Do I or Don't I??

kevg1889

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum as I'm trying to make a big decision. My wife & I really fancy giving cruising a try, and we've found one that appeals to us, on the MSC Fantasia, leaving Marseille on the 24th October and touring the Med. We are tied to school holidays, as my wife is a teacher, so this fits in with our dates. I would really appreciate any views on the ship, advise on cabins, packages, trips etc before I take the plunge.

I look forward to hearing from anyone that has been on this ship, or any other for that matter, that can give me an insight into what to expect:confused:

Hi Kevg1889,

I haven't been on the Fantasia yet, but we did our first two MSC cruises last summer and this spring. That tour you're looking at sounds nice, in fact I'm taking a closer look myself .... our kid has fall holidays as well during that time and I love the port stops on Malta and at Naples .... sadly only half days but better than nothing!

Be my guest to check out my reviews from our MSC cruises ... or maybe our very first cruise in 2012 (on RCI), when we didn't know either yet if cruising would be for us :).

Stef

We have been on her twice, and she is a beautiful ship, with great staff.

go for it, you will love it

the only thing you need to take, is a positive attitude, and you will have an amazing time.

And if you drink, buy the Allegrissimo package, just do it.

:D

Hi Kevin. MSC is Italian run with emphasis on Italian food, many Italians shouting at each other and, as MSC offers good deals for kids accompanying parents, there will loads of kids onboard. MSC probably offers the best value for med cruises at the moment. The ships are beautiful and the entertainment exceptional. The trade off is as outlined above and notoriously poor customer service. This does not apply to wait and service staff who are almost all very courteous and very hard working. Give it a go!

I am curious why the question was asked.

We don't know what you like or your interests are and I have NEVER advised anyone to cruise or not. Irrespective of cruise line, I know several once only cruisers - they enjoyed the cruise but it is not their preferred vacation type.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Annie

I was looking for advise on whether it is a good ship for a first cruise, and advise on best rooms etc having never done it before. I,m sure that everyone sought as much detail as possible before making a decision?

I was looking for advise on whether it is a good ship for a first cruise, and advise on best rooms etc having never done it before. I,m sure that everyone sought as much detail as possible before making a decision?

Not I :)

I may be an exception. I never sought any advice but I generally don't when it comes to holidays. I know my own mind.

I saw the cruise, liked the itinerary and booked it.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

If you have not cruised before, consider that lines like Costa, MSC and to some extend even RCI are like 'entry level'. They will provide a good holiday if your expectations are not too high. Ships tend to be nice and they are now so large that one sometimes do not feel the sea, etc.

A cruise is not a trip to get to know places but simply to sample them. a good way to test if you would like to one day return to this or that port or island, etc.

You do well in asking although opinions are subjective and, if you read the reviews, those complaining seem to be keener to manifest their opinion than those who liked it but still it will give you an idea of what to expect. have a look aas well on publications like the Berlitz Guide to Cruising and cruise ships which actually has a section dedicated to those doing their first cruise (what to expect, etc), etc.

But, whatever you gather as info, I would say you should give cruises a try :-)

Not I :)

I may be an exception. I never sought any advice but I generally don't when it comes to holidays. I know my own mind.

I saw the cruise, liked the itinerary and booked it.

Annie

Neither did we. Our first cruise was with NCL and only based on the great bargain we got. 10 Days from Barcelona to Madeira & Canary Islands for only €500 incl. return ticket from Amsterdam to Barcelona. We thought that for that amount we should give it a try and see if we liked cruising. And we do like it. Not to do it every year because we like landbased trips as well.

So my advise is to go with an open mind, it is a holiday! You are away, you get pampered and you do not have to do the cooking yourself!

Do it! I loved the MSC Fantasia so much that I'm booked again for February :D

I did ship excursions on every port, it made me feel safe and care-free but this is not a must and a very personal choice.

I'm sure you will love the ship! Read my review if you feel like it, I cover how it was my experience as first time cruiser.

Happy cruising!

Edited by Bra_BE2014

Neither did we. Our first cruise was with NCL and only based on the great bargain we got. 10 Days from Barcelona to Madeira & Canary Islands for only €500 incl. return ticket from Amsterdam to Barcelona. We thought that for that amount we should give it a try and see if we liked cruising. And we do like it. Not to do it every year because we like landbased trips as well.

So my advise is to go with an open mind, it is a holiday! You are away, you get pampered and you do not have to do the cooking yourself!

My 1st cruise was chosen because it was an Atlantic crossing, a bucket list trip, at a good price.

Although I had river cruised, I knew nothing re dress codes, open dining etc.

I just treated the whole cruise as an adventure.

Like yourself, I mix my cruises with land trips.

I think it is possible to over-research a holiday.

Enjoy

Annie

I think it is possible to over-research a holiday.

Enjoy

Annie

Totally agree. If you plan and research everything the fun of a holiday is gone for me. I love it when things just go with the flow. Especially in not Western countries, planning can be a pain in the ... Because it never goes the way you think it has to go. If this bothers you, than it can ruin your holiday. For me it is part of my holiday.