MSC Lirica after Shanghai May 2016

GrandyMandy

"In early 2016, MSC Cruises will send MSC Lirica to Shanghai, China according to sources familiar with the new deployment.

The cruise ship will be stretched at Fincantieri this fall, ahead of deployment in South America during 2015-2106 winter.

Following that, MSC Cruises planned a repositioning cruise to Shanghai in March 2016, and it's believed that Lirica will stay in China for next year's summer.

MSC made it no secret they have been exploring the Chinese market. The line commented that some of their new seven ships being currently built may be designated for the cruise market in China."

Taking on Costa ?

Looking forward to itinerary and prices.

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...

Last April we booked a cruise on the Lirica for 5th May 2016, simply because the itinerary (Haifa and Alexandria) was one I particularly wanted to go on.

A week ago we had a phone call from our travel agent advising that the cruise had been cancelled due to "operational reasons".

No other explanation was forthcoming, so I searched online and found (not from MSC) that the Lirica would be in China in May......

I know in T&Cs itineraries are liable to change, and we accept this, but a change in Continent?????

We have had no communication at all from MSC - at least an apology would have been nice.

Sorry will not bother even looking at MSC again.

Last April we booked a cruise on the Lirica for 5th May 2016, simply because the itinerary (Haifa and Alexandria) was one I particularly wanted to go on.

A week ago we had a phone call from our travel agent advising that the cruise had been cancelled due to "operational reasons".

No other explanation was forthcoming, so I searched online and found (not from MSC) that the Lirica would be in China in May......

I know in T&Cs itineraries are liable to change, and we accept this, but a change in Continent?????

We have had no communication at all from MSC - at least an apology would have been nice.

Sorry will not bother even looking at MSC again.

I had the same experience when the moved Opera from the Canary Islands to Cuba. Keep after them or your TA. I was offered an alternative Canary Isles cruise of 3 days longer. I got my flight costs refunded - cancellations and amendment costs and €100 OBC. But you have to persist, be firm and take no sh1+ from them. They are difficult to manage so be prepared for a fight. Like you though would be very wary of booking with them again! Don't expect a rapid or speedy response from them. Plague them on Facebook - they don't like it and will respond there before they will respond anywhere else.

I think it is a cheek to tell you the cancellation is for 'operational reasons' when it is clearly for 'commercial reasons'.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same experience when the moved Opera from the Canary Islands to Cuba. Keep after them or your TA. I was offered an alternative Canary Isles cruise of 3 days longer. I got my flight costs refunded - cancellations and amendment costs and €100 OBC. But you have to persist, be firm and take no sh1+ from them. They are difficult to manage so be prepared for a fight. Like you though would be very wary of booking with them again! Don't expect a rapid or speedy response from them. Plague them on Facebook - they don't like it and will respond there before they will respond anywhere else.

I think it is a cheek to tell you the cancellation is for 'operational reasons' when it is clearly for 'commercial reasons'.

I emailed UK MD of MSC and CEO of Reader Offers Ltd (who we originally booked through) this morning requesting refund of deposit plus interest earned by MSC on OUR money by end September latest.

ROL responded almost immediately. They chased MSC who finally sent through the cancellation notice (dated 15th September!!!). Cheque has now been raised for the deposit plus, as a gesture of goodwill, ROL are paying us the interest amount requested.

It pays to go to the top!

Thanks Reader Offers Ltd.

Edited by pashkaro