Fort Lauderdale pre cruise hotel after 22 hours travel

xxpinksaltxx

Hey everyone,

We are looking for some pre cruise hotel recommendations for Fort Lauderdale for January 2018.

We will be travelling from Australia and only staying in FLL the night before the cruise. We have a 14.5 hour flight from Aus, followed by a 4 hour layover and then 5 hours to FLL. We dont arrive until 6pm.

Ideally we would like a hotel close to the cruise port however these all seem $$$. So we are willing to stay at the aiport too.

We normally stay in boutique hotels or modern chain hotels. Our only requirements are free wifi and decent hotel meal options or close by options ( we are happy with cheesecake factory etc). Would prefer updated hotel rooms, which is why we are struggling to find somewhere near the port.

Thank you for your help :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info. Dates and budget will help the suggestions to be closer to your mark.

January is peak tourist season, especially around new year and the MLK holiday weekend -- book something now that you can live with and then keep shopping for a better deal.

The Hyatt Place, Renaissance, or Hilton Marina will all fit the bill.

Not cheap but modern and within walking distance to a ton of restaurants and the port.

I'm sure you'll just want to eat and crash.

I think the Lago Mar is amazing but since it will be dark when you arrive, the views will be lost on you (it's dark over the ocean) and isn't within walking distance of anything.

You could always call http://www.DeliveryDudes.com and order from any one of their dozens of so great restaurants (just about all restaurants on 17th Street and Las Olas) and crash at the Lago Mar. It may be the most serene of the above hotels.

Thank you for all the suggestions. We are definately leaning towards the Renaissance, bit it is a bit out of our price tag (Au$440). However we didn't realise it was peak season.

We may take your advice and book, and hope a better deal comes along. We looked at Hampton Inn which is rated well on tripadvisor, however the location isn't ideal.

We do appreciate how the Renaissance is close to Starbucks, walgreens etc.

Renaissance and Hilton Marina are the two we use for pre or post cruise nights. Pretty much any hotels in Port Everglades are pricey. Weekends are always higher as most ships depart Saturday or Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the hotels in the 17th Street area are overrated and overpriced, mostly because people stay at whichever, see the water and a few yachts, so they think everything is wonderful and groovy then they rave about it on cruise critic as the only option in Ft Lauderdale. And that drives up prices.

Yes, it's close to the port and the area is nice, but so what? What difference does it really make if you are 1 mile from the port entrance or 2 or 3 miles from the port entrance? There are lots of nicer, newer hotels in nice areas, but they are a little farther away and you can't see yachts if you take a 2 mile walk to the Intracoastal and back.

You could stay at the Hampton Inn-Plantation which has both a complementary airport and Port Everglades shuttle, breakfast and within walking distance of two nice malls, a Publix Grocery Store, Total Wine and dozen of restaurants. It's a few miles from the port, but so what? You're about to go on a cruise where you will see plenty of water.

You could stay at one of the four hotels located at I-95 and Griffin Road (Homestead Suites, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn and Courtyard) which are a couple miles south of the airport and Port Everglades and a short walk to two of the oldest, icon restaurants in the Ft Lauderdale area which have been open 60% of the years Ft Lauderdale has been an incorporated city.

Rustic Inn Crabhouse...

http://arkrestaurants.com/rustic-inn-fort-lauderdale/

Tropical Acres Steakhouse...

http://www.tropicalacres.com/

Hey everyone,

We will be travelling from Australia and only staying in FLL the night before the cruise. We have a 14.5 hour flight from Aus, followed by a 4 hour layover and then 5 hours to FLL. We dont arrive until 6pm.

Just out of curiousity...Would you be able to get a better flight itinerary (and perhaps less expensive) if you flew into MIA instead of FLL?

I ask because the TriRail runs straight from MIA to the four hotels at I-95 and Griffin Road I mentioned above, making it an easy and inexpensive commute to Ft Lauderdale.

Just out of curiousity...Would you be able to get a better flight itinerary (and perhaps less expensive) if you flew into MIA instead of FLL?

I ask because the TriRail runs straight from MIA to the four hotels at I-95 and Griffin Road I mentioned above, making it an easy and inexpensive commute to Ft Lauderdale.

After flying for all of those many hours, who would want to take the TriRail?!!

Hi Lido_Deck,

We are in a bit of a tricky situation. My partner works for Qantas, so we fly staff travel to LAX. Interline travel is risky so we only travel to LAX, and then pay full fare from LAX.

There are definately better connections, however as we can't book them as a connecting flight, we could risk missing the flight with no compensation. We've put in the 4 hour layover just as a buffer incase of delays. It's not ideal, but we have been delayed in LAX customs before.

We have found a flight from LAX to FLL for AU $200 each. Not sure if this is overally cheap, but we were happy with it. We did look into flying into MIA, however the direct flight was AU $350.

Yes we must seem like total cheapies lol.

Hi Lido_Deck,

We are in a bit of a tricky situation. My partner works for Qantas, so we fly staff travel to LAX. Interline travel is risky so we only travel to LAX, and then pay full fare from LAX.

Lucky you!

There are definately better connections, however as we can't book them as a connecting flight, we could risk missing the flight with no compensation. We've put in the 4 hour layover just as a buffer incase of delays. It's not ideal, but we have been delayed in LAX customs before.

I would think there would be a lot more flights options to MIA than FLL from LAX.

We have found a flight from LAX to FLL for AU $200 each. Not sure if this is overally cheap, but we were happy with it. We did look into flying into MIA, however the direct flight was AU $350.

What is AU?

Yes we must seem like total cheapies lol.

He who gets the best deal wins!

Southwest's published schedule only go to November 3 right now, but I am seeing fares a low as $148. January, 2018 will be out in a couple months. They have 10-12 departures per day, no non-stop flights from LAX to FLL, but there are some 1-stops and no plane change. Can you get an interline rate from Southwest?

With Virgin I am finding non-stop fares as low as $155 in January, 2018.

Thank you for having a quick look at the flights for us. I really appreciate it. Domestic flights within the US seem so cheap compared to what we pay here. The Virgin flights were the ones we saw. AU is Australian Dollar, so there is a bit of price difference due to the poor dollar at the moment.

We could travel interline with Southwest. However, because we work for another airline our onload priority is very low. I think interline employees are listed as the last ones to be given a seat.

As much as I really love a discount, it's definately very stressful being on standby.

Thank you for having a quick look at the flights for us. I really appreciate it. Domestic flights within the US seem so cheap compared to what we pay here. The Virgin flights were the ones we saw. AU is Australian Dollar, so there is a bit of price difference due to the poor dollar at the moment.

We could travel interline with Southwest. However, because we work for another airline our onload priority is very low. I think interline employees are listed as the last ones to be given a seat.

As much as I really love a discount, it's definately very stressful being on standby.

Thank you. I've learned a bit more about international travel from you. I'm used to going the other way to Europe, but I'm dying to get Down Under some day.

My niece flies for Southwest and it's my first choice when I fly. I would have complete confidence they would have some empty seats in January and could get you on a flight. But then, I'm not the one that would be standing and waiting at LAX. Good luck and stay in touch here.

I was actually about to ask you how Southwest was. I'm glad they are a decent airline to fly with.

We are looking at flights from FLL to MCO and the only airline that fits our itinerary is Southwest (assuming the flights stay the same). We are a bit iffy about the "help yourself seating", but did see that they offer a early check in type option that offers you a better boarding group.

We return to FLL on Superbowl Sunday. The Superbowl isn't very big in Australia, so my partner is desperate to watch it live in a bar. However, we are also heading straight to Disney world. Hoping to get a mid morning flight, and arrive at Disney world by lunch. We considered staying overnight in Miami, but can't justify the cost.

There's definitely heaps to do here in Australia. I hope you are able to make it here one day. Honestly, the flight isn't that bad, especially if you are on a decent airline on a newer plane.

I was actually about to ask you how Southwest was. I'm glad they are a decent airline to fly with.

We are looking at flights from FLL to MCO and the only airline that fits our itinerary is Southwest (assuming the flights stay the same). We are a bit iffy about the "help yourself seating", but did see that they offer a early check in type option that offers you a better boarding group.

We return to FLL on Superbowl Sunday. The Superbowl isn't very big in Australia, so my partner is desperate to watch it live in a bar. However, we are also heading straight to Disney world. Hoping to get a mid morning flight, and arrive at Disney world by lunch. We considered staying overnight in Miami, but can't justify the cost.

There's definitely heaps to do here in Australia. I hope you are able to make it here one day. Honestly, the flight isn't that bad, especially if you are on a decent airline on a newer plane.

Once you get used to Southwest's "cattle call" you get annoyed with other airlines taking forever to load and go. You can pay an extra (I think $10 per person) and get priority check-in and boarding or you sit on the computer exactly 24 hours prior trying to check-in before everyone else does.

You can drive to Orlando in about the same time as flying. In Florida there is no drop charge to pick up a rental car in one city and dropping it in another. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive.

We just stayed at and loved the Hyatt Place Convention Center near 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale....right next to a large shopping center with shops & restaurants (love Duffy's Sportsbar)...this area is close to the port (10min) and airport (15min) and is a favorite area for pre-cruise. They have a great included hot breakfast buffet and a shuttle from FLL to the hotel for $2.00 per room (not per person) quick and easy. Try pricing them using:

http://www.valuetrips.com

We are booked at the Springhill Suites in Dania Beach for June of this year for our pre-cruise stay. They offer free airport shuttle from FLL, free shuttle to Port Everglades, free breakfast buffet and wifi. I can't speak to the service or anything but will try to remember to check back and let you know.

We are booked at the Springhill Suites in Dania Beach for June of this year for our pre-cruise stay. They offer free airport shuttle from FLL, free shuttle to Port Everglades, free breakfast buffet and wifi. I can't speak to the service or anything but will try to remember to check back and let you know.

We have stayed at Springhill Suites several times and highly recommend it. Staff is very friendly and helpful and breakfast is pretty good (for free). Shuttles to pier ran very efficiently.

Only negative is dining nearby. Lots of fast food places, but sit down dining is about 1/2 mile walk away (Red Lobster, TGIF, Dave& Busters, Hollywood Ale). Shopping for supplies pretty much limited to Kmart and BJs Wholesale club nearby.

You could stay at the Hampton Inn-Plantation which has both a complementary airport and Port Everglades shuttle, breakfast and within walking distance of two nice malls, a Publix Grocery Store, Total Wine and dozen of restaurants. It's a few miles from the port, but so what? You're about to go on a cruise where you will see plenty of water.

I totally agree. On past cruises from Port Everglades or Miami I have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott and Hampton Inn - Plantation. Nice hotels, lots of shops and restaurants walking distance, and usually less $$$. Plus by the time you get your luggage and clear customs it's going to be late and dark outside, not going to see much of the harbor likely anyway.

Nothing wrong with searching for the best deal!

Thank you for suggesting the Hampton Inn Plantation. We have just made a tentative booking. We never looked that far as we assumed shuttles etc would cost too much to get to the port.

With the malls close by and restaurants its a good draw card.

Thank you for suggesting the Hampton Inn Plantation. We have just made a tentative booking. We never looked that far as we assumed shuttles etc would cost too much to get to the port.

Then we'll be neighbors. I live just a few blocks from that area.

While I understand the convenience of booking a package that include transfers, you have to consider at least 4 factors:

1. Those vans are crowded with people and luggage.

2. You will stop at various ships to drop/pick - losing time

3. You are always on their schedule not your own

4. Nothing is FREE! Those shuttles generally cost more than Uber, etc.

Personally, I would opt for nice hotels near the port such as the Candlewood Suites (instead of further away at Plantation unless you actually want a night-time mall experience hoping your flight is not delayed!) and book the room without transfers. I've stayed there and others nearby and never paid more than $130 or so before taxes. Then use your savings to book private transport everywhere (Uber is great).

While I understand the convenience of booking a package that include transfers, you have to consider at least 4 factors:

1. Those vans are crowded with people and luggage.

2. You will stop at various ships to drop/pick - losing time

3. You are always on their schedule not your own

4. Nothing is FREE! Those shuttles generally cost more than Uber, etc.

Personally, I would opt for nice hotels near the port such as the Candlewood Suites (instead of further away at Plantation unless you actually want a night-time mall experience hoping your flight is not delayed!) and book the room without transfers. I've stayed there and others nearby and never paid more than $130 or so before taxes. Then use your savings to book private transport everywhere (Uber is great).

Well...There's no nice way to say this...You're just wrong....About it all.

1. The van pulls a small cargo trailer and all the luggage goes in there.

2. There are no pick ups at the port.

3. The Hampton Inn runs a shuttle every hour all morning and into the afternoon, so you can pick your schedule.

4. The Shuttle is included with the room just like breakfast.

I don't know what time of year you've stay at Candlewood Suites but this Friday the rates are $224 to $263 and Saturday is sold out. Also, the area leaves much to be desired, especially if you're there more than one night. I think I would rather be close to Total Wine than Big Daddy's Liquor. Choices of restaurants in the area around Candlewood Suites are limited to Wendy's, Lil Red's Bar-B-Que and Old Heidelberg, whereas there are literally dozens of choices of restaurants near the Hampton Inn in Plantation. It's not for everyone, but if the price is much lower than hotels close to the port, I agree with you, save your money.