Explorer Master Suite

We will be in one in 2 1/2 weeks. Will report back!

There have been reports from people staying in an aft Grand Suite and they had no reports of soot. I believe that the passenger that observed this was observing a one time event.

Not Explorer but we had a noticeable soot problem on Voyager in an aft suite, but this was years ago. When I mentioned this to Jamie (CD on our last cruise) he told me they hadn't had any soot issues since they changed to a different type of fuel. Maybe they have to burn the older fuel or a different formulation or grade in certain parts of the world?

I know after I stained a pair of shorts sitting on a deck chair, I just got in the habit of tossing a towel down before I sat down. No real issue...in our case, it was like fallout, not a heavy coating or clouds of smoke.

I wasn't aware that this was a pressing issue

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One poster that sailed on the Explorer said that there was soot on the aft decks that required a cleaning crew to clean the carpeting, etc. I believe that this was an anomaly as no one has reported on this before or since that post (and we did not hear about it during our 3 Explorer cruises).

One would assume that in the almost 8 months that the Explorer has been sailing, winds would have hit it from all directions repeatedly. There were near hurricane force winds on one sailing (no soot reported). It seems that this happened on one cruise. Perhaps someone with knowledge of cruise ships could give us an idea as to why this occurred.

We have had (minor) issues of soot spotting on the balcony of Horizon Suites on Mariner. Not a big problem but annoying if it got onto clothing - Regent laundered and/or compensated when this occurred

From memory this usually happened when the ship was accelerating away from ports i.e. when more engine power was being called for