Advice for evening dressing on board Mariner to Alaska

Dear Cruisers: First, thanks to all of you who replied to an earlier request for advice on proper attire for excursions on an Alaskan cruise in late May. Next, I would appreciate any advice/suggestions for proper attire for dinner on board. Specifically, should I bring clothing more suitable for fall weather dressing such as sweaters and slacks or should I lean towards Spring/Summer attire--linen pants/tunic tops, etc. I have heard comments ranging from sweaters and boots to Spring dresses with dressy sandals. Therefore, if anyone has taken this May cruise to Alaska and can give me an idea of what type of clothing (to wear indoors/outdoors (but not coats), I would be most appreciative. Also, did anyone use their verandas during this cruise?

We have taken two May Alaska cruises and feel that it is the bet time to visit Alaska. Having said that, as mentioned on another Alaska thread, on one May cruise, the temperatures at one point was 80 degrees (causing me to visit the local tourist shops to purchase t-shirts). In terms of the ship, it is always the same temperature so whether you are in Alaska or the Caribbean, people dress the same.

One consideration in the evening is that CR (Compass Rose) is on the cool side at 6:30 p.m. but warms up quickly as it fills up. So, for those of you who feel cool, a pashmina, sweater or wrap would work well for you.

Keep in mind that all of us have different temperature tolerances. For instance, people from warm states (Florida for example) could find 68 degrees quite cold while people from cooler weather find 68 degrees perfect. When CR warms up to around 72 degrees, I find it too warm and others find it perfect. Also, passengers living in areas without air conditioning find the ship too cold. So, consider what temperature you find comfortable.

Men in Alaska will generally wear short or long sleeved collared shirts. Women wear slacks and a short or long sleeved nice top. On "special nights" (the night of the Captain's Reception - usually the 2nd night at sea), people tend to dress up a bit more.

As long as you are following Regent's dress code you will be fine. Enjoy your cruise!

We were on for 2 weeks last May in Alaska. What I brought for evenings--a long sleeve sheath dress, a sleeveless but pretty heavy sparkly dress, leather pants with a sequin top with short sleeves, a long sleeve lace dress, a sleeveless lace dress. More in the fall winter color palette.

We were on for 2 weeks last May in Alaska. What I brought for evenings--a long sleeve sheath dress, a sleeveless but pretty heavy sparkly dress, leather pants with a sequin top with short sleeves, a long sleeve lace dress, a sleeveless lace dress. More in the fall winter color palette.

You are such a fashionista (and look great in everything you wear).

You are such a fashionista (and look great in everything you wear).

You are so sweet. You were fortunate to miss the just finished cruise in SE Asia, where I just did my best to show up semi presentable. It is difficult when you only have one functioning non dominant arm.

About six years, we did a cruise to Alaska in August on the Navigator, two weeks after my daughter was married. I wore the mother of the bride dress, because lets face it I still could fit in to it, it cost a fortune and where else was I going to wear the long green gown! The rest of the closet was casual summer dresses, because I run warm most of the time! Enjoy the trip.

That's good to hear, it's been awhile since we did Alaska.

Guess I forgot how warm it is. We will be cruising for the

first time later this year on Regent. And a ways off but we just

booked are 3rd cruise on Regent - Tokyo - Vancouver via

Alaska.(April2019).

Rick

For dinner on a cruise- Alaska, the Med, or Caribbean, I pretty much wear basic black pants, with a couple of nice and/or dressy tops, and a black dress for the fancy occasions. As well as a nice black sweater, if I'm too cool. Really cuts down on my packing requirements, but my husband still complains that I bring too much!!!

For dinner on a cruise- Alaska, the Med, or Caribbean, I pretty much wear basic black pants, with a couple of nice and/or dressy tops, and a black dress for the fancy occasions. As well as a nice black sweater, if I'm too cool. Really cuts down on my packing requirements, but my husband still complains that I bring too much!!!

What you describe is sensible (much more sensible than my two 50 pound pieces of luggage that I always take:-) Your husband should consider himself lucky:D