Price Increase 1 April for ALL 2017 Cruises?

mrlevin

At least that is what Regent website states. They list 125 cruises departing 3 April or later in this list of 125 cruises. Amazingly, there are some cruises still wide open; I wonder what is going to happen to those? Will they raise them by $100 and then increase air credit $1000? Will be interesting to see what happens on the 1st.

Marc

I seriously doubt that Regent will increase prices on itineraries that are not selling (Alaska for example). As I have posted previously, the quarterly price increases seem like a threat and as such, we are incensed by them. If Regent has a good reason to raise prices, go ahead and raise them - no matter what time of the year it occurs.. To threaten loyal cruisers, IMO, is a serious flaw.

One of my petty (albeit few) gripes with Regent - their web and print advertising - Price Increase in 20 Minutes!!! Free Air! Free Food! Free Everything!!!

It reminds me of the late-night infomercials - "But wait! There's More!" and "A Special Free Gift for the First 500 Callers!!"

I feel that it cheapens the brand and I really do wish they'd quit. Or tone it down a few dozen notches at the very least.

• 2 weeks later...

I know some of the posters to this board do a sophisticated analysis. I can only share the information on the two I have booked. The first 10/8/17 Venice to Athens, they raised the base fare by $200 but are now offering a $500 "book now" shipboard credit. When I booked there was a $300 book now credit, so its a wash for me. The second is 2/20/18 Sydney to Auckland they raised the base fares by $100.

Rick, I agree with you however this "price increase" is one of the most interesting (perhaps annoying) ones. At the same time they do the "price increase" they offer a $500 "book now" shipboard credit for all 2017 Med and Alaska cruises and $250 for all remaining 2017 cruises. So unless one looks at their particular cruise they don't know if there was actually a net price decrease. It would be interesting if someone booked a cruise onboard with the price guarantee whether they could get a reduction due to the "book now" credit. Before someone chooses to beat me up, yes I know its only a couple of hundred dollars, and I know I am blessed to be able to afford Regent cruises, and unless there is an itinerary that Regent doesn't offer, I always use Regent, however, if I can get a couple hundred dollars more to use on board I will take it and enjoy it.

If they get more cash up front and you get a ship board credit for $500.00-you have to ask how much profit is taken by Regent on that $500.00 like wine, tours and whatever. So your really not getting $500.00.

I think that depends on what you spend the credit on. If you use the credit to buy something you would have bought anyway then you really are getting $500 in value.

If on the other hand you spend the OBC on items you otherwise would not have considered (I will be sampling top-shelf whiskey which I would not do with my own money) that's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's really a joke.

We booked a cruise awhile ago and got a $2000.00 early booking bonus. Today the price is $100.00 more than we paid without the booking bonus-if you book today for the same cruise your paying $100 more but getting the $500.00 OBC making I paid $400.00 more for are cruise. Yes my TA is on it - but that doesn't say much for Regent marketing and people that want to book early.

Rick

I think that depends on what you spend the credit on. If you use the credit to buy something you would have bought anyway then you really are getting $500 in value.

If on the other hand you spend the OBC on items you otherwise would not have considered (I will be sampling top-shelf whiskey which I would not do with my own money) that's a different story.

But technically, it IS your money. If you give Regent a lot of money and they give you a little bit back, it's your money. Just like a tax refund.

Don't get me wrong - I do the same thing. A lot of us do, or they wouldn't play the game.

If you're ever in SC and want to sample some top shelf whiskeys (scotch, anyhow), give me a holler. ;p:whiskey-glass:

Bill, I think your likening of Regent to the IRS is not quite apples to apples but I get your point. I was fortunate enough to catch a price drop a few weeks before final payment as Regent shuffled fares.

I would feel at least as upset about Rick's situation as he is. I hope Regent or his TA makes it right.

This cruise is my first TA-arranged travel since the old Corporate travel department days of the 80's and early 90's. I lucked into a pretty good one this time but after reading these boards for a few months I will be doing some shopping before picking a TA for our next cruise.

I'm not sure when I will be in your neck of the woods but I'll keep your offer in mind[emoji6]