Explorer and the saga of 'Whistling Windows'

machotspur,

Please do not be discouraged from posting a comprehensive review of your recent Explorer cruise

A fair, balanced and unbiased review from experienced travellers new to Regent will bring a welcome perspective and will be a useful resource for many who read this Board

Hopefully Regent will prioritise fixing the root cause of the whistling doors, but I will remember your door handle trick for our cruise next month just in case; thanks :)

^^^^^ I echo flossie009--please do post your review/thoughts about your cruise. And thank you for all your contributions thus far. :)

Mrs Travelcat2

What follows is a bit of a dig at one of your posts I’m afraid. I hope that I have been able to do this politely.

In the relatively short time I have posted on the Regent CC Board I have always found your comments and responses to my posts to be polite, and helpful, for which I thank you.

However - is it not more than a little disrespectful to the various posters to this thread, to suggest that the ‘door whistling’ is just a minor issue ? Of the responses to my original post almost all have acknowledged the problem and most have agreed that there may be some merit, in some cases at least, in the very basic suggestion I have made.

I would be very interested in the objective data that leads you to suggest that the whistling door issue is ‘not as widespread as it sounds’ as you state.

I am also disappointed with your suggestion that the observations of guests that are new to a cruise company have in some way less merit than those that have travelled ‘350 days’ on the ships.

I for one find the ‘fresh’ opinions & reports from new Regent guests, as useful as those from long term guests.

In your recent post you stated –

it will be refreshing to have the ship out of that area (and dare I say....... back to having more Regent regulars onboard to make comparisons with other Regent ships).

My wife and I have travelled to almost 100 countries, by land & sea, often in some very nice properties & ships. In other words we are very experienced travellers, just not on a Regent ship. We were hoping to post our observations regarding our current Regent Explorer Caribbean cruise soon, particularly for the benefit of like minded ‘newbies’. Your comment however does little to encourage this, unintentionally I’m sure.

One further piece of info I have sourced, that is of interest – to me at least. On this particular cruise 40% of the guests are new to Regent. I have no way of knowing factually how this varies by cruise itinerary, but assuming this is typical for Explorer then new customers are clearly very important financially to Regent.

Thank you again for some of the helpful information provided on this board prior to our cruise. I wish you well for your cruise begining on 26th.

Machotspur,

Thank you for your comments and please post your experiences - it really is the only way others can get a balanced set of reviews. I agree that there are dominant posters on this board that try to refute every review that does not match their own which is why more balanced reviews are so very helpful!

Looking forward to your observations!

Edited by LynnRuns

I am starting to organize items to pack as we, too, board the Explorer this Sunday. Am thinking of bringing along my own roll of tape for the whistlers just in case the door handle options doesn't work in our suite.

Also for those on board now...who is the musical duo at this time?

See y'all on board.

Kwaj girl (and Kwaj boy)

aka Sandy & Dana

The duo on board is called Absolute Duo and they are really great. The lounge was packed every time they played. This is their 1st time on Regent and they'll be on for 4 months. Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Machotspur,

Thank you for your comments and please post your experiences - it really is the only way others can get a balanced set of reviews. I agree that there are dominant posters on this board that try to refute every review that does not match their own which is why more balanced reviews are so very helpful!

Looking forward to your observations!

+1 Where is the like button.

I too would like to hear from new posters about the Explorer and comparisons to other luxury lines. The dominant posters are always defending the product and you can't win in a reply. The dominant posters put up smoke and mirrors. I think people want to hear from everyone not just a couple of people answering every post.

The duo on board is called Absolute Duo and they are really great. The lounge was packed every time they played. This is their 1st time on Regent and they'll be on for 4 months. Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Thank you! We were hoping for Kasia & Boogie - they were great on our grand Voyage in '15. But will definitely check out AD this time. 👍

Just a couple of thoughts. I enjoy and want to read reviews from anyone who takes the time to share their experience. I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but I don't need anyone else to tell me how to interpret what I read. I really don't get a sense of anyone being overly negative about Explorer. Or Mariner, Voyager or Navigator for that matter. There will always be positive and negative comments and opinions. I think most of us are capable of sorting through the comments and deciding what is relevant to what we want in a cruise.

Just a couple of thoughts. I enjoy and want to read reviews from anyone who takes the time to share their experience. I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but I don't need anyone else to tell me how to interpret what I read. I really don't get a sense of anyone being overly negative about Explorer. Or Mariner, Voyager or Navigator for that matter. There will always be positive and negative comments and opinions. I think most of us are capable of sorting through the comments and deciding what is relevant to what we want in a cruise.

+1

Marc

perfect

In terms of the Explorer, suppliers, the builder, etc. While I don't know what it is like in the U.K., in the U.S. we generally purchase something with a warranty. If the item does not meet the manufacturer's claims, we get a full or partial refund or a replacement of the item. No matter how much research we do, sometimes the item is faulty (this happens all to often with computers for example -- defective even though the manufacturer has a great reputation).

Yes we do have manufacturers’ guarantees and warranties in the UK (surprise, surprise), but what this area of consumer rights has to do with cruising on Regent I have no idea :confused:

In the UK, consumers are also covered by the Sale of Goods Act, which states that goods must be “as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose”; this legislation puts the onus for replacement or refund on the trader that sold the goods………notwithstanding the period or terms of any manufacturer’s warranty

Obviously none of this is applicable to the shipbuilder or suppliers contracted to NCLH/Regent; their obligations, including obligations relating to defects, will have been be set out in the relevant contract conditions or supply order terms agreed between Client and Contractor. I don’t believe any of us have seen these documents, and I for one have no desire or need to see them

Sorry that this is so long but I'm finding the negativity towards the Explorer a bit over the top and feel the need to give "the other side of the story".

Regent has set the bar very high by branding Explorer "The Most Luxurious Cruise Ship Ever Built"

The hype has obviously attracted a number of customers with very high expectations; some of them are disappointed

You obviously feel that I, as well as others, am being OTT with negativity towards Explorer; nothing could be further from the truth

All I did was gather some, not all, of the issues mentioned by CC members who have been on Explorer........including your goodself

We are looking forward to our cruise on Explorer next month and will report back on our conclusions, both objectively and subjectively; our benchmark being a Penthouse Suite on Mariner (our present favourite Regent ship)

I can't resist asking. How will you hold Regent responsible for something that may not be working correctly in your suite when you board next month? I ask this because the U.K. has some consumer protection laws that are unheard of in North America. Could you receive compensation if, for instance, there was whistling in your suite?

Thank you for your question. I will try to be brief in my response

Surely it is not in question that any issue we have whilst on a Regent cruise is Regent’s responsibility (unless we have caused the issue ourselves). It is going to get us nowhere pursuing one of Regent’s contractors or suppliers; that is for Regent to do

If we find something wrong in our suite, we will bring it to the attention of our steward or butler; if they are not on duty we will ring reception or the relevant department. In our experience this usually brings results e.g. on our last cruise (Voyager) we found the balcony door to be extremely stiff; within 12 hours of reporting the problem maintenance had visited, adjusted & lubricated the door and we had no further problem. A year ago we had a more major issue; within 24 hours we were moved to another suite

If we found that our first report had not been acted on, we would have no hesitation in taking the issue to the Head of Housekeeping or General Manager. To date this has never been necessary

We also provide constructive feedback to Regent through the Comments Cards and by emailing/writing to Head Office.

It is not about compensation, it is about ensuring that we get the cruising experience for which we have paid. We love Regent and it is only through bringing issues to their attention that they will continue with high standards and improve – whether that is in the design & build of their ships, choice of entertainment & leisure activities, menus, staff training etc etc

The mark of a good company is not that they are always 100% perfect but that they deal with any issues that do occur promptly, courteously and to the full satisfaction of the customer

IMO, making excuses for Regent’s management (either on-board or in the head office) is not helpful

Getting back to the whistling doors; yes, we will be very upset if we have this issue and are told that the only way to fix it is to put gaffer tape all around. In this scenario I would seriously question Regent’s head office as to why they are continuing to accommodate passengers in suites that have a latent defect, which has been known about for some time

Finally, you asked about UK Consumer Protection

For Regent UK, the main requirement is that they must hold an Air Travel Organisers Licence (ATOL) as they are selling “holiday packages” that include air travel. This government-backed scheme protects the customer from losing money or being stranded abroad if there is a default by the ATOL licence holder or the companies (e.g. airlines or hotels) they are using to make up the “package”

Regent UK are also members of ABTA, an industry funded body, which provides recourse if a customer has an unresolved problem or complaint with a travel company

Finally it should be noted that, unlike Regent’s US Ts&Cs, Regent UK are legally responsible for addressing any default by their contractors and suppliers e.g. if an airline cancels a flight or misplaces baggage

Hope this helps – sorry but I wasn’t brief after all. Please don’t feel obliged to respond

:*

Edited by flossie009

Flossie009,

Thank you for your informative response to this issue. I too would be a bit "put off" if I sailed on "the most luxurious ship ever built", and had to put up with latent defects.

Yes we do have manufacturers’ guarantees and warranties in the UK (surprise, surprise), but what this area of consumer rights has to do with cruising on Regent I have no idea :confused:

In the UK, consumers are also covered by the Sale of Goods Act, which states that goods must be “as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose”; this legislation puts the onus for replacement or refund on the trader that sold the goods………notwithstanding the period or terms of any manufacturer’s warranty

Obviously none of this is applicable to the shipbuilder or suppliers contracted to NCLH/Regent; their obligations, including obligations relating to defects, will have been be set out in the relevant contract conditions or supply order terms agreed between Client and Contractor. I don’t believe any of us have seen these documents, and I for one have no desire or need to see them

Regent has set the bar very high by branding Explorer "The Most Luxurious Cruise Ship Ever Built"

The hype has obviously attracted a number of customers with very high expectations; some of them are disappointed

You obviously feel that I, as well as others, am being OTT with negativity towards Explorer; nothing could be further from the truth

All I did was gather some, not all, of the issues mentioned by CC members who have been on Explorer........including your goodself

We are looking forward to our cruise on Explorer next month and will report back on our conclusions, both objectively and subjectively; our benchmark being a Penthouse Suite on Mariner (our present favourite Regent ship)

Thank you for your question. I will try to be brief in my response

Surely it is not in question that any issue we have whilst on a Regent cruise is Regent’s responsibility (unless we have caused the issue ourselves). It is going to get us nowhere pursuing one of Regent’s contractors or suppliers; that is for Regent to do

If we find something wrong in our suite, we will bring it to the attention of our steward or butler; if they are not on duty we will ring reception or the relevant department. In our experience this usually brings results e.g. on our last cruise (Voyager) we found the balcony door to be extremely stiff; within 12 hours of reporting the problem maintenance had visited, adjusted & lubricated the door and we had no further problem. A year ago we had a more major issue; within 24 hours we were moved to another suite

If we found that our first report had not been acted on, we would have no hesitation in taking the issue to the Head of Housekeeping or General Manager. To date this has never been necessary

We also provide constructive feedback to Regent through the Comments Cards and by emailing/writing to Head Office.

It is not about compensation, it is about ensuring that we get the cruising experience for which we have paid. We love Regent and it is only through bringing issues to their attention that they will continue with high standards and improve – whether that is in the design & build of their ships, choice of entertainment & leisure activities, menus, staff training etc etc

The mark of a good company is not that they are always 100% perfect but that they deal with any issues that do occur promptly, courteously and to the full satisfaction of the customer

IMO, making excuses for Regent’s management (either on-board or in the head office) is not helpful

Getting back to the whistling doors; yes, we will be very upset if we have this issue and are told that the only way to fix it is to put gaffer tape all around. In this scenario I would seriously question Regent’s head office as to why they are continuing to accommodate passengers in suites that have a latent defect, which has been known about for some time

Finally, you asked about UK Consumer Protection

For Regent UK, the main requirement is that they must hold an Air Travel Organisers Licence (ATOL) as they are selling “holiday packages” that include air travel. This government-backed scheme protects the customer from losing money or being stranded abroad if there is a default by the ATOL licence holder or the companies (e.g. airlines or hotels) they are using to make up the “package”

Regent UK are also members of ABTA, an industry funded body, which provides recourse if a customer has an unresolved problem or complaint with a travel company

Finally it should be noted that, unlike Regent’s US Ts&Cs, Regent UK are legally responsible for addressing any default by their contractors and suppliers e.g. if an airline cancels a flight or misplaces baggage

Hope this helps – sorry but I wasn’t brief after all. Please don’t feel obliged to respond

:*

Fair comment there, basically whoever's name is on the label is responsible, not their sub-contractors.

Looking forward to Sunday!

flossie - appreciate your detailed response.

Host Dan - our of curiosity, did Seabourn's ships have things that needed to be replaced the first few months after they were launched? I ask because the Explorer is our first "new" ship and I do recall reading about issues when Oceania's two ships were launched. Thanks!

flossie - appreciate your detailed response.

Host Dan - our of curiosity, did Seabourn's ships have things that needed to be replaced the first few months after they were launched? I ask because the Explorer is our first "new" ship and I do recall reading about issues when Oceania's two ships were launched. Thanks!

Whistling doors is a big issue when you are paying for a veranda you cannot use because it is all taped up. Certainly not anybody's idea of luxury. This should be an easy fix.