Queen Mary in difficulty

babs135

It's a shame but if this story has their facts correct, then dear old Queen Mary will be headed for scrap. I sailed aboard several times as a child and have stayed aboard in Long Beach. Last time on board there were rust holes all over the superstructure. Unfortunately, it takes nearly as much money to maintain a static ship floating in salt water as it does to maintain one in service. A $400mil overhaul will make no financial sense to any business operator and would probably not be welcome in the Long Beach City Hall. Time waits for no man (or ship).

Hi,

I am a big ocean liner fan and have enjoyed visiting and staying aboard the Queen Mary. My first stay aboard the ship was in 1996 and I have visited the ship every few years since then. However, I was surprised during my most recent stay in January 2017. The maintenance aboard the ship was very poor. The exterior of the ship desperately needs to be painted and several areas of the ship were closed due to water damage from rain storms. I was sorry to read the recent articles about the ship's condition, but I am not surprised. I hope that there is some way to fund the necessary repairs to the ship.

Chuck

• 2 months later...

There's a programme tonight, Friday 26th May, at 9pm on Channel 5 about RMS Queen Mary. It's the second of a two part programme entitled Great British Royal Ships. Last week was the Royal Yacht Britannia.

"Two iconic ships that have played significant roles in Britain’s maritime history."

I saw a Fox News headline claiming it was QM2 herself (complete with photos of the one in Long Beach). The article was more specific.

Queen Mary 2 in urgent need of repairs to prevent sinking, experts warn

That story was corrected by the time I looked at it this morning. I guess some people think that the media never makes a typo. :eek:

That story was corrected by the time I looked at it this morning. I guess some people think that the media never makes a typo. :eek:

Typos happen, but that's why stories need to be fact-checked and proofread. The story should be corrected BEFORE it goes out.

Typos happen, but that's why stories need to be fact-checked and proofread. The story should be corrected BEFORE it goes out.
Perhaps in a perfect world where time is no object, but it simply not going to happen all of the time in today's fast paced world. People who post on Cruise Critic or other public forums should also fact-check and proofread whenever they post, but how many times have we seen the QE mistakenly referred to as the QE2 on this forum? Mistakes occur all of the time on the internet, but unlike the printed media like newspapers, mistakes can be corrected quickly when the mistakes are found.

There's a programme tonight, Friday 26th May, at 9pm on Channel 5 about RMS Queen Mary. It's the second of a two part programme entitled Great British Royal Ships. Last week was the Royal Yacht Britannia.

"Two iconic ships that have played significant roles in Britain’s maritime history."

Thanks for mentioning this. I enjoyed watching both programmes on the Channel 5 web site.

Regards,

John