QM2 cabin preference

CU64

8052 obstructed balcony or 6167 shelteredbalcony? I have been on route from Montreal to NY years ago. This is reverse from NY to Quebec City. Traveling solo with a group. Interested in sheltered balcony but obstructed about 500 cheaper. Think I rather have full view & use of fresh air balcony if weather inclement. Any opinions welcome as I have not been on this ship. Thanks.:cool:

It's a hard one - you may end up with an upgrade from the obstructed balcony which would make it very good value.

Here is a photo of 8052 (the list of obstructed views on QM2). It seems quite light and although there is equipment there is still some sea view.

We were in an obstructed cabin (8020) over Christmas since the sheltered balcony cabins were more than we wanted to pay last year. Frankly I was pleasantly surprised. The lifeboat isn't close to the stateroom at all and we had a bit of a view of the ocean aft of the lifeboat in our particular cabin. The photo of 8052 looks better than the view from ours.

Note that the list of obstructed views differentiates between lifeboats, tenders, and other equipment causing the obstruction. I'm just tall enough that I could see over the lifeboat (except for where the operator's station sticks up above the rest of the lifeboat roof) but tenders are taller and I wouldn't have been able to see over a tender.

If $500 is a meaningful amount of money to you, don't feel bad about opting for 8052 instead of a sheltered balcony at $500 more.

As you can see from the photos and deck plans some staterooms are more obstructed than others. We have booked an obstructed view room twice. We booked well in advance and were able to carefully choose one which is between life boats and were very happy with it. For the fare it was good value

Having visited a sheltered balcony stateroom we have decided to book one for the first time for an autumn crossing. The fare wasn't much more than an obstructed view room so it is a good opportunity to try something new.

Thank you all for feedback. I have decided on sheltered balcony as it was something I wanted to experience, particularly if I ever do transatlantic. It is always tempting to want to save but in the end, & at this age, silly for me to compromise! I always mark no upgrade.:cool:

being contained with an obstructed balcony makes sense. I do not like heights either but am fine with a regular balcony on a cruise ship. However, I have started selecting lower level decks because I prefer to walk stairs...going up is fine but hard on knees going down. Then I got use to having public venues closer to cabin and walk to dinner:cool:

I was in 6166 (or 6168 - time plays tricks on the memory) on my last QM2 cruise. It was a great location and being next to the bulkhead meant there was no noise from next door. I see you have chosen the same cabin on the other side of the ship so think you will be happy there.

Aussie flyer

Thank you so much for your feedback. Some have advised against 6167 because it is over Kings Court but I am willing to take the chance. It is a great location for me!