World Cruise 2017- Excursion prices

chrisruthsmith

Hello,

We've booked a world cruise for 2018 on QE and I'm starting to think about the excursion budget. There's been a couple of worrying posts lately about excursions prices soaring! As you know, we can't get the excursion prices till 12 weeks before we sail, so I wondering if anyone who is currently doing the world, -or has done an early leg could post some info re excrusion prices. All info very gratefully recieved

Best

Chris

Can't help with prices but unless things have changed, you will find that booking before the cruise will save you some money. In 2014, the excursion prices were all about $5 (on average) more if you booked onboard rather than in advance. Just something to keep in mind.

Enjoy your world voyage!

I was also on a 2014 World Voyage and I noticed the prices increased around 10% on board vs booking ahead of time. A few went up in price even before the cruise sailed and a few were sold out.

Half the fun of a World Voyage is in the planning.

Don

Now lets see if I can help you.

Saturday 17th February I note you are in Moorea.

There will be many 'locals' on hand at your landing spot...

16622415362_284f127dc9_z.jpg

...with a variety of options.

My best advice though, if you are up for it, is to hire a car yourself and give yourself the freedom we enjoyed there...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/03/13/moorea-one-way-to-do/

I pre-booked the hire car and the Rep was there to meet us.

The Day before Moorea i note you are in Papeete, French Polynesia.

The last time I was there, with Silversea, we booked a private island tour. The excursion firm's details are in my review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/05/15/tahiti-one-way-to-see-the-island/

17255694785_dc897158ee_z.jpg

There is little to excite in Papeete itself though I further note you have a late sailaway, so you really need to get out around the island to appreciate it.

Having said that Papeete has a great evening hawkers food market near the ship's berth. Brilliant if you are craving a food change...

17068129690_a2a274acd9_z.jpg

Hope that helps.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

On March 3rd you will be in Brisbane.

A fellow 'Photo Blogger', friend and Cruise Critic member, Wansbrough, has recently called there and has written an excellent review of the place...

http://www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk/2017/03/celebrity-solstice-postcard-41-brisbane-australia/

I covered a few more places in my review so you can take your choice...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/01/08/one-way-to-do-brisbane/

Not to be missed are the Moreton bay Bugs...

24140040902_cfb4ab1a1c_z.jpg

On Wednesday 28 march i see you are in Keelung, Taiwan.

I was there two weeks ago onboard Europa 2 and we had an overnight stop. I am busy in the process of writing the cruise review and in due course will also write a ...'One Way to do Taipei' for which Keelung is ideally placed.

33297348870_fb492269e5_z.jpg

32868126793_b6d2c5791c_z.jpg

Of course following mine and Wansbrough's respective blogs means one gets auto notifications when new reviews are published.

Good afternoon again Chris.

On Wednesday 28 march I see you are in Keelung, Taiwan.

I was there two weeks ago onboard Europa 2 and we had an overnight stop. I am busy in the process of writing the cruise review and in due course will also write a ...'One Way to do Taipei' for which Keelung is ideally placed.

33297348870_fb492269e5_z.jpg

32868126793_b6d2c5791c_z.jpg

Of course following mine and Wansbrough's respective blogs means one gets auto notifications when new reviews are published.

PS. That's Keelung's main cruise terminal with the orange and blue passenger bridges.

Very passenger friendly. Money changers, tour operators and, for those who must, free wifi.

The second photo was taken on the steps of the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall with Taipei 101 in the background. Ship's tours go to both but I chose to DIY Taipei over the two days.

Here's the view you get from the Taipei 101 Observatory floor...

33681545795_47d44ecd46_z.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

• 2 months later...
Hello,

We've booked a world cruise for 2018 on QE and I'm starting to think about the excursion budget. There's been a couple of worrying posts lately about excursions prices soaring! As you know, we can't get the excursion prices till 12 weeks before we sail, so I wondering if anyone who is currently doing the world, -or has done an early leg could post some info re excrusion prices. All info very gratefully recieved

Best

Chris

Wondering if the excursions are available for the World Cruise at the 12 weeks out stage or are they available earlier?

Thanks to anyone who has World Cruise experience.

Hi Richard

Many many thanks for your posts and sorry for the long delay in replying, I've been working away and had virtually no internet access - no free wifi! (Thanks for the tip around the free wifi access in Keelung, vital for keeping on top of all that pesky business stuff)

Your posts are very helpful, we've been a bit disappointed with some of the organised excursions we've been and so thinking about doing more on our own. So finding out about places which lend themselves to DIY tours is really helpful. I will follow the blogs you recommend and read up on the reviews

We're going on our first trip with Silversea (Silver Whisper) will be a interesting comparison for us, as we've been comitted Cunaders until late

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to respond to my post

Best wishes

Christine

Wondering if the excursions are available for the World Cruise at the 12 weeks out stage or are they available earlier?

Thanks to anyone who has World Cruise experience.

For the 2014 QE World Voyage the excursions were put on the VP on July 17 (same for the QV). A few overland excursions were added later.

Thank you for that information Scrapnana.

We are hoping to take a few of the overland excursions as well.

I am chomping at the bit to make my air reservations. We have to wait until mid June as the return trip is the one that Cunard bases the ticket, as you know.

For the 2014 QE World Voyage the excursions were put on the VP on July 17 (same for the QV). A few overland excursions were added later.

It would be perhaps helpful to know when the excursions for the 2017 World Cruise were posted- I'll put a shout out

Best

Chris

Christine:

I also am very interested as you might imagine. I contacted Cunard on Facebook and asked about the cost (approx) of the Overland tours in China.

The two range between $2300 and $2400 per person.

I have no idea when the overland tours are listed.

In the meantime, I can book my Cunard Air flights TOMORROW. I cannot wait.