Newbie tips please

Danem7683

Do try the Beach House. Delicious food well worth it for the small supplement and massive portions. The service we had there was also the best we had on the ship. You can't pre-book, you have to turn up early when it opens (there will be a queue) and either go in straight away or book and return later.

It's not publicised, but iced water is available from the bars on deck, so it saves having to trudge off to the buffet to get it.

The grab-and-go buffet on the Lido deck is fab for a snack lunch.

I like to take a small thin cross-body bag for my cruise card, phone, tissues etc. for onboard use, I don't like carrying a handbag around the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's where my mobility scooter comes in handy.

:). :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We always take a compass to see which way we are going. We started when the kids were young and have carried on! But don't keep it near any metal as you'll forever wonder why you are going the wrong way! On a more serious note, try and avoid the serial moaners who pick fault with everything. Yes, you might get a dirty spoon one day but simply ask for another one; don't use it to go on about standards are slipping or customer service is in freefall.

We are pretty easy going and not moaners, just fingers crossed that I get limited seasickness as first cruise I had a dizziness for a few day [emoji40] and hubby came down with the nurovirus after the first port (I blame the Vigo oysters he ate), so that wiped him out for best part of a week. [emoji855]🤧

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We are pretty easy going and not moaners, just fingers crossed that I get limited seasickness as first cruise I had a dizziness for a few day [emoji40] and hubby came down with the nurovirus after the first port (I blame the Vigo oysters he ate), so that wiped him out for best part of a week. [emoji855]🤧

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take seasickness pills with you if you are going through the Bay of Biscay if you are sailing from Southampton.

Have a good look around the ship as there are places you could easily miss.

Always handy to take antibacterial hand wipes with you if going to the buffet and use before eating,it might just prevent norovirus.

Lastly just enjoy the experience,cruising and seeing many different ports is fantastic

love sailing with RCCL

Magnets! Take plenty of magnets - you can even find some extra strong ones with hooks on... these will mean you can pin everything to the walls to free up clutter, and even give yourself some extra storage space.

If you are taking a camera, consider how you will backup your images. You could rotate SD cards, so if one fails you don't lose everything, or you might take a laptop or tablet with an SD card reader and transfer everything onto that throughout your trip.

Remember the names of your steward, waiting staff at the MDR etc., - they really do appreciate it, especially if some other passengers are of the hand-waving, finger-clicking variety. In an ideal world this wouldn't change your service, but it never hurts to be nice.

Magnets! Take plenty of magnets - you can even find some extra strong ones with hooks on... these will mean you can pin everything to the walls to free up clutter, and even give yourself some extra storage space.

We love our hooks. They are like these and we take about 10 of them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XWPFJS5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are taking a camera, consider how you will backup your images. You could rotate SD cards, so if one fails you don't lose everything, or you might take a laptop or tablet with an SD card reader and transfer everything onto that throughout your trip.

Remember the names of your steward, waiting staff at the MDR etc., - they really do appreciate it, especially if some other passengers are of the hand-waving, finger-clicking variety. In an ideal world this wouldn't change your service, but it never hurts to be nice.

My policy is treat everyone the way i like to be treated myself.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Best advice I can give you is

Dont read the reviews, go along with an open mind and enjoy yourself

Highly recommend Sindhu on Britannia - Go in hungry and you`ll come out stuffed !!

Not sure about the other ships now but during the muster drill you should wear trousers as the new (Britannia only?....) lifejacket requires a cord crossing between your legs, this caused a lot of laughs during the muster drill - DONT WEAR A SKIRT !!!

The Crows nest is a great place for a quiet drink and a read during the day as they dont play music until 6pm so if you fancy a read - go along !!

The Sunset Bar is great aswell for a nice drink aswell - Just watch out for smokers if you are not a smoker yourselves

Britannia is a HUGE ship, she is beautiful !!

Consider taking a couple of little silica gel sachets (the kind that come in handbags, Amazon parcels etc.) to help dry out your camera or mobile phone if it accidentally gets wet. DH had a problem with his digital SLR camera, in that when we went from the ship's air-con to the heat of the Caribbean sunshine, the lens fogged up inside and the controls got condensation in them and wouldn't work properly. Took quite some time to dry out and clear.