LIVE ("lite") Explorer - 3/26 - 4/9

Travelcat2

That's odd, goes to show you, it's what the cruiser likes and not what everyone else likes. On Oceania I like the Oceania Suite over the Vista suite--in fact we've cruised in the Owners Suite most of the time, but once couldn't get it so we took the Oceania Suite and really liked it better. The Owner suite is just to big. Now I know what everybody is say about the Regent's Grand Suite, but I think we're going to like it, maybe not love it but like it.

Rick

That new dessert sounds delish. They did not have that on voyager last month.

George would love that lecturer, but he does not like crossings.

Rachel, Al doesn't like crossings either. Maybe we could get them a couple of kayaks and they could travel alongside the ship, or if they really get bored we could give them lifejackets and they could swim. I love crossings, especially the way they do them with a few stops along the way.

Edited by Anna B.
spelling

Kathy and Rachel - Dennis could join Al and George in the kayaks:D

On the balcony in Bermuda and don't really want to get off the ship but we will at least take a walk after lunch (our plans to take a water taxi to Hamilton have been scratched) . The view from here is great. Wish that you were all here to join us on this way too big balcony.

Time for lunch!

Kathy and Rachel - Dennis could join Al and George in the kayaks:D

On the balcony in Bermuda and don't really want to get off the ship but we will at least take a walk after lunch (our plans to take a water taxi to Hamilton have been scratched) . The view from here is great. Wish that you were all here to join us on this way too big balcony.

Time for lunch!

Maybe we could start a new trend for all those restless husbands who haven't learned how to relax ;)

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by Anna B.
forgot to include message

Maybe we could start a new trend for all those restless husbands who haven't learned how to relax ;)

Sounds like a good plan. I can just see George, Al, and Dennis out there paddling away. Or we could bring fishing rods and let them fish off the back of the ship.

SaveSave

SaveSave

Loving the last few posts:D Just think of how much fun we can all have while our hubbies are fishing;p

Learned a bit more about what is going on with Explorer.

1. There are still workers onboard that are working on seals and gaskets for the doors! Regent and the builders are not just sitting back waiting for "fixes" to be done in Europe. I suppose that, if there was enough space for 20 or so workers from the shipyard onboard, the fix would be much faster.

2. Chair hogs appear mostly on Caribbean cruises. They have become experts at moving something around every half an hour so that the time restarts (much like people feeding a parking meter). As suspected, this is not an issue on most Regent cruises.

The internet remains fine!

No soot!

No vibration (other than during docking)

Have heard no complaints of whistling doors (or windows ........ not sure where the "windows" reference came from since almost all suites have sliding glass doors only")

Good service!

I suspect that my theory as to why CR has been for open for lunch is true. Today is a port day and Chartreuse was opened for lunch and CR was closed. I'm guessing that P7 will be open tomorrow for lunch. However, once all passengers are onboard, 750 passengers is a lot to handle for LV, P7 and Chartreuse so they open CR and close the specialty restaurants.

Really enjoying this cruise (but am definitely missing my cruising buddies).

Dinner in P7 was interesting (not my favorite dining venue). Show was great (love Tony "B" and the comedian). John Barron's show will be on April 1st (very appropriate:halo:) We will definitely be in the front row - center for that.

Another day in Bermuda tomorrow which means relaxing on the balcony. Chartreuse is open again for lunch...... very tempting to do it again!

That's odd, goes to show you, it's what the cruiser likes and not what everyone else likes. On Oceania I like the Oceania Suite over the Vista suite--in fact we've cruised in the Owners Suite most of the time, but once couldn't get it so we took the Oceania Suite and really liked it better. The Owner suite is just to big. Now I know what everybody is say about the Regent's Grand Suite, but I think we're going to like it, maybe not love it but like it.

Rick

Agree with you about the Owners Suite on the Riviera (and Marina). If we still sailed on Oceania, we would have likely booked an Oceania suite and may have liked it more than the Vista Suite (although we really loved the Vista Suite - especially the workout room where we stored a lot of our "stuff").

Hope that you do not weigh my negative comments about Explorer's Grand Suite too much. You will be in an aft suite so the noise will not be an issue. The fact that the dining room table is too large for the space really isn't a big deal. We adore the master bathroom (even the shower that looks out onto the balcony). The master bedroom is also lovely and well appointed. The balcony is to die for. You'll love it!

Speaking about suites, I met a lovely couple last night (admitted lurkers on the Regent board). They are in a PH suite and find the closet too small (as do we). They also had comments about the desk/dressing table.

I finally saw Abhi, the Staff Captain - we'll chat more when we both have time. I learned a couple of days ago that, on this crossing ,we are going against the waves rather than with the waves as we did on the November crossing. This accounts for some of the rolling motion that we are feeling. Will report more when I learn more!

TC, unfortunately I have a whistling actually a howling door to report. We are in 948 and until last night when we had dinner on or balcony we had not opened the living room side sliding doors. Well, when that wind kicked in last night that door let us know it was there. Tried the partial latch trick, but nothing worked. Showed our Butler this morning and it appears to be well aware of the problems, but first time for this suite. Only complaint so far as everything else has been outstanding. Good service and great food. Doing Chartreuse this evening. Have met some nice folks but no roll call people as yet. Where are you!

Denny

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do hope you will elaborate on your P7 dinner. What did you two have and what made it as you say, "interesting"?

Will be happy to elaborate. First I should mention that P7 isn't our favorite dining venue. We do like the crab legs but did not order them. My DH ordered a crab cake which was delicious. His next course was a wedge salad which was fine. He ordered the fresh fish of day - wish that I could remember the name of the fish (will get back to it). Both of us only like "white" fish - no dark parts. This fish had a lot of dark parts but once removed was delicious. It is a local fish.

My first course was American style onion soup. I should hate this soup because it is so full of cheese (especially cheddar cheese which isn't the right cheese for the soup -- Gruyère cheese is) but I loved it anyway. Then I had what I would call a deconstructed Caesar salad that was also good. My main course was Filet of Sole -- no complaints there.

What was "interesting" was the service. We asked for a table out of the sun so we got a table that looked comfortable but wasn't. It was a table for two - facing the window but not at the window. It was extremely uncomfortable - a sofa for two with a table that wasn't centered. The server was wonderful (Igor) but had to move the table three times to make it marginally comfortable. At one point, Dennis and I changed seats as it was bothering him more than it was bothering me.

The next thing was the sun that "blinded" the table in front of us and Dennis as well. No one seemed to be able to block the sun so a man from the table in front of us went to the window and adjusted the shade so that it would not blind people.

Since we changed seats, the server in training (lovely girl) served my plates to Dennis and his to me (not a huge deal). For the first time on the ship, it was difficult to get my wine refilled. So, I guess you could say that this was a service issue. We will not be returning to P7 (except maybe for lunch).

We dined at Chartreuse for lunch today and again, it was delicious. Dennis had a salad and salmon while I had Chartreuse's version of onion soup and it was great. That was followed by octopus with fingering potatoes - also very good. For dessert I could not resist the no sugar added coffee ice cream. After lunch we went to the Coffee Connection (aka the Café) for a French coffee which was made perfectly (yes - it an alcoholic drink).

Tomorrow we return to our most challenging restaurant - Pacific Rim. I think that I've sold Dennis on the Lobster Tempura. Maybe if I ply him with enough sake, he will enjoy Pacific Rim:evilsmile:

Tonight is CR where we hope to get in Bagus' section (may not get there as there is an event that conflicts with our normal 6:30 p.m. dinner.)

Met a lovely couple in the Business Center who invited us to a cocktail party on April 1st. For some reason, April Fools Day looks like it will be a very different day. Can't wait!

Denny, (Videopro76) we are in suite 879 Give us a call - we'd love to meet you for a drink:D As you know, the winds have picked up and one of our four sliding glass doors does have some whistling (my DH loves it - go figure!) Enjoy dinner in Chartreuse!

P.S. Just remembered that the fish that Dennis had was Branzino (might be misspelled).

TC, Laney and I will be in the Observation Lounge at 5pm. I will be wearing a beige tight plaid jacket and a pink shirt. I will try calling your room before we head upstairs.

Our door just got fixed by a very nice Italian crew. Rubber weatherstripping on each side of the door did the trick. They didn't thing much of the quality of the doors!

TC, Laney and I will be in the Observation Lounge at 5pm. I will be wearing a beige tight plaid jacket and a pink shirt. I will try calling your room before we head upstairs.

Our door just got fixed by a very nice Italian crew. Rubber weatherstripping on each side of the door did the trick. They didn't thing much of the quality of the doors!

We have an event At 6: 00 pm and will try to get to the Observation Lounge 5:15 ish.

Jackie

Will be happy to elaborate. First I should mention that P7 isn't our favorite dining venue. We do like the crab legs but did not order them. My DH ordered a crab cake which was delicious. His next course was a wedge salad which was fine. He ordered the fresh fish of day - wish that I could remember the name of the fish (will get back to it). Both of us only like "white" fish - no dark parts. This fish had a lot of dark parts but once removed was delicious. It is a local fish.

My first course was American style onion soup. I should hate this soup because it is so full of cheese (especially cheddar cheese which isn't the right cheese for the soup -- Gruyère cheeseis) but I loved it anyway. Then I had what I would call a deconstructed Caesar salad that was also good. My main course was Filet of Sole -- no complaints there.

What was "interesting" was the service. We asked for a table out of the sun so we got a table that looked comfortable but wasn't. It was a table for two - facing the window but not at the window. It was extremely uncomfortable - a sofa for two with a table that wasn't centered. The server was wonderful (Igor) but had to move the table three times to make it marginally comfortable. At one point, Dennis and I changed seats as it was bothering him more than it was bothering me.

The next thing was the sun that "blinded" the table in front of us and Dennis as well. No one seemed to be able to block the sun so a man from the table in front of us went to the window and adjusted the shade so that it would not blind people.

Since we changed seats, the server in training (lovely girl) served my plates to Dennis and his to me (not a huge deal). For the first time on the ship, it was difficult to get my wine refilled. So, I guess you could say that this was a service issue. We will not be returning to P7 (except maybe for lunch).

We dined at Chartreuse for lunch today and again, it was delicious. Dennis had a salad and salmon while I had Chartreuse's version of onion soup and it was great. That was followed by octopus with fingering potatoes - also very good. For dessert I could not resist the no sugar added coffee ice cream. After lunch we went to the Coffee Connection (aka the Café) for a French coffee which was made perfectly (yes - it an alcoholic drink).

Tomorrow we return to our most challenging restaurant - Pacific Rim. I think that I've sold Dennis on the Lobster Tempura. Maybe if I ply him with enough sake, he will enjoy Pacific Rim:evilsmile:

Tonight is CR where we hope to get in Bagus' section (may not get there as there is an event that conflicts with our normal 6:30 p.m. dinner.)

Met a lovely couple in the Business Center who invited us to a cocktail party on April 1st. For some reason, April Fools Day looks like it will be a very different day. Can't wait!

Denny, (Videopro76) we are in suite 879 Give us a call - we'd love to meet you for a drink:D As you know, the winds have picked up and one of our four sliding glass doors does have some whistling (my DH loves it - go figure!) Enjoy dinner in Chartreuse!

P.S. Just remembered that the fish that Dennis had was Branzino (might be misspelled).

Jackie

Just so you know I was the "man" that closed the curtain last night. Your welcome.:)

John

The vibration noted while docking/undocking is most likely the bow and/or stern thrusters. Their use allows the ship to move sideways or even pivot about a point when conditions of wind and current are ideal. The thrusters obviate the need for tugs in many ports.

Jackie - thank you very much for your comments. Sorry not to get back for a day or so but I am over-loaded with golf right now (there is a very early Spring in Southern Switzerland and we are really enjoying it...) I am (and Ken is too) pleased with our choice of Explorer Suite 918 for the Panama Canal cruise. It seems to have all we need from what you said PLUS a very large balcony. We really missed that on our last Riviera cruise in the Owners Suite. Two balconies but relatively narrow and way too much furniture. We were climbing over tables and chairs... less would have been "more" in that instance.

We are also both thrilled at your description of the new CR menu and that one can get lobster etc on order whenever. We are rather "lobster-starved" here in Switzerland (they do not like lakes!) and we have always enjoyed the lobster on Oceania.

Above all we are looking forward to the Regent offering of lectures. Those made our last Panama Canal cruise so wonderful so I hope they will again. We'll be on the Rivera Venice to Rome in November for Ken's 80th (Oceania Suite this time) but that cruise is so port-intensive it would be hard to fit in lectures anyway.

Keep on enjoying the ocean. and hopefully not too much rocking and rolling! Thanks for the input - Gerry

Videopro,

Thank you for getting the door fixed. We will be in the same cabin in March of next year.

There has been mentions of lack of closet space in this PH category. Do you have enough room for everything?

We have never had problems with closet space on any of the other Regent ships.

Bill

Thanks for the thread, Tc and others. Enjoying it and wishing we could cruise more often. Nice to hear about everyone's enjoyment. Also appreciate the not-so-good details. Though we've never tried any other cruise line, I can't imagine liking anything better than Regent (which is very nice, since these old dogs are not about to try any new tricks)

Jackie

Just so you know I was the "man" that closed the curtain last night. Your welcome.:)

John

Dare I comment on this post? Thinking that it is better left alone:evilsmile:

poss: I really feel that you would enjoy Explorer. It truly isn't about how luxurious it is but rather how comfortable it is.

Gerry, I really think that you will love the Grand Suite - especially aft. There is tons of room and not too much furniture. The funniest part of that Grand Suite is the master bathroom shower. While you can close the shower shades, you basically taking a shower with a view of the deck. Also, there is a window above the bathtub with a wonderful view of the sea.l

You definitely will not be lobster starved on Explorer. You can have lobster every night if you wish. If you are watching calories, you can order steamed lobster with lemon instead of butter. Tonight we had amazing fish (grouper) in CR. Tomorrow we'll have lobster tempura in Pacific Rim.

The lectures have been great but tonight, due to a conflicting event, we missed the lecture on the Robert Kennedy murder (thankfully we can watch it on television tomorrow).

Rockin and Rollin on the Atlantic - on Explorer!

Bill, you welcome. The room is great, the closet is smaller than what you might expect, but my wife and I brought lots of clothes and manage to fit everything in. The bathroom is large and well thought out and the shower is better than any hotel or other ship. The balcony is HUGH, lots of room to stretch out.

TC, it was great meeting you and Dennis last night. Hope to see you again.

We met Videopro76 and his lovely wife last night. It's enjoyable meeting people that you've "met" on Roll Call (particularly when they are as nice as this couple). Also met a few very nice people at a special cocktail party last night.

Today is the first of five sea days so I'll have little to post. The eye opener this morning was the man in a bathrobe hanging out in the Coffee Connection (aka the Café) at 9:30 a.m. In what world is it okay to walk in public in your bathrobe? While I didn't look closely, it didn't seem that he had long pants underneath the robe (yuck!) There he was standing next to John Barron (in a suit) - definitely looked odd to see them standing next to each other.

In case anyone at Regent is reading this....... just a light comment. No one (including some Regent management in Miami) call the "Café" by that name. It is the "Coffee Connection". Perhaps a name change is in order?

I came prepared with my roll of masking tape to combat the dreaded whistling windows that had been reported by others. The first night after leaving Miami, I did find it necessary to apply several strips to the middle door of our suite and that seemed to take care of the problem. While working with the doors I also noticed a problem with the door handles not working properly. In fact, at one point I went out on the balcony, closed the door and then could not get back in. Thank goodness my wife was there to work with the catch and open the door.

This morning, three workers showed up at my door requesting access to the balcony so they could work on the sliders. They spent about thirty minutes working, grinding, drilling and applying new seals where the door meets the vertical frame. They also applied a decal explaining what position the handle should be in to lock and unlock the door. This is great, don't think I will get stuck outside on the balcony again.

I am sorry to report that the work that was done this morning did not correct the whistling so I am glad I have a full roll of masking tape. This is a very minor inconvenience that will take less than a minute to correct.

BTW, TC2 I was so glad to finally meet you last evening at our 6:00 party!