Capt Gus is Great, except at 7 AM

cmitch9999

Loved our cruise on the Enchantment UNTIL today 7 AM a wakeUP announcement IN THE CABIN to let us know we had arrived in Baltimore.

REALLY left a bad impression on what had been a wonderful cruise, great crew and I had been very impressed with the public availability and congenial nature of Capt Gus.

I have been on 37 cruises and except for a 2 nighter on Carnival have not had that rude awakening (pun intended)

I know that the turn around morning is stressful and getting the passengers OFF is a priority. I did amend my guest survey to address this disappointing event.

Other cruisers have that happen on their voyage??

CM

I'm wondering if this is something new. We were just on the Monarch, and at 7:00am, Mark "bing bong" came on and woke up the entire ship. I had actually commented that I never remember them doing that.

They may be trying to get people out of their staterooms quicker to allow the room attendants more prepping time.

Is there not a volume control in the cabins to turn the speaker in the room down or off? I dont remember ever hearing announcements in our room, but maybe they can override the volume control.

Yes, there is volume control, but they can override it. They usually only override for important announcements-emergencies, trying to locate someone, etc. But, the Captain can do what he wants:rolleyes:

I was on that sailng, and I dont remember the announcment being quite that early but I could be wrong as we were up and about early...I had trouble hearing it in our cabin as we had the volume control turned down low.

We thought the cruise was pretty darn close to perfect...great weather, loved the ship, good food and the great entertainment that Royal Caribbean is noted for.

We also enjoyed Captain Gus along with John Blair and the rest of the staff).

I know the cruise line would like to have the disembarking passengers out of their cabins as early as possible so they can clean up for the next cruise customers.

The problem I have with that is that they want me to get out of my cabin and go sit in a bar or some other place where there is nothing to do an often nowhere to sit, and they often want me to sit there for a very long time.

I’ll sit and relax in my cabin for a reasonable amount of time and then go sit where they want.

Loved our cruise on the Enchantment UNTIL today 7 AM a wakeUP announcement IN THE CABIN to let us know we had arrived in Baltimore.

It should have been at 6:00 AM so you could see the docking.

7:00 AM ...... all lazy bums should be up by then.:rolleyes:

You do realize that some of us actually waited for his 7:00am announcement in the cabin so we can do the express self debark?

At the end of the 8/3 enchantment sailing - I got the kids up and we waited for Captain Gus to make that announcement which was AWESOME! We didn't have to wait in some lounge. We heard the announcement - and literally walked right off the ship by 7:15. It was the easiest debark we have ever had.

I wish they were all that easy! Why would you want to sleep in on debark day?

I'm wondering if this is something new. We were just on the Monarch, and at 7:00am, Mark "bing bong" came on and woke up the entire ship. I had actually commented that I never remember them doing that.

They may be trying to get people out of their staterooms quicker to allow the room attendants more prepping time.

I was just on the Monarch too and I didnt here Mark"bing bong" at all and I was up

We were on the cruise just before yours and found Capt Gus to be one of the most fantastic captains we have ever sailed with. We probably were having our breakfast if he announced that we had docked in Balitmore at 7 am. Sometimes we had our announcement tuner turned up to hear and sometimes we turned it down.

On the departure date, do you have any idea what the cabin stewards have to do to get YOUR cabin ready for the next group of persons waiting to board? Get out of your stateroom as soon as possilble and go and relax in the location indicated for you.

By the way, we have been on many, many cruises and sometimes we had that announcement and sometimes not. Only cruised Carnival a few times so could not remark about that line, but we have always been out of our cabin as soon as possible as we know how hard the cabin stewards have to work to turn that cabin around for the new arriving passengers.

When you board the ship for the departure, would it bother you if you had to wait past 1 or 1:30 to get into your cabin because someone didn't want to get out so it could be cleaned????????

Loved Capt Gus and hope we can cruise with him again and we would give him a 10+++++

We were on the cruise just before yours and found Capt Gus to be one of the most fantastic captains we have ever sailed with. We probably were having our breakfast if he announced that we had docked in Balitmore at 7 am. Sometimes we had our announcement tuner turned up to hear and sometimes we turned it down.

On the departure date, do you have any idea what the cabin stewards have to do to get YOUR cabin ready for the next group of persons waiting to board? Get out of your stateroom as soon as possilble and go and relax in the location indicated for you.

By the way, we have been on many, many cruises and sometimes we had that announcement and sometimes not. Only cruised Carnival a few times so could not remark about that line, but we have always been out of our cabin as soon as possible as we know how hard the cabin stewards have to work to turn that cabin around for the new arriving passengers.

When you board the ship for the departure, would it bother you if you had to wait past 1 or 1:30 to get into your cabin because someone didn't want to get out so it could be cleaned????????

Loved Capt Gus and hope we can cruise with him again and we would give him a 10+++++

I don’t mind getting out of my cabin and waiting about 45 minutes to an hour to get our number called to get off the ship. I think that’s reasonable.

Even on the last day of the cruise, I’m on vacation and my primary interest is not helping the cruise line clean up for the next cruise.

I’ll be reasonable, but waiting in some bar or theater for more than an hour is not reasonable.

Perhaps the cruise line should get some more people on the cabin cleanup crew.

The last morning of a cruise always stinks... we always stay up too late the last night and wake up WAY WAY WAY TOO EARLY.

This comes with cruising. They want your butts off the boat ASAP. As a boarding passenger, I love this. As a departing passenger, I hate this.

This would be the exact reason that we are fully packed before dinner on the last night.

Somewhere between 3-6pm we come back to the room and pack. We get dressed for dinner/the evening and lay out our clothes to go home in. We pack everything but those clothes, the clothes we are wearing and the bare minimum of toiletries AND an empty backpack to shove every for our exit in. We check all the drawers and cabinets and we head out.

We get back to the room entirely too late, fill out the customs form, shove our dinner clothes in the backpack, check the drawers & cabinets again, set the alarm, sleep a few hours, and get up entirely too early.

Then I check the safe like 10 times that morning, we do the sink bath, get dressed, possibly grab some food (if we get up early enough) and walk our bags off at the announcement.

I wouldnt mind that announcement.........Im usually one of the LAST people o the ship to go to bed on the last night but Im up and at em early the next morning because Im ready to get off the ship as soon as I can. I generally have a 9 hour + drive ahead of me that day and Im ready to get it started. Most of the time I dont even bother getting my last breakfast on board.

its been said many times here before but your cruise is over on the last night when you go to bed. that wonderful service and those smiles you became accustomed to over the last week are now looks of stress and the whole atmosphere is one of "Thank you for sailing with Royal caribbean, now please get off of this ship"

I don’t mind getting out of my cabin and waiting about 45 minutes to an hour to get our number called to get off the ship. I think that’s reasonable.

Even on the last day of the cruise, I’m on vacation and my primary interest is not helping the cruise line clean up for the next cruise.

I’ll be reasonable, but waiting in some bar or theater for more than an hour is not reasonable.

Perhaps the cruise line should get some more people on the cabin cleanup crew.

Why don't you do express debark then you wouldn't have to wait anywhere?

7 a.m. Is not sleeping in or being lazy. I am not a morning person and I would have also been mad to have the captain wake me up.We sailed Enchantment in May and thank goodness that didn't happen to us.

Dh and I usually get up around 7:30 and we are off the ship by 8:30 - 8:45ish. We are D+, so they have usually called our number by then. I don't think being out of the cabin by 8:30 is unreasonable? I figure that our cabin steward can be cleaning the cabins of the people that are gone earlier.

That's exactly what we do Michelle. I like having all my stuff with me. I like walking off with my things. I LOVE being the first group through customs, before the lines get too long!

I've done that a few times in the past, and that's always an alternative, but everyone can’t manage lots of bags on the stairs and elevators.

My issue is not how fast I get off the ship. My issue is how long I have to wait in some designated place after leaving the cabin.

What I would like to see is a reduction in the wait time between when they would like us out of the cabin until our group is called.

I'm not joking here: convince me how on earth self-debark is doable?

I always thought self debarking was for people who pack light. We don't. My wife packs way too many shoes. We pack our own snorkeling gear, we pack suits/dresses for formal night. That's a ton of luggage.

Please convince me we can do this, I would love to be off the ship, back in our car driving sooner.

Archived