Ultimate Cruise Ship

tiger-91

The program NOVA on the United States television network Public Broadcasting Service will be broadcasting a show about the Explorer next week. It'll be available for streaming on the internet after that.

The show's website has a promo video.

Here is their description

Join pioneering shipbuilders as they embark on a feat of maritime engineering. Airing February 8, 2017 at 9 pm on PBS

Program Description

Weighing 54,000 gross tons and stretching over two football fields, the Seven Seas Explorer is no ordinary boat. Join pioneering shipbuilders as they endeavor to build the ultimate cruise ship. It will be decked with the finest gold, marble, and crystal and designed to offer guests the roomiest accommodations of any commercial cruise ship. However, engineering opulence is no easy feat. NOVA follows a pioneering team of ship builders as they embark on what is advertised to be a milestone in maritime engineering.

and we have been on all of them except HAL. Of course everything is not absolutely perfect, but we prefer to focus on what is the best and this is the best with a few glitches. You will be impressed. Anyone who is not impressed puzzles me. We have booked an additional month on her in 2017. Wish we could have 6 months. LOL

Thanks for the heads-up. 9 PM in the east, as well. Just the single 60 minute episode so maybe edited down a bit from the two (?) UK episodes. Though it'll be 60 minutes without commercials here.

Love the timing since we'll be on Explorer for the first time at the end of March!

I have just been catching up on the UK version, having been away when it was broadcast

A very well made and interesting documentary, albeit the introduction of concocted problems and potential disaster scenarios into the commentary was unnecessary

I was intrigued by FDR's introductory comments: "I wanted to build something unique; one of a kind; never to be repeated again. The most luxurious cruise ship ever built"

I thought Regent had intended to build a sister ship to Explorer, but obviously from FDR's comments the next ship will be significantly different. Maybe we should start a thread to advise Regent what we like on their various ships, what we think could be improved and our wish-list for the next new build

I also found it quite amusing to see FDR choosing art for Explorer. There did not seem to be much considered cultural appraisal of the works, but rather size & colour appeared to be the overriding criteria

The documentary is worth watching

Thanks for the heads-up. 9 PM in the east, as well. Just the single 60 minute episode so maybe edited down a bit from the two (?) UK episodes. Though it'll be 60 minutes without commercials here.

It was indeed shown in two parts in the UK, each nominally 60 minutes but there were 3 commercial breaks of approx 4 minutes each and an introductory section in the second part recapping the first part, so I would estimate actual original content at no more than 90 minutes.

It was worth watching but as flossie009 points out there are a couple of 'crises' obviously manufactured to add 'drama'.

Edited by rarin2go

Thank you so much for the link. I look forward to watching it and do believe that it is the "most luxurious ship ever built" (we have spent 38 nights on her so far and are having difficulty going back to another Regent ship!)

Have you sailed on or visited Europa or Europa 2?

We have heard the Europa 2 was fabulous as well as the Seabourn Encore which we will be sailing later this year. I don't think TC has sailed these lines or Crystal so she cannot make those comparisons.

No we have not as we prefer cruise lines that are all-inclusive, do not have children/families onboard (except during the summer) and is English speaking. Still, we have heard a lot of great things about Europa 2.

So, when I quote (and I misquoted above) that the Explorer is the "most luxurious cruise ship ever built", I am using Regent's trademarked statement. Speaking for ourselves, based on the cruise ships that we have sailed on (I'll make sure that my signature appears below this post), we do find the Explorer heads above any other ship that we have cruised on. It isn't really about being "luxurious" (although it is), a ship must also be comfortable, have outstanding food and service. The Explorer meets and exceeds this criteria.

We have stayed in three different categories of suites on the Explorer (soon to be four) in order to have a broader experience. We were quite surprised that one of the lower categories was so comfortable and had so much room that we would not hesitate to sail in that category again. The bathroom is large - a very long counter with double sinks and a lot of storage room - a bathtub and separate large shower (with a rain shower or regular shower head). The balconies are larger than on most cruise ships, the bed is amazing -- every detail of the suite has been taken into consideration (evening having USB ports by the bed so you can plug in your phone, laptop or both and have it easily accessible). There is even a recessed light next to the sofa that angles out and serves as a reading light.

I could go on and on but you weren't asking about the Explorer. I usually research all luxury cruise lines - viewing every suite, the size, amenities, etc. but have not done so for Europa for the reasons I explained earlier.

We have heard the Europa 2 was fabulous as well as the Seabourn Encore which we will be sailing later this year. I don't think TC has sailed these lines or Crystal so she cannot make those comparisons.

Just looked at the renderings of the Encore and am a bit disappointed with the Veranda suites (compared to the Explorer similar suites). The encore Veranda suites appear to be like most luxury cruise ships in design (bed - curtain to separate from living room area, etc.) On the Explorer, the Veranda suites have the bed facing the balcony for easier viewing of the seas. (but also has the curtain and living room area with a desk area that may or may not be on the Encore - I couldn't see it).

Also, the bathroom on the Encore looks modern (nice marble and tub -- is there also a shower as there is on the Explorer?) It seems (not sure since I'm looking at a rendering), that you store your toiletries on the open shelves on the left side. The Explorer has 3 or 4 cabinets beneath the sink as well as two "medicine cabinets" (enclosed). Also, the length of the counter in the sink appears half the length of the one on the Explorer.

While the renderings of the Encore are beautiful and there are many aspects of the ship that are amazing, I'm guessing that the Explorer will keep her "title" - at least for now. Guess only time will tell.

Just looked at the renderings of the Encore and am a bit disappointed with the Veranda suites (compared to the Explorer similar suites). The encore Veranda suites appear to be like most luxury cruise ships in design (bed - curtain to separate from living room area, etc.) On the Explorer, the Veranda suites have the bed facing the balcony for easier viewing of the seas. (but also has the curtain and living room area with a desk area that may or may not be on the Encore - I couldn't see it).

Also, the bathroom on the Encore looks modern (nice marble and tub -- is there also a shower as there is on the Explorer?) It seems (not sure since I'm looking at a rendering), that you store your toiletries on the open shelves on the left side. The Explorer has 3 or 4 cabinets beneath the sink as well as two "medicine cabinets" (enclosed). Also, the length of the counter in the sink appears half the length of the one on the Explorer.

While the renderings of the Encore are beautiful and there are many aspects of the ship that are amazing, I'm guessing that the Explorer will keep her "title" - at least for now. Guess only time will tell.

There is a shower in the Veranda suites on Encore.

I'm confused about your statement regarding the bed facing the balcony in the Explorer Veranda suites.

I've checked the graphic on Regent's website and neither category of Veranda suite seems to have that layout. The 'Superior suites' , on the other hand, do.

The Veranda suite is the least expensive suite category on the Encore and to make a comparison surely it needs to be compared with Regent's least expensive suite category.

The Veranda suites I can see on Regent's website are very similar in layout to Encore's Veranda suites. Is that not how they actually appear in reality?

Edited by Isklaar

There is a shower in the Veranda suites on Encore.

I'm confused about your statement regarding the bed facing the balcony in the Explorer Veranda suites.

I've checked the graphic on Regent's website and neither category of Veranda suite seems to have that layout. The 'Superior suites' , on the other hand, do.

The Veranda suite is the least expensive suite category on the Encore and to make a comparison surely it needs to be compared with Regent's least expensive suite category.

The Veranda suites I can see on Regent's website are very similar in layout to Encore's Veranda suites. Is that not how they actually appear in reality?

Interesting point. IMO, the lowest categories on the Explorer "sucks" (for a lack of a better word). If that is your comparison, then the Encore probably wins hands down. However, Regent lists an "H" suite on the Explorer as a "Veranda suite". I, on the other hand discounted the suites that I consider poor on the Explorer ("G 1 and 2" and "H") and compared the Encore's lowest category suites (which I believe are the "Veranda" suites) to the "Superior" suites on the Explorer.

I looked at upcoming cruises on the Encore and it appeared that the level above a "Veranda" suite is a PH. Can this really be true?

On the Explorer, while levels "G" and "H" are being avoided by most cruisers, levels F1, F2, "E" and "D" on the Explorer are the ones that I described (the "E" and "D" categories being identical to inside to the F1 and F2 suites but have a larger balcony - one that has a chaise lounge as well as a reclining chair and a table.

In any case, it is the cruising public that will decide which ship "reigns supreme".

Having sailed on Crystal (both ships) and Regent (Explorer), I tend to agree with Travelcat2 on how stunning/divine the Explorer is. (Of course, it's purely subjective, as it is with the food.)

We had a Concierge suite (no butler), and couldn't have been more delighted with the layout, finishes, and simply, just the gorgeousness of the cabin. This 'luxury' extended throughout the ship.

Because of itinerary considerations, we haven't booked another Explorer cruise yet ... but are thrilled we were able to experience this level of luxury on the high seas.

Why are people not booking G1 and G2 cabins? Our TA booked us in a G2 for a cruise in May. What is wrong with them? For a new luxury liner and the cost of the cruise, we are expecting a lot!

People are booking G cabins. There's nothing at all wrong with them, but I think when we looked at booking our cruise it was only an extra $300 pp to book an F2 over a G2 and for us it was worth the extra money to get the extra space and we liked the layout a bit better.

But to better compare, we booked an F2 for ourselves and a G2 for my mom. I figured that would let us compare the differences.

For my tastes, the H cabins are too small. The Gs are pretty close in size to the basic Mariner cabins. I think it all comes down to personal preference.

Why are people not booking G1 and G2 cabins? Our TA booked us in a G2 for a cruise in May. What is wrong with them? For a new luxury liner and the cost of the cruise, we are expecting a lot!

Our TA recommends against booking "G" suites and I agree - unless you really do research. If you have sailed on other Regent ships, G1 and G2 suites could be disappointing. We were fortunate enough to have toured all levels of suites twice. It isn't only the G1/G2 that we don't care for, it is also PH suites. The bathrooms in G1/G2 are less than half of the size of F1/F2 and the same can be said for the closet. The bed is fine as is the balcony. If you have nothing to compare it to (or if you have sailed on non-luxury cruise ships), the suites are fine. However, at least 80% of Regent cruisers are repeat cruisers which means that they do know how large the smallest suites are on the other ships.

While Bill may be correct that G1/G2 are selling fine on some itineraries, our last cruise was sold out a year in advance - except for G1/G2 which, IMO, says a lot.

If you look at the difference in cost between the G1/G2 and the F1/F2, IMO, it worth every penny to change to the F1/F2. They are amazing suites with both a bathtub and large shower, double sinks, loads of storage, etc.

Note: Have to ask if your TA regularly books Regent cruises because, only those TA's are familiar with the Explorer suites (most have sailed on her). If you booked with someone that is not offering you a rebate and/or on board credits, you may consider rebooking with another TA. This would not be the first time that a TA gave information to a client when they were not familiar with a product. The person that loses out is the client.

Anyway, that is my "take" on the situation.

P.S. We have stayed in a F1, Concierge and Grand Suite and have a Master Suite and concierge suite booked in the future.

Edited by Travelcat2

They are a little small for us. They are about the same square footage as the basic suites on Mariner, but because of the way they are configured, seem much smaller.

The documentary aired Wednesday evening in Columbus, Ohio and I have to say I was intrigued enough to look up Explorer on the internet. We have never sailed them but, having done 2 European riverboat cruises with AmaWaterways, I am very intrigued by the all-inclusive aspect. That is one thing I love about the riverboats and am growing to dislike about the non-luxury lines I have cruised in the Caribbean.

Has anyone cruised with them in Alaska? That cruise is on our bucket list for a few years from now and we are still researching which line(s) do the best job of hitting the important things for a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

The documentary aired Wednesday evening in Columbus, Ohio and I have to say I was intrigued enough to look up Explorer on the internet. We have never sailed them but, having done 2 European riverboat cruises with AmaWaterways, I am very intrigued by the all-inclusive aspect. That is one thing I love about the riverboats and am growing to dislike about the non-luxury lines I have cruised in the Caribbean.

Has anyone cruised with them in Alaska? That cruise is on our bucket list for a few years from now and we are still researching which line(s) do the best job of hitting the important things for a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

We have cruised with Regent twice to Alaska (obviously not on the Explorer as she is new and doesn't sail in Alaska). We avoid mid-June - mid-August due to the number of children on board. Our favorite month to cruise Alaska is May. The weather is typically great and kids are still in school:)

The bathrooms on the Encore do have a separate shower. And again, Regent can call the Explorer the most luxurious ship in the world but it means about as much as the Burj Al Arab calling itself a seven star hotel. Ratings mean nothing when you give them to yourself.