QM2 Two nighter Excursions

missalto

Having sailed on QM2 several times before I am planning on taking my Dad on a 2 nighter in May. Whilst it would be lovely to visit Ypres, Bruges etc he has limited walking ability and I was wondering if anyone already has the excursions list for this voyage (22/ 23May) since I am interested in knowing if there are any low level excursions, preferably half day, that would be mainly coach based with limited walking.

Failing that I am thinking that the ship's shuttle bus to Blankenburge may have to be our best option. I know it is a pretty seaside town with bars, restaurants etc.

When l did the Ypres tour in 2015 the bus left and returned to the quayside. If the tour is the same you will be taken to Tyne Cot cemetery in the Ypres Salient where there will be a requirement to cross the car park from the bus to enter the cemetery, there are toilets there and walking is across a flat tarmacadam surface. You are left free to wander the cemetery after a short introduction by the guide.

The tour then takes you to the city of Ypres where you will view the Menin Gate, visit the museum and have some spare time before joining the bus back to the ship. To get into the Menin Gate there are stairs but you can easily just stay on the flat surface of the roadway and get a significant impression it.

I can't recall exactly but most of the tour was at your own pace, the guide did most of the talking there and back on board the bus and you were left to soak in the atmosphere of it all privately. Ypres is a pleasant town with plenty of coffee shops etc if all you wish to do is sit down as opposed to walk about. I don't suppose you even have to enter the museum if you don't want to but there were plenty of seats around the exhibits. A thought provoking day.

M-AR

I've just realised the tour described above was called In Flanders Fields. If you are in the U.K. the link below will lead you to a description of the tours available.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/cruises/qm/2303-m718-sou1-sou2/ports-and-excursions/

Edited by Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Additional info

Having sailed on QM2 several times before I am planning on taking my Dad on a 2 nighter in May. Whilst it would be lovely to visit Ypres, Bruges etc he has limited walking ability and I was wondering if anyone already has the excursions list for this voyage (22/ 23May) since I am interested in knowing if there are any low level excursions, preferably half day, that would be mainly coach based with limited walking.

Failing that I am thinking that the ship's shuttle bus to Blankenburge may have to be our best option. I know it is a pretty seaside town with bars, restaurants etc.

We are on that sailing as part of a 16 day round trip crossing from NY. I also have a companion, my husband, who has difficulty walking distances. My understanding is that busses (including Cunard excursions) are not allowed into the historic city center, but park the busses a short walk from it. However, taxis and personal vehicles can go there. Taxis are a flat 50 euros per trip (same price for an 8 pax minivan as a 4 pax taxi) and will be waiting outside the port gates (free 5 minute shuttle from ship).

In Brugge/Bruges the main attraction seems to be the very popular canal boat tours (if there's a river or canal tour in a city, chances are, we'll take it). We figured the best approach would be to take a taxi into the city, take a canal tour, have lunch and short walk around the immediate neighborhood and then head back to the ship.

We are on that sailing as part of a 16 day round trip crossing from NY. I also have a companion, my husband, who has difficulty walking distances. My understanding is that busses (including Cunard excursions) are not allowed into the historic city center, but park the busses a short walk from it. However, taxis and personal vehicles can go there. Taxis are a flat 50 euros per trip (same price for an 8 pax minivan as a 4 pax taxi) and will be waiting outside the port gates (free 5 minute shuttle from ship).

In Brugge/Bruges the main attraction seems to be the very popular canal boat tours (if there's a river or canal tour in a city, chances are, we'll take it). We figured the best approach would be to take a taxi into the city, take a canal tour, have lunch and short walk around the immediate neighborhood and then head back to the ship.

Good choice. Bruges is a beautiful city and well worth seeing, both on and off the canal.