QV refit details - Chart Room is moving !

Host Hattie

Thanks for the link. I don't think it says where the Chart Room is to be removed to though.

I hope the introduction of Godiva chocolates is only for pillow chocolates and not to Cafe Carinthia or that will be the end of the biscotti (as on QM2).

"From 5 May to 4 June, she will enter dry dock for a partial refit at the Fincantieri shipyard in Palermo, Sicily". I hope she's still not in Sicily come 4th June as she has a cruise from Southampton that day!

The Godiva pillow chocolates on QM2 have a deceptively thick outer border surrounding a very thin center. Wrapped, it looks like a nice piece of chocolate but when you unwrap it it's a little disappointing

And to my palate it's a substandard grade of chocolate to be labeled Godiva.

Thanks for the link. I don't think it says where the Chart Room is to be removed to though.

You can find a deck plan for QV at Cunard.com. The Chart Room is moving forward on Deck 2 to the space occupied by Cafe Carinthia just off the Main Lobby.

Edit: compare the two versions here: http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-victoria/deck-plans/

So pleased the Chart Room is being retained in some form. We have spent many happy hours there with a cocktail in hand and listening to the jazz. I am not sure if this same entertainment will prevail in the new location.

When we were on the ship in December, rumour had it that the Chart Room was going to be moved to the photo gallery, and the acquisition of all photographs was going to be electronic. Perhaps the sales from the electronic machines now in situ did not generate much income; but then just think of the wastage from the photos, and not very eco friendly!

Looking forward to seeing the changes later this year, and hope they are all for the better.

It seems that the Cafe Carinthia will just be renamed Chart Room. This according to the new deck plans on Cunard's website.

You can find a deck plan for QV at Cunard.com. The Chart Room is moving forward on Deck 2 to the space occupied by Cafe Carinthia just off the Main Lobby.

Edit: compare the two versions here: http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-victoria/deck-plans/

Thank you both. Times for the Chart Room are 5pm until late so presumably it will be a coffee lounge during the day.

Personally I think the charm of the chart room was its position within the ship and its space. Just calling cafe corinthia 'the chart room' in the evening is not moving the chart room. It is renaming the cafe for the evenings. The chart room (my favourite space on QV) will be completely gone. Shame, it was a delightful space to sit in to read during the day and was always hugely popular in the evenings. I will miss it.

I remember a few years ago in the Chart Room on the QV; I overheard a women ask her husband (okay, I assumed they were married) "What room are we in ?". He pointed the the stylised charts on the wall and said "That should be a massive clue for you !".

It made my chuckle anyway.

Where the chart room was will be the new Brittania club restaurant and where cafe corinthia and the champagne bar were will be the new chart room.

Nice update yesterday including the fact that all staterooms will be refurbished, soft furnishings, new flat panel TVs on the walls and tea and coffee making facilities. Obviously more major changes to the aft suites :)

Looks like a good upgrade for club balcony passengers - new dedicated restaurant and tea and coffee making facilities ? Didnt think latter were going into all rooms ?
Hi flashman69,

I believe tea and coffee making facilities were placed in all cabins on QM2 at her last refit; if only a kettle and tea bags/instant coffee sachets. I can see no reason that they wouldn't do the same on QV at the upcoming refit, unless someone has heard differently? Apologies if I am mistaken.

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Here's a quote from the Savoy:

Complimentary tea & coffee making facilities are available in suite as standard and bottled water is provided at turn down.

We use mostly the Savoy when in London.

I've never yet managed to master the complicated coffee machine. Okay with the water bottles.

Tea and coffee making facilities (and biscuits in most) have been available in hotels, motels and b & b's in Australia for many, many years. I hope they will be available in the refitted rooms on QV when we sail on July 1st. !

Ha Ha , I've been following the QV refit with interest and then realise I am on the QE ;)

I'm sure I saw something on Cunard's web site recently about QE also getting in-cabin tea and coffee by the end of this year.

Re: the QV refit. Are all cabins being overhauled, or just the grades/types illustrated in the article?

Thanks

"

All Britannia staterooms on board Queen Victoria are being refurbished this May. Each will feature newly designed carpets and soft furnishings, new flat screen HD televisions and, by popular request, tea and coffee making facilities. All Queens Grill and Princess Grill suites will also receive interior enhancements during Queen Victoria’s refit to maximise space whilst ensuring unsurpassed levels of elegance and comfort."

see

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-victoria1/refit-for-a-queen/

I have never understood the British obsession with "tea and coffee making facilities" when staying in a hotel/floating hotel. It always conjures up this type of image for me:

elm.png?w=630

I suppose for many it is that sort of independence of making your own coffee/tea exactly when you want it and knowing that it will be hot. As a solo business traveller I would never be without my own tea/coffee facilities.

I have just seen the new renditions of the work they are doing to the Queen Victoria, I dont know if they have been published or are anywhere online, but I have to say they look amazing.

Although still not keen on the new profile, I still think that is a mistake, if they continue with the plans that they have the new Queen Victoria will be stunning with the new palette of colours in the staterooms and particularly the new wintergreen layout.

The midships bar will become some sort of fizz and bubble bar, the old cafe carrinthia has an entirely new layout and scheme.

And the pool area upstairs looks like nothing I have seen before on a Cunard ship, there is a new layout and plenty of shaded areas and in the renderings a number of relaxation chairs which look very comfortable.

I dont know if it was just the drawings or it is intentional but the decking looks like its been replaced by timber...please...i don't want to start a rumour - it could just be the way they had drawn the flooring in...but no one seemed to know whether it was new or not....so don't quote me....

At this stage I take back all the nasty things I said about what they are doing and am now quietly excited to see her when shes finished.

At least once onboard we wont see the ugly stern.

The renderings have been on Cunard's website for a couple of weeks now

Contrary to speculation that Queen Victoria’s popular Chart Room was to be removed during her refit, it has simply been moved.

It's been moved to the Cafe Carinthia area.Hopefully still serving coffees during the day.

The renderings have been on Cunard's website for a couple of weeks now

Contrary to speculation that Queen Victoria’s popular Chart Room was to be removed during her refit, it has simply been moved.

It's been moved to the Cafe Carinthia area.Hopefully still serving coffees during the day.

thanks ray, no I hadn't seen those pictures, you know what its like surfing the net whilst on board... in addition there are renderings of the pool at the aft with big lounge settings around it and a completely different design around the pool edge and spas, there are shelters above them and they are a much more art deco and modern style than currently there. The wintergreen has a tree in it!...i know but originally they were going to have a fountain in it in 2007 and that never eventuated so lets see. The glass roof will have a recondition. The chart room pictures of where the cafe now are very nice.

some of the new suites at the rear will be divided and made into one bedroom suites which I thought look really nice as well.

I was pleasantly surprised and hope that if the renderings are what actually happens then the ship will look stunning...(if not viewed from the stern)