Iceland Tours

HomelessBear

Visiting Iceland for the first time in June on Azura. We often do ship tours as I worry about not getting back to the ship in time. Have been looking at Fab Travel tours though, which were recommended on another thread, as an alternative.

Has anyone experience of using private tours in Iceland? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

It was probably me that mentioned Fab Travel as we used them two years ago.

I wouldn't worry about getting back to the ship on time. They schedule their tours to give a tour of the town at the end of the day trip. If the tour was running late, they would just drop that part.

The attraction to me, apart from the cheaper price, was doing tours in smaller 12 seater buses, so there was less hanging around waiting to get on and off.

Was also wondering about tendering in some Iceland ports. Have previously done ship tours and when we needed to get the tender, met in theatre and went with the group so no worry about timing getting off the ship.

If doing our own tour, do we just have to get a tender ticket and wait in a queue or just turn up and hope to get on? Worried that there will be so many folks trying to get off that we'll miss the pick up for the private tour.

Sorry I know I'm a bit of a worrier. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We did private tours in Iceland with two other couples we met on the Roll Call. Far better than ship excursions.

It's normally in the Caribbean where the Rum Runners miss the ship. We've seen them running down the quayside.

Any reputable tour operator will ensure you get back to the ship in time.

Thanks for the replies.

The itinerary shows that one Iceland port is Tender and another possible tender. If we book private tours (which we are leaning towards), I'll worry about being late off the ship if there is a "scrum" for the early tenders, and missing the pick up for the tour.

Anyone had experience of tendering in Iceland for private tours?

Thanks.