Embark/disembark question plus others

AkaBezer

Hello, I am new to CC, this is my first cruise, but a huge user of TA And how I found CC. We are on the Mariner for the June 21st cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver with Denali land option.

My title question about embark/disembark; the Itinerary says we are in Anchorage 6 am/5 pm. When do you actually board? I've heard boarding is a long process, do you start boarding at 6 am? The same for disembarking, how does it work exactly? Do they typically allow plenty time tween disembarking and the flight out? (Our flights are thru Regent).

Other questions:

Tracy Arm - looking at glacier cruise and read that the trip leaves from the ship and drops you off in Juneau. Is this correct? Also, the tour is six hours long, what does the Mariner do all that time?

Ketchikan - Cuz of our like of learning and of native cultures we are doing the Saxman Village. Is it cool or kitschy? If you know the reference, we love Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Mi. From my reading I get the impression we can ditch the Lumberman show if wanted and check out the town instead. Yes/no?

I have yet to search the forum for info on the Denali land portion, but any suggestions bout independent tour operators for Denali?

TYIA

Hello, I am new to CC, this is my first cruise, but a huge user of TA And how I found CC. We are on the Mariner for the June 21st cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver with Denali land option.

My title question about embark/disembark; the Itinerary says we are in Anchorage 6 am/5 pm. When do you actually board? I've heard boarding is a long process, do you start boarding at 6 am? The same for disembarking, how does it work exactly? Do they typically allow plenty time tween disembarking and the flight out? (Our flights are thru Regent).

Other questions:

Tracy Arm - looking at glacier cruise and read that the trip leaves from the ship and drops you off in Juneau. Is this correct? Also, the tour is six hours long, what does the Mariner do all that time?

Ketchikan - Cuz of our like of learning and of native cultures we are doing the Saxman Village. Is it cool or kitschy? If you know the reference, we love Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Mi. From my reading I get the impression we can ditch the Lumberman show if wanted and check out the town instead. Yes/no?

I have yet to search the forum for info on the Denali land portion, but any suggestions bout independent tour operators for Denali?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. While you may get some input here, since you mention you are a huge user of your TA we hope you will contact him/her to get all the answers to your travel questions.

Since you are embarking in Anchorage (actually Seward), and are doing the Denali precruise, regent will take care of everything as far as embarkation. They will take you to Seward by either bus or train, probably train, and you will just board the ship. Couldn't be easier.

With disembarkation, you will be assigned a time based on when your flight leaves, and you will disembark then. A regent bus will take you to the airport. Disembarkation usually starts about 8 am and finishes up no later than 9 or 9:30. But they will give you a time once you are on the ship.

As far as Tracy Arm, it is my very favorite anywhere excursion. The boat will pick you up off the ship then drop you off in Juneau afterward. Mariner just sails on to Juneau.

Agree with what RachelG posted but have additional comments.

Not sure where you heard/read that embarkation is a long process. This is not true. There is usually a very short wait, however, embarking in Seward could be longer only because groups of passengers are being delivered to the port at the same time.

You will likely enjoy your excursion in Ketchikan but keep in mind that it rains almost every day. Our favorite excursion in Ketchikan is the Crab Feast (but it does not give you the cultural knowledge that you are seeking).

I'm sure that you will love Tracy Arm but our favorite glacier is Hubbard (you will be visiting there on June 22nd. If Hubbard Glacier is calving, it might be the most amazing experience that you have seen. The ice breaking away is so loud that it sounds like thunder.

Hope that you have a great cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. While you may get some input here, since you mention you are a huge user of your TA we hope you will contact him/her to get all the answers to your travel questions.

TA in the original poster's paragraph refers to TripAdvisor. Cruise Critic was acquired in 2007 by Trip Advisor.

Ketchikan ShorEx. Saxman village is a collection to Totem Poles and a "Show" by indigenous "first peoples." Usually this a couple with a lumberjack show. Kitschy score=8.

For your first time to Ketchican you should do a flight seeing float plane trip out to Misty Fjords. I don't know what the ship charges but you can book on you own for about $225-$250+ pp. There are probably 8 companies that offer tours. Misty Fjord is IMO the best tour on a cruise and the best opportunity to see bears and whales. If you are with a group of 5-8 people you can book the whole plane and the pilot will go a little out of the way to look for wildlife along the way. I booked a plane and took my grand kids. The pilot landed on-route near a small rocky island that was cover with giant seals. We saw bears with cubs and an Orca pod and mountain goats.

The town is cute to walk around for an hour or two after/before your flight.There is a small river that flow into town. You can walk up behind the town a 1/4 mile or so and find a small waterfall and if the time is right the salmon may be spawning.

J

40/595

I don't think anyone has addressed your question about the timing of embarkation at the beginning of your cruise.

Embarkation normally starts around midday, but your suite will not be available until between 2pm and 3pm. Just relax on the ship, have a drink, take lunch until the announcement is made that your suite is ready :cool:

Since you are new to cruising, and to Regent, you may find the FAQs on the Regent website to be of use:

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/arriving-departing/

If you cannot find an answer, someone on this Board will be able to help :)