RSSC Navigator vs. SS Whisper

SSCAF001

Hello

There are 2 very similar cruises for Christmas 2018

Silversea whisper from FLL to SFO 18 nights

Regent Navigator from MIA to LA 16 nights

I have cruised 3 times on cunard queens grill QM2 twice and QV once but never on a luxury line.

Which cruise line would you recommend most between SS and RSSC and more specifically between SS Whisper and RSSC Navigator. I have read that the Navigator does not behave well in rough seas. What about the Whisper? Many thanks in advance for your kind advices to help me to choose. Cheers from Switzerland.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having cruised on both ships, I can point out a few differences. In general, the Navigator's suites are larger. I'm not talking about the really premium suites, as I am not familiar with them. The Whisper carries about 140 fewer guests, and is a smaller ship, though the space/passenger space ratio is about equal on both ships. On the whisper you will have real formal nights where men need to wear dark suit and tie or a tux. On the Navigator men will be fine with nice slacks and a nice shirt. Shore excursions are included on the Navigator but not on the Whisper. The Navigator is subject to vibration problems -- especially in the stern, bow, and low areas of the ship, whereas the Whisper isn't. Regent's fare includes air, but as all your flights are domestic, it will be coach/economy. If you want business or first class air, you will have to take a credit from Regent and book your own air or try to upgrade through Regent (something with which we've had no luck).

Hope this helps.

First I need to say that I absolutely love the Whisper. I disagree with Dolebludger that the space/passenger ratio is about the same. The Whisper only holds 382 passengers vs. the Navigator's 490 so the extra space on the ship makes it much more spacious than the Navigator.

The Navigator suites are slightly larger than the Whisper suites(15 sq. ft. larger - not including balcony if you select a balcony suite). We have only stayed in a Silver Suite on the Whisper and it was lovely (and included laundry:-)

What Dolebludger says about the dress code is true but we became used to it. Air is also an issue as are excursions (I am not familiar with some of the included excursions being offered by Silversea but I feel that you may want to look into it).

In terms of service - I feel that Regent and Silversea are equal. The Whisper, IMO, is dramatically better than the Navigator (both were refurbished in 2016). Some of the dining venues are better on Silversea and others are better on Regent.

Whichever choice you make, you should enjoy either cruise line.

P.S. Regarding air, Dolebludger didn't notice that you are in Switzerland. Your included flights through Regent should be Business Class - both to Miami and returning from Los Angeles.

P.S. Regarding air, Dolebludger didn't notice that you are in Switzerland. Your included flights through Regent should be Business Class - both to Miami and returning from Los Angeles.

I am surprised, as I thought Regent's prices in Europe only included economy air unless additional payment is made; this is the case in the UK anyway

My understanding was that it is only in North America where Regent's base price now includes Business Air...................but maybe I am wrong or out-of-date

I am surprised, as I thought Regent's prices in Europe only included economy air unless additional payment is made; this is the case in the UK anyway

My understanding was that it is only in North America where Regent's base price now includes Business Air...................but maybe I am wrong or out-of-date

You could very well be correct which is why I said "should be". Those of us in North America are not up to date with Regent guidelines in other countries. I guess it works both ways.

IMO that is a very strange rule. I can't imagine flying from Switzerland or the U.K. to the U.S. in anything less than Business Class - definitely not luxury!

In any case, I still recommend the Whisper over the Navigator if the price different is not great.

IMO that is a very strange rule. I can't imagine flying from Switzerland or the U.K. to the U.S. in anything less than Business Class - definitely not luxury!

It is not compulsory; one just has to pay Regent extra for Business or take the air credit and arrange the flights direct using cash or air miles

Surely this is only the same as it used to be in the US until Regent upped the base fare to include international Business flights

It is not compulsory; one just has to pay Regent extra for Business or take the air credit and arrange the flights direct using cash or air miles

Surely this is only the same as it used to be in the US until Regent upped the base fare to include international Business flights

Regent has included Business Class flights to Europe for many years.

Travelcat2,

I did not know that Silverseas fare now included laundry service (not self service?). If so, that would be a huge plus for us!. And no, I am not is Switzerland. I am in Durango, Colorado. And I did not know that Silveresas included ANY shore excursions in their fare. And there used to be a site where one could compare overall space/passenger ratios on various ships. Several years ago, I compared several Silverseas ships with several Regent ships, and found the ratios to be very close, Unfortunately, I have lost the link to that site, so if anybody can furnish it, this would be of help to us all.

flossie,

Looks like from your posted link that Regent is saying that if your cruise involves international flights, they will include business class air all the way from their "gateway airports". This was not true in 2015, when Regent booked us in coach/economy from Denver (a gateway airport) to LA. Now the flight from there to Tahiti was business, but not the one from Denver to LA. So now Regent seems to be saying that if we took the same cruise now, it would be Business class form Denver to LA. One needs to have their TA check with Regent before relying on this interpretation.

I think that all of us are hijacking this thread. The TS wants to know about Silversea's Whisper vs. Regent's Navigator. Perhaps it would be a good idea for those of us in the U.S. not to try and decipher and rules overseas and visa versa (although this could be an interesting topic for another thread).

In terms of airfare, I suggest that the TS contact their TA (Travel Agent) to determine exactly what air would cost from Switzerland to the U.S. in whatever class they wish to fly on both cruise lines. In terms of the rest of the experience on the two ships, both Dolebludger and I have personal experience with the Whisper and Navigator and have made our relevant comments. I truly help that this information has been helpful.

Regent has included Business Class flights to Europe for many years.

TC, I beg to differ. Included BC air from the US to Europe only started this year. Prior to that it was a sometimes costly upgrade, although the did run specials at times.

We have cruised many times on Regent Navigator and once on Silver Whisper, which is a lovely ship by any standard.

As for the passenger/space ratio, it is dramatically superior on Silver Whisper, with an astounding p/s ratio of 72.8, compared with a respectable p/s ration on Navigator of 58.2.

The standard cabins on both ships are quite similar, both in size and in décor, as they were built in the same shipyard in Italy. Of course, now that Regent has seen fit to do away with most of the lovely woodwork in the standard cabins, they will not be as similar as they would have been a year ago.:rolleyes:

We found that the two ships handled moderate water quite comparably. As we've not experienced Silver Whisper in really heavy water, we cannot make that analysis.

Silver Whisper is the most beautiful ship on which we've sailed (as we haven't yet cruised on "The Most Luxurious Ship Ever Built" ;p ).

Frankly, I don't think that you can go far wrong on either the Whisper or Navigator.

One key factor to consider is your preferences in terms of onboard attire for dinner. Silversea is much more formal, with three levels of dress code: resort casual, semi-formal (jacket & tie), and formal (suit or tux), with the appropriate level of dress for ladies. On the other hand, Regent is resort casual all of the time, meaning one does not need to even bring a jacket on board if one does not wish to do so. Thus, if one likes to dress up, Silversea offers more occasions to do so, while Regent offers them as well, although they are optional.

I will admit that the dress code on Silversea is a factor in our having chosen not to return to that line, although the dress code is a deciding factor in the choice of several of our friends to repeatedly return to Silversea. Something to consider, no??

Have fun making your choice.

TC, I beg to differ. Included BC air from the US to Europe only started this year. Prior to that it was a sometimes costly upgrade, although the did run specials at times.

Gosh - I hate when you are right:evilsmile: My brain was set on automatic (kind of like your cars:-) We always sailed in a PH suite so we have had Business Class air to Europe for many years. I stupidly forgot that this was not the case for every one. Kindly accept my humble apologies.

The dress code on Silversea only applies to the main dining room. You can wear resort casual for the entire cruise if you avoid the MDR. I didn't take a jacket much less a tie on my last Silversea trip and I think many other passengers did the same.

The dress code on Silversea only applies to the main dining room. You can wear resort casual for the entire cruise if you avoid the MDR. I didn't take a jacket much less a tie on my last Silversea trip and I think many other passengers did the same.

I did not realize that this was the case. We always dressed according to that days policy wherever we went on the ship. We generally went into a lounge before dinner and saw everyone "trussed up" in there - no casual attire. Just want to verify that you can go into the lounge, after 6:00 p.m. on a "formal" night without a tie and jacket.

Thanks!

FWIW, the last times we cruised Silversea, one had to wear at least a jacket and tie in the lounges after 6:00 PM. I came back form a shore excursion and didn't check my watch. Wanted a beer, but the lounge staff would not serve me because I was casually dressed. More recently, I have checked with Silversea and was told this policy is still in place. If there has been a change, I would certainly like to have confirmation of it.

Travelcat2,

I did not know that Silverseas fare now included laundry service (not self service?). If so, that would be a huge plus for us!. And no, I am not is Switzerland. I am in Durango, Colorado. And I did not know that Silveresas included ANY shore excursions in their fare. And there used to be a site where one could compare overall space/passenger ratios on various ships. Several years ago, I compared several Silverseas ships with several Regent ships, and found the ratios to be very close, Unfortunately, I have lost the link to that site, so if anybody can furnish it, this would be of help to us all.

Should have responded to your post a couple of days ago. Laundry service is included for passengers in Silver Suites and above. This has been the case for quite a long time.

Personally, I haven't put on a tie in many years and don't want to go on a ship (or any other place) where I am required by rule or custom to wear one. But many others like cruises and events where everybody dresses up, and I respect their choices. Just different from mine. Trouble is, it's not easy to get info on what dress is required in various parts of a ship at various times. No cruise ad ever mentions the subject. So having an informed TA is a real benefit.