Using the Theatre on formal evenings

emel2

"Any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests."

Does this apply to the Theatre if you're in cocktail mode rather than formal dress?

"Any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests."

Does this apply to the Theatre if you're in cocktail mode rather than formal dress?

If by "cocktail mode" you mean wearing a cocktail dress, then you are dressed according to what Cunard considers formal attire, thus you can indeed enjoy the Theatre :)

"Formal: Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies..." - copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

"Any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar,

but should not use other areas within the ship,

including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests."

That's ok for me but my brother will be wearing a blazer or tweed jacket,
For your brother from Cunard's website:

"Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and military uniform."

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

I fully agree with Formal Dress, but, I do think a blazer would be O.K. I have seen a male in shorts one evening much to my dismay.:)

Unfortunately while your friend might look terrific in a blazer, a blazer without matching pants would not fit the formal dress code. And if it is enforced, he might be asked to leave the theater. Sorry about that.

This applies to all Public space except the cafeteria and adjacent lounge and the outside decks, though on a warm evening seeing people dressed in formal wear VS casual on the outer decks does bring back memories of the finer days at sea.

This applies to all Public space except the cafeteria and adjacent lounge and the outside decks, though on a warm evening seeing people dressed in formal wear VS casual on the outer decks does bring back memories of the finer days at sea.

Hi Lakesregion. I know we have discussed this before, so please excuse me for repeating myself. But apparently, on QM2, the formal dress code does not apply to Kings Court, the Carinthia Lounge or G32. [source https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/enforced_dresscode ] -S.

I've seen that, but G32 is the worst place to be if dressed casually, given the necessary route.

We agree on that.

Perhaps this is a test regarding further relaxation of the Formal Dress Code & acceptance thereof?

In my experience no-one enforces the dress code in the Royal Court Theatre. If it is a rare evening performance by RADA or a classical concert, the dress code is adhered to by most if not all. But the one time I attended one of those "big shows" on a formal night it was obvious the dress code meant nothing. It was apparent that many members of the audience came straight from the cafeteria. One elderly man came in wearing a flowery track-suit - or maybe it was pyjamas :) - and a Holland America baseball cap.

I have to say, the impression I got on last autumn's cruise on the QE, that a blind eye was turned to the few who were not dressed to the code.

On a previous Cunard QE not all of the few were overlooked.

On a formal night from the position of our box, we noted two central rows containing many underdressed guests. I called for the Hostest to attend and pointed out the culprits. They were not removed, but all received a dress code warning, being the acts sitting with friends and family.

Think on next cruise, one will make a concerted effort to stand near any of those not appropriately dressed, and call for security to remove them. (Pigeons, the, amongst, cat)

This should send a clear message to Cunard and those not respecting other guests who have made the effort to adhere to the dress code.

On a previous Cunard QE not all of the few were overlooked.

On a formal night from the position of our box, we noted two central rows containing many underdressed guests. I called for the Hostest to attend and pointed out the culprits. They were not removed, but all received a dress code warning, being the acts sitting with friends and family.

Think on next cruise, one will make a concerted effort to stand near any of those not appropriately dressed, and call for security to remove them. (Pigeons, the, amongst, cat)

This should send a clear message to Cunard and those not respecting other guests who have made the effort to adhere to the dress code.

This is a joke, right?

... Perhaps this is a test regarding further relaxation of the Formal Dress Code & acceptance thereof?
Hi Salacia

What concerns me (as a loyal Cunard-only passenger) is this; if casual wear (Blazers or Tweed Jackets) becomes acceptable on Formal Evenings, then the next stage is the theatre and bars being outside of the formal "ship-wide" dress-code area.

Before we know it, "formal" will be "dining rooms only" and the majority of people will be changing after eating.

Then it will be short sleeve shirts on "formal nights"... and then, within a few years, a clean T-shirt and shorts being the only requirement.

At some point, given the scenario above, Cunard will become just another cruise line (and I'll stop sailing).

If one wishes to ignore the set dress-code in the areas of a Cunard ship where "formal wear" is currently required, then there is no lack of choice of many other ships where a passenger would fit right in, and not have to worry about looking out of place. I would suggest to anyone that is uncomfortable with a formal dress-code, that they should look at booking one of those and leave Cunard as is, thank you.

Very best wishes to you Salacia :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Salacia

What concerns me (as a loyal Cunard-only passenger) is this; if casual wear (Blazers or Tweed Jackets) becomes acceptable on Formal Evenings, then the next stage is the theatre and bars being outside of the formal "ship-wide" dress-code area.

Before we know it, "formal" will be "dining rooms only" and the majority of people will be changing after eating.

Then it will be short sleeve shirts on "formal nights"... and then, within a few years, a clean T-shirt and shorts being the only requirement.

At some point, given the scenario above, Cunard will become just another cruise line (and I'll stop sailing).

If one wishes to ignore the set dress-code in the areas of a Cunard ship where "formal wear" is currently required, then there is no lack of choice of many other ships where a passenger would fit right in, and not have to worry about looking out of place. I would suggest to anyone that is uncomfortable with a formal dress-code, that they should look at booking one of those and leave Cunard as is, thank you.

Very best wishes to you Salacia :) .

Why can't people just respect the dress code. You know when you book that Cunard is quite formal so if you don't like it cruise with someone else.

I hear you and support your premise that formal means formal. By observing what happens in reality on board l believe we are a long way from T-shirts on formal nights.

What you do see here is occasional threads asking for advice like this one about how informal can you get on a formal night and access all areas, but how many Cunard travellers or potential Cunard travellers actually post here? My guess is that it is only a small percentage.

Add to that the number of returnees you see or hear of on the ships which l regard as almost by default an acceptance of the formal dress code. Invitations to World Club parties are said to number more than half the guests on many voyages I have taken or example. To expand on this, last time on QE they had to split us into two separate rooms.

My point really is that l am confident we have a long way to go before it all goes to wrack and ruin, if ever.

On the issue about other cruise lines, why don't we say here instead of "go elsewhere", please come along on Cunard, dress formally and you will love it? Let's appear to be inclusive and fair minded while encouraging and extolling formal wear rather than be so discouraging and putting up the "you are not wanted" attitude.

M-AR

Edited by Mid-Atlantic Ridge