Formal /evening wear for an elderly lady

NickiP

My 82 year old Mum & I are thinking of booking a cruise on QE to see the Norwegian fjords later this year. My problem is, my mother doesn't really 'do' evening dress. We've been on Fred Olsen & P&O cruises previously. On the FO she didn't look out of place at all, as the dress code was pretty casual. On P&O, on the formal nights, whilst I wore evening wear, she just wore a pretty dress. I tried to find her a more 'sparkly' outfit before the P&O cruise, but she's a tiny little old lady with slight osteoporosis, so nothing she tried on looked 'right'. We never did find an evening dress, so she just wore her best dress. On P&O, whilst she did look slightly underdressed, no one was worried, but it sounds like Cunard may be a different matter. If I'm wearing an evening gown, & Mum isn't a) will we be allowed in the restaurant/theatre etc & b) will she look completely out of place? Any ideas for where we could find her an evening outfit (she doesn't wear trousers)?

I shouldn't worry about your mum at all......so long as she's not wearing her shorts or joggers! There are plenty of ladies in Sunday best dresses. ladies who are a little frail would find it quite dangerous to be wearing a long dress as it can be quite hard walking up and down any steps without standing on your dress.

A nice dress or skirt and blouse with perhaps a cardigan with a little bit of sparkle or nice brooch would be perfect. And anyone who says different hasn't been on many Cunard cruises.

My mums 83 in April and my sister and I have this week booked a P&O cruise for the three of us in May. Mum likes some of the dresses at a shop called Roman and she has also found some lovely dresses in Debenhams

0f26a9337493492fb6e462e6ce625aa3.jpg062aac9d03f62b413172f4e808fe21d5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Tangoqueen, you have reassured me! I will suggest 'Roman' & Debenhams too, you never know, she might find something she likes, but if not, I won't worry. You Mum looks fantastic for her age by the way!

I would definitely look at Roman - they have some lovely sparkly cardigans that would turn anything in to a formal night code! My mum is 79 and doesn't wear classic formal now but looks great in a nice dress with a wrap or glittery top. There are some lovely long skirts around too, which fit the bill. Have a lovely time.

Thanks Tangoqueen, you have reassured me! I will suggest 'Roman' & Debenhams too, you never know, she might find something she likes, but if not, I won't worry. You Mum looks fantastic for her age by the way!

Thanks NickiP, you're mum will have a great time and I'm sure she will look great too.......I think of these holidays as "making special memories", it's great to have some quality time together knowing she's safe and cared for and forgetting about all the drs appointments, tests and hospital visits. The photo was around her 80th birthday but she still looks great now x

She shan't be leaving her room without proper attire. :p

I'm absolutely sure she will. I have never seen anyone refused entry despite some very inappropriately dressed passengers. I would love to see dress code enforced but quite frankly in reality it is not happening.

Enjoy your holiday - a blazer will be totally accepted.

Your mum looked amazing at 80!

Sparkly cardigans in a colour to go with her favourite dresses. Some glittery jewellery works as well, no need to spend a fortune, lots of pretty stuff in the high street chains including Marks and Spencer.

And you have some ideas for Mothers Day gifts for her!

Your mum looked amazing at 80!

Sparkly cardigans in a colour to go with her favourite dresses. Some glittery jewellery works as well, no need to spend a fortune, lots of pretty stuff in the high street chains including Marks and Spencer.

And you have some ideas for Mothers Day gifts for her!

Thank you, she's a pretty amazing lady. She won't believe the lovely compliments when I see her tomorrow x

Big Mac's ladies were excellent, I think your mother at 82 could easily attend a formal night with a slightly more casual look just to get a comfy outfit. I sailed last week on P&O and at breakfast an elderly lady asked me to guess her age, I went for 80 as it seemed realistic, she said 98. That's elderly.

Regards John

Thanks for this. I'm much younger, but am bringing a 2 year old and 6 year old so I was hoping a nice wrap dress would be acceptable on our Cunard Norwegian cruise. It's not really an evening dress, but it is black and I can't wear anything that can't be washed easily or isn't good for chasing kids in.

Thanks for this. I'm much younger, but am bringing a 2 year old and 6 year old so I was hoping a nice wrap dress would be acceptable on our Cunard Norwegian cruise. It's not really an evening dress, but it is black and I can't wear anything that can't be washed easily or isn't good for chasing kids in.

You can never go wrong with a little black dress! Though I usually do the black trousers and top (cover a multitude of sins there). Also easy for chasing kids although those years are well behind me. I have a few 'evening' wraps that I drape ever so fetchingly across my shoulders and if you had a silver or gold one that would lift the outfit again.

Ladies in their 80s always look elegant! It's us 20 somethings in our jeans that they're afraid of ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with you, re young and older people,the problem is once we lose the dress code, that is it, very little chance of going back, maybe younger people should think what they would to be dress like in their senior years?

I agree with you, re young and older people,the problem is once we lose the dress code, that is it, very little chance of going back, maybe younger people should think what they would to be dress like in their senior years?

Maybe! I did partake in the dress code on my last Cunard cruise, it made a nice change.

Still not giving up my jeans for good though...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums