LIVE ("lite") Explorer - 3/26 - 4/9

Travelcat2

Starting this the day before embarking on the Explorer as we are busy until after we board the ship. Since I've posted from the Explorer on three cruises in the past few months, I hope that everyone else will discuss general impressions of the ship. My main focus will be on the "hot topics":

- is there soot on the aft part of the ship?

- vibration

- is there air leaking from the doors? If so what is being done?

- hogs (as in chair hogs on the pool deck)

- Any other issues that require attention on the Explorer.

It was great to see you and Dennis this morning and I forgot to tell you that The Boss sends her apologies for not being able to make it. We hope you have a pleasant crossing and a great time in all the ports. Please let us know if Olga is onboard.

Z and TB

It was great to see you and Dennis this morning and I forgot to tell you that The Boss sends her apologies for not being able to make it. We hope you have a pleasant crossing and a great time in all the ports. Please let us know if Olga is onboard.

Z and TB

It was great seeing you and Rob as well. Wish that we could have visited longer. Hugs to TB.

Since you are on Explorer and previously toured suites is there a desk in PH suites?

Really struggling to decide between a PH or F. Would love the extra square footage but not if it's not well laid out and appointed.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your sail.

Since you are on Explorer and previously toured suites is there a desk in PH suites?

Really struggling to decide between a PH or F. Would love the extra square footage but not if it's not well laid out and appointed.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your sail.

There is a desk next to the bed that also serves as your end table and vanity.

I'm glad that the question about the PH suites was answered as I truly do not remember anything about desks. I will say that the PH, Seven Seas, Grand and Master Suites have smaller closets than the F1, F2 and Concierge Suites

Since I have been asked about service, I'll start with embarkation day. Lunch was a special event for our TA and was held in CR. It was a set menu and each course was impeccable! Service was slower than normal.

This evening we dined in Chartreuse. The service was impeccable! The rack of lamb was amongst the best we have ever had. While many guests were watching the sail away from the pool deck, we were watching from a window seat in Chartreuse

I'm glad that the question regarding a desk in the PH was answered because I truly cannot remember details of that suite (other than the small closet). Having said that, the Grand and Master Suites have smaller closets than the F1, F2 and Concierge suites.

Since I have been asked about service, I'll start with embarkation day. Lunch was a special event for our TA and was held in CR. It was a set menu and each course was impeccable! Service was slower than normal.

This evening we dined in Chartreuse. The service was impeccable! The rack of lamb was amongst the best we have ever had. While many guests were watching the sail away from the pool deck, we were watching from a window seat in Chartreuse

Sorry that this is in several parts but I am having difficulties with CC.

not the best time to visit Miami (IMO). We stayed at the Grand Hotel Surfside (not a Regent hotel) and enjoyed it very much. It was near shopping and a lot of restaurants. We would stay in that area again. Also, as the result of "spring break" (which tends to be most of March and part of April because of the different schedules of universities, high schools and other schools throughout the U.S.) The airports in Vancouver and Phoenix were very crowded with families and children (much like summer).

Vibration is an interesting issue. Speaking for myself, when the seas are like glass and there is no ship movement, I am a bit disappointed. Since we were dining aft, we felt a small vibration (typical of any ship that is maneuvering out of port). During dinner there was a slight "sway" was that enjoyable. Since the Business Center is mid

So sorry for the messed up posts. I've gone upstairs to our suite and it seems to be working from here. So, I'll continue :

I mentioned it to the Maitre d' who agreed with us -- this is a ship and movement is to be expected.

Regarding air coming in from sliding glass doors (this issue is identified as being seals and gaskets). Due to the expertise in Europe, this will be fixed over the next several weeks. While I'm guessing that some passengers will continue complaining, it is what it is.

Mr. Del Rio was onboard measuring for new artwork. Jason Montague (CEO and President of Regent) and other officers of NCLH and Regent were also onboard this afternoon. I want to give a special thank you to Jason O'Keefe who manages the Seven Seas Society (and handles many other areas). He is does a great job for Regent.! Jason Montague and Jason O'Keefe will both be onboard for the next cruise. Jason O'Keefe has some fun things in store for the guests and Jason Montague will have a "Town Hall Meeting" will be "interesting" (to say the least).

More as I learn more.

P.S. Internet connection is great from our suite!

New artwork? The current artwork is only what, eight months old? Forget about new artwork, put that money into fixing the window seals or providing reliable internet...

:confused:[/quote

Amen!

We have lots of friends on board this trip. Lots of eyes and ears. And they are already reporting a laugh a minute. They are with a group that enjoyed a special boarding day lunch in Compass Rose that was off the charts. Far more than anyone anticipated. We wish we could be with them. Don't think they care much about the honchos on board. Sounds to us like they are the real honchos.

New artwork? The current artwork is only what, eight months old? Forget about new artwork, put that money into fixing the window seals or providing reliable internet...

:confused:

Tried to respond from the Business Center but, once again, the post does not show up. So, I'll post from the suite in a while.

Okay - trying again. Bill, you are so funny! The artwork is in addition to what is already up - nothing is being taken down. And, as I'm sure you know, the issue of air coming in through some sliding glass doors isn't about $$$ but rather expertise and parts (gaskets and seals). Had the issue been discovered while the ship was still in the Med., it would likely have been fixed by now. Our suite has four sliding glass doors and no issues whatsoever with air or whistling. Also, I am finding the internet connection just fine. It is a sea day - morning - lots of people online and no problems whatsoever.

FWIW, I'm guessing that at least 80% of the passengers have sailed on Regent before. The passengers seem a bit more elderly than on Med. or Alaska cruises. The dress code is definitely be adhered to by guests and would be enforced if this were not the case. I believe that there is only 1 toddler onboard. As usual, there are mostly people from North America onboard and I do hear a few accents. I should be like Mr. Rumor and post the nationalities and percentages but math isn't my thing.

I'd like to take a moment to type two paragraphs from Passages:

"Dress Code

Ladies: Skirts or slacks (no jeans) with blouses or sweaters, pant suits or dresses.

Gentlemen: Slacks (no jeans) and collared shirts. Sports jackets are optional."

"Deck Chairs - Poolside Etiquette"

Complimentary chaise lounges and extra large towels are provided for the use and enjoyment of all guests onboard and are available on a first come, first served basis. As a courtesy to your fellow guests, we kindly request that you refrain from the practice of reserving chaise lounges and day beds with personal items. Sun lounges cannot be reserved for longer than 30 minutes. If you are not present on the Pool Deck, Wait Staff and Deck Stewards will clear chaises and all day beds of any personal items to make them available for use by your fellow guests."

I am sending a few pictures to Zqueeze1 as he has been kind enough to offer to post any photos for me (not expecting to post many photos). One is of the how rough the swimming pool is..... another is a shot of empty chaise lounges with nothing on them (not even people). This was taken about 10:15 a.m. sunny morning and warmish. Another is of the deck above the pool deck (deck 12) where there are semi-covered areas (depending upon where the sun is). This does not exist on other ships.

Comments have been made about the group onboard - although we are part of this group (though do not hang out with them), I will not be posting about any events that took place other than to say that the lunch in Compass Rose was amazingly good. I prefer to keep private events private since most passengers onboard did not participate.

I've overheard several people commenting about the ship (Dennis thinks that I have "stealth hearing" -- I do tend to overhear lots of things). So far the comments I've heard are 100% positive.

ronrick1943: I know that you're booked in the Grand Suite for at least one cruise. I highly suggest that you give the Master Suite a try. While not as huge as the Master Suite on Oceania's Riviera or Marina, it is very well laid out and, IOO (in our opinion) is a huge improvement over the somewhat cramped living room in the Grand Suite.

That is all for now Fingers crossed that my whole post will show up.

Jackie - first of all Bon Voyage and have a wonderful crossing!

As far as I know there is no Master Suite on the Riviera. We have been in the Owner's Suite and in an Oceania Suite and the only other large-ish suite is the Vista Suite. Am I right or has my memory failed me?

We are booked in an Explorer Suite on the 2019 Panama Canal cruise - Suite 918 which has a nice wide balcony or at least it looks as though it does. If you have an idea as to how large this is compared to an Oceania Suite would you care to comment?? Thanks, Gerry

Sounds like things are getting off to a nice start..wish I was onboard! But I do have two take-aways that are mildly concerning.

1. You appear to be having trouble with a somewhat unreliable internet. I thought it was supposed to be strong throughout the ship. (It didn't work at all for us in November.)

2. So Regent didn't do anything to fix the door seals in Miami? Not clear why Europe has the market cornered on rubber door seal repair expertise, considering Florida is basically the center of the cruising universe. For months I've been hearing they were waiting to fix everything in Miami, now suddenly it's Europe. Huh? Then why didn't management do anything this fall before the crossing, when many folks on our November cruise were already reporting the problem? Are you sure they're being truthful?

Of course all this is relatively minor, at least if you're not in an affected stateroom. But now I wonder if there are passengers who were unaware of the problem who might have their cruise negatively impacted once again, from what now appears to be a never ending issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums