Select vs Early saver

boroshaz

We're seasoned cruisers and fancied trying PO for the first time this year on Britannia in August but confused on pricing. I know there are differences and we're not fussed about a booked stateroom or meal times but the prices are £1500 different. Even with the OBC it's doesn't add up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes there really is that much difference. You say that you're not fussed about your stateroom or dining time so no reason not to book the Saver fare and save your money. The only other difference is where P&O provide any port shuttle Saver fares must pay for it but Select fares get it free. The normal charge is

The £1500 must be for three people as the biggest difference I can see is Just over £500. Which is reduced by £125 OBC if you pay the select fare.

However I would agree £1000+ off for three is a better deal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just remember if you decide you're not worried about where your cabin is that you may get given one that hasn't been chosen by other passengers for all sorts of reasons, below one of the venues that has music until late, underneath the deck where chairs are moved about early in the morning etc. It may be that you are one of those people who don't spend much time in your cabin so are not bothered. We would always book select because we like to choose our cabin and we do spend a lot of time on the balcony so for us it's worth paying the extra, we also like to choose our dining sitting. If you book a Saver Fare I hope it works out well, many people do and have no problem.

We're seasoned cruisers and fancied trying PO for the first time this year on Britannia in August but confused on pricing. I know there are differences and we're not fussed about a booked stateroom or meal times but the prices are £1500 different. Even with the OBC it's doesn't add up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Be very careful booking a saver fare.

You will be stereotyped by some on here, as being a drunken, fighting lout :')

We usually book saver fare as the savings can be very significant even though you lose the benefits of select. If we are really keen on a particular cruise we will book select to secure that cruise. Cabins are not an issue for us as we book inside and spend minimum time in the cabin. On our recent cruise we were next to the launderette and under the footlights theatre and never heard anything to disturb our sleep.

Just remember if you decide you're not worried about where your cabin is that you may get given one that hasn't been chosen by other passengers for all sorts of reasons, below one of the venues that has music until late, underneath the deck where chairs are moved about early in the morning etc. It may be that you are one of those people who don't spend much time in your cabin so are not bothered. We would always book select because we like to choose our cabin and we do spend a lot of time on the balcony so for us it's worth paying the extra, we also like to choose our dining sitting. If you book a Saver Fare I hope it works out well, many people do and have no problem.
s

Thanks for the advice

We booked a Saver fare for our first cruise (of any description) on Britannia last November. We were delighted with the cabin we were allocated (F112) and also got our preference of Freedom dining. Now I don't know whether we were just lucky, or it was because we booked a while in advance (Feb 2016), but we did chat with a couple of people at the dinner table who ended up being "upgraded" to directly above the Live Lounge and said it was noisy, when they were rehearsing as well as in the evening... then I got chatting to a guy on the deck below who booked 3 weeks before departure and got a cracking cabin with a huge balcony.... So it seems to be a bit of a lottery... I guess we have taken the advice similar to someone posting above and for our next cruise have decided to go for Select and have chosen a cabin, and specified "no upgrade" ;-)