Two questions

brell

1. I know that I can use OBC for almost all my purchases onboard. Do I choose when to use OBC and when to put my purchases on my account or is the OBC always used up first?

2. Do I have to let the Britannia restaurant staff know when I want to done elsewhere?

1. I know that I can use OBC for almost all my purchases onboard. Do I choose when to use OBC and when to put my purchases on my account or is the OBC always used up first?

The OBC is always used used up first. Even loyalty discounts don't click in until the OBC is finished. It just appears as a credit on your statement.

2. Do I have to let the Britannia restaurant staff know when I want to done elsewhere?

No, but if dining at a table of four or more, it is good manners to let your table mates know in advance.

Stewart

No, but if dining at a table of four or more, it is good manners to let your table mates know in advance.

Stewart

But don't think you have to put yourself out running around looking for tablemates or waiters. You are on holiday, your time belongs to you and no one else. No one will think bad of you if you don't tell them you won't be there.

But don't think you have to put yourself out running around looking for tablemates or waiters. You are on holiday, your time belongs to you and no one else. No one will think bad of you if you don't tell them you won't be there.

But you may delay service for the rest of your table, there is no running around involved, just mention it the previous night if you decide in advance or call the dining room if it's last minute.

We've never experienced dinner being delayed if table mates don't show up in the evening. It's a common occurrence.

Perhaps your table mates had notified the staff ? I can only remember one occasion when we waited because on the other times somebody missed dinner, they let the staff know.

Perhaps your table mates had notified the staff ? I can only remember one occasion when we waited because on the other times somebody missed dinner, they let the staff know.

No. There have been numerous occasions tablemates have not turned up and had not notified the dining room. In fact it's only on here that I've learned that people ring to say they won't be attending dinner.

My goodness, this has always been the correct protocol & procedure among many of us seasoned 'Cunard guests'. it's all down to social graces. Hopefully one would consider doing this on any cruise line ( not only Cunard) when one is seated every evening on a large table with other guests.

It's good practise, and not only that, it makes sense to hold the table together for future evenings. It's only polite to mention to your table mates that you may not be joining them for dinner the next evening.

It takes all of about two minutes , either the evening before, or by phone if it is a last minute arrangement.

No. There have been numerous occasions tablemates have not turned up and had not notified the dining room. In fact it's only on here that I've learned that people ring to say they won't be attending dinner.

In that case, show them that you have 'Social Graces' ....that they may have not.

My goodness, this has always been the correct protocol & procedure among many of us seasoned 'Cunard guests'. it's all down to social graces. Hopefully one would consider doing this on any cruise line ( not only Cunard) when one is seated every evening on a large table with other guests.

It's good practise, and not only that, it makes sense to hold the table together for future evenings. It's only polite to mention to your table mates that you may not be joining them for dinner the next evening.

It takes all of about two minutes , either the evening before, or by phone if it is a last minute arrangement.

Hear hear Bell Boy.

Manners maketh man

Time for an anecdote.

My wife and I were sailing for 56 nights between Southampton and Sydney on Queen Mary 2 in the Queens Grill. We had chosen our favourite 'table for six' and were very happy with our table mates.

Just over half way through the voyage we really fancied a change and I had noted that a Maître d' who had previously looked after us in the Princess Grill was now Maître d' in the Britannia Restaurant: a great guy named Jamie Firth.

I approached Jamie on the possibility of us joining a table just for one evening to enjoy some different company. As one would expect there wasn't a problem and we could just 'pitch up' any evening for second sitting.

Yes, I informed our Queens Grill table companions that on a specific evening we would not be there and we duly joined a table for eight in the Britannia restaurant.

Needless to say we had hardly made headway into our starter when the Queens Grill Maître d' -the senior Maître d' on board-appeared behind me asking if everything was fine.

I was of course unaware of any protocol I should have followed by informing each and everyone on board. What I did deduce though was that there was a tremendous bond of loyalty between Maître d's.

If you know the day before. What about if you decide ten minutes before dinner time? As I said previously, I've never come across this before.

See previous suggestions, a quick call is all it takes.

But you may delay service for the rest of your table, there is no running around involved, just mention it the previous night if you decide in advance or call the dining room if it's last minute.

I do think it is only matters to let your table know that you will be missing and we always keep the waiter informed. We have been on tables waiting for other guest to turn up who went for cocktails every evening, turn up late smile and say sorry, very selfish.