Wine Recommendations?

megacruiser

We have found the house wines specially selected by Ollie Smith to be very nice and reasonable cost. They, in the past, have always been at the front of the wine list.

Thanks, and I have to agree with you there. Especially when comparing these to entry level wines on American ships. I enjoyed both Olly's original Sicilian red and the current offering.

However I am willing to pay a bit more to try something better. Just trying to ascertain any standout selections that are worth the extra cost.

For example, the Marqués De Riscal Rioja I find to be very nice but it only appears to be available by the bottle. Still not ruling that out.

Any red wines stand out on the current Wine List in terms of quality and value for money. All suggestions appreciated (bottles and by the glass).

Many thanks.

Sorry, as this is a P&O site, thought the OP omitted the "h". ;)

Billi Billi Shiraz

Have to agree with you on this, for most bars most bars but some of the glass house Shiraz's are very good if a little more expensive.

Of course I am always open to try more.

And willing to engage in some market research if someone would like to sponsor me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Velvet Devil is a beautifully smooth red from USA. £19.50 a bottle in MDR and worth every penny

Like that one as well.

Thanks, and I have to agree with you there. Especially when comparing these to entry level wines on American ships. I enjoyed both Olly's original Sicilian red and the current offering.

However I am willing to pay a bit more to try something better. Just trying to ascertain any standout selections that are worth the extra cost.

For example, the Marqués De Riscal Rioja I find to be very nice but it only appears to be available by the bottle. Still not ruling that out.

If you'll be drinking it in the MDR, then don't forget that if you don't manage to drink all of the bottle they are quite happy to keep it for you for the following night. I assume that the use a vacu-vin type gadget.

We have found the house wines specially selected by Ollie Smith to be very nice and reasonable cost. They, in the past, have always been at the front of the wine list.

Agree, decent value and very drinkable, I hope P&O still stocks the Ollie Smith vinos. In late 2015 on Aurora/Oriana I think they were 13 quid a bottle. One could also buy wine in small carafes.

Not new to cruising (Celebrity fan) but fairly new to P&O. Easter cruise on Azura soon and have purchased Commodore's Selection Wine Package. Can we bring unfinished bottles from MDR to bars after dinner, and can we use our vouchers for bottles of wine in bars or just in restaurants? Celebrity's drink package works in a different way.

Not new to cruising (Celebrity fan) but fairly new to P&O. Easter cruise on Azura soon and have purchased Commodore's Selection Wine Package. Can we bring unfinished bottles from MDR to bars after dinner, and can we use our vouchers for bottles of wine in bars or just in restaurants? Celebrity's drink package works in a different way.

You can take you wine with you or you can leave it for the next evening. I am fairly certain you only use the wine vouchers from the package in the MDR.

If you like wine you should certainly seek out the Glass House where there are a different set of wines to try. And of course you will have to try the wine flights.

You can take you wine with you or you can leave it for the next evening. I am fairly certain you only use the wine vouchers from the package in the MDR.

If you like wine you should certainly seek out the Glass House where there are a different set of wines to try. And of course you will have to try the wine flights.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, my husband and I drink only wine and love trying all the different offers. Will be sure to try The Glass House. Celebrity is great as the Premium Drinks Package allows almost any wine by the glass in any open venues. P&O will be different for us, but looking forward to it. All the lines have their own way of doing things. Any good whites?

Hi,on the Aurora the wine package didnt include my preference(french rose £16) so make sure your choice is available in the package.My cheapo wine worked out cheaper than the package anyway.On Princess with their wine package,I used to go in the MDR every night before dinner(I only drink water at dinner) and grab my wine and take it to the bar where they gladly gave me an ice bucket and glass.Hopefully PandO will be just as helpful,cheers,Brian.

We like the Chapel Down Bacchus. It is produced just up the road from us in Tenterden. We were quite surprised to travel to the Caribbean and drink wine produced 8 miles from our front door.

I was delighted to see it on the wine list on my Christmas cruise - I live on the Kent Coast not far from the other end of the Romney Marsh so I think of Chapel Down as a local winery. They retail it for £12.99 a bottle, so P&O's price is a comparative steal at £17.50 and a fair bit cheaper than Chapel Down's own restaurant's price.

Edited by kentchris