Christmas cruise?

SquishTheWhale

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with the pros and cons of a Christmas cruise. Looking at December 2018 and tossing up between an early December cruise and a Christmas one. There is a £250pp price difference (Christmas obviously being the more expensive one), but my fiance is self employed and having to take 5 less days off work would offset that amount and save us a couple of hundred pounds on top, as his work is closed anyway between Xmas and new years. Also I would have to take less holiday days which is a bonus.

However, I'm just wondering what a cruise at Christmas will be like. I'm guessing the negatives are it will be a very full ship with lots of kids, although we don't mind kids (we don't have any!). But I'm guessing that means less chance of an upgrade and a crowded ship. Will some of the ports also have a lot shut down over christmas even and boxing day? And how about the positives- is there any festive fun on and around xmas? Carol singing, christmas dinner, anything like that? Is Christmas itself (which falls on a sea day) a formal night?

Thanks for any help in advance- trying to work out what would be better for us!

We were on Arcadia's cruise to Scandiwegia over Christmas: adults only ship so no screaming kids, no washing up, carol singing, Midnight Mass (very moving as there was a theme of being far from home and so very applicable to the crew who were there in equal numbers to pax). Panto with ship's company (including the Capitaine), etc etc. Xmas day is formal, quite a change from all the Christmas pullovers which were much in evidence. Lots of sparkle and trees around the ship. We enjoyed it very much.

Thanks to Storm Barbara we missed our stop at Amsterdam so Zeebrugge was brought forward by a day, but that didn't matter. Public transport was running, the main shopping streets in Bruges were bustling as was the Christmas Market: Boxing Day isn't much of a public holiday in many countries as it is in the UK.

This Christmas we're going to the Canaries on QE, arriving home on the 23rd. The main con is the lack of time for food shopping before the 25th, although we'll have an online supermarket order set up and will be hoping everything arrives. The lesser con is that we'll be stuffed after 12 days of Cunard food so we might not want to eat when we get home...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we have gone at Christmas we have gone to the Canaries for a little heat. Christmas Day is always at sea. The festivities on the ship are always more than we would ever do at home so the Christmas atmosphere is there.

So you can expect

Mince pies,

Christmas cake

Full Christmas dinner.

Carols

Decorations

Trees

Crackers

Mid night mass

Christmas Day service

Queens speech

Santa coming down the funnel.

Presents

Mulled wine

Stollen

Staff in Santa hats

Panto

I am sure there are other things as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Oooooh actually that sounds super fun! Thank you for both replies :) It does sound more Christmassy than Christmas at home- last year we stayed at home just the two of us as I can't deal with the M1 on Christmas eve and my family all live 200 miles away lol. Bah humbug. Actually loving the idea of a Christmas cruise now! I bet visiting the Xmas markets on boxing day was great.

This thread has certainly whetted my appetite for a Xmas cruise..think I may seriously consider the Northern Europe one on the Aurora. I have to say I hadn't really considered a cruise before at this time of year but I think Xmas at home is becoming more and more of an expensive non event

Having said how wonderful they are and they are we have now decided that they are a bit expensive. We looked at the Ventura 14 night Christmas and New Year cruise and for less we could have a 25 night back to back on Ventura going to many of the same ports as the Christmas one for less money. As it happens we can't do that one but we are doing a 14 night cruise on Ventura to nearly all the same ports for half the rice in March. Of course it is easier for us being both retired and we have done 3 Christmas cruises before.

For SquishTheWhale, I would go for the Christmas cruise you will have a "whale" of a time.

:). :). :)

Having said how wonderful they are and they are we have now decided that they are a bit expensive. We looked at the Ventura 14 night Christmas and New Year cruise and for less we could have a 25 night back to back on Ventura going to many of the same ports as the Christmas one for less money. As it happens we can't do that one but we are doing a 14 night cruise on Ventura to nearly all the same ports for half the rice in March. Of course it is easier for us being both retired and we have done 3 Christmas cruises before.

For SquishTheWhale, I would go for the Christmas cruise you will have a "whale" of a time.

:). :). :)

Haha I will try and not come back the size of a whale! ;)

Not having kids we normally aim for the cheapest time of the year for holidays so I've not considered going away over xmas before- but now with my fiance working as a contractor he has so much time off unpaid over xmas and new years that it makes the price hike worth it! Although this is Azura we are looking at, for some reason Britannia has a much bigger price hike that would wipe out any savings we make.

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with the pros and cons of a Christmas cruise.

We did the 2015 Caribbean Christmas cruise on Britannia. I had reservations about whether I would like being away at Christmas. Whilst I don't go mad over Christmas like some people do, I do like time with family and friends. DH wanted to do it as it was our silver anniversary and we honeymooned in the Caribbean, so we said we'd try it. I had a wonderful time. I thought P&O made a very great effort to make it Christmassy and special.

Christmas Day and Boxing Day were at sea and Christmas Day was formal. All the ports were decorated for Christmas; I wondered if things would not be operating but everything was in full swing.

The ship was beautifully decorated, including a small decoration outside each cabin. A lot of pax take decs to put up on their cabin doors/inside the cabin. As daiB has said, all the things you would expect, such as Christmas dinner, mince pies, Christmas cake. P&O were particularly good with things for the children, such as Santa's grotto. Every cabin got a present of a P&O themed Monopoly set, which I know was derided by some but I thought was very nice and unexpected, plus teen son got a very good quality hoody and nice watch.

Particularly in view of the benefits to you and your fiancé re holiday time, I would say go and try it. Even if you decide being away at Christmas isn't for you, you'll still have a great Caribbean holiday.

Some of my favourite memories - tubing down a beautiful Jamaican river on Christmas Eve, walking round the botanical gardens in Tortola in blazing sunshine with the sound of Christmas carols drifting from a church across the way, dancing on deck under warm tropical skies on NYE.

We've done Xmas & new year cruises for the past 10 years. We've always done fly cruises to get some warmth.

DH also has to take the days between Xmas & new year as part of his leave entitlement, so we can get other holidays in during the year.

The ship is nicely dressed and Christmas Day is usually a formal night with Christmas dinner, along with formal night in New Years Eve. Children haven't caused any issues for us, and it's nice to see little ones enjoying Santa coming on Xmas eve.

I'd say give it a go at Xmas - after all a cruise is what you make it. I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience.

Happy cruising

Hi

Not sure if any one mentioned the Gingerbread house displays- you can smell it! We also got a small Xmas cake in our cabin. The Xmas decs are fabulous. We also took some decs for the cabin.The only negative was the actual Xmas dinner in the MDR. It was the worst meal of our trip.Some opted to eat in Sindhu or the other restaurants and I would probably do that if I ever did another Xmas cruise.

Whenever you go, I am sure you will have a great time

Cathy

Highly recommend a Christmas cruise! A fantastic experience. If we could do so, we'd do one every year.

We've only been on Aurora and Arcadia (at the moment!) and would recommend Arcadia as it's adult only and, to be honest, us adults seem to have more fun than the one with children on. We spent much longer with Santa on Christmas Eve than the kids ever did! Both cruises were around the northern areas and we loved it.

The gingerbread village was fantastic, and, we thought, slightly better on Arcadia. Arcadia's Piano Bar was stunning with the decorations up all the pillars and along all the handrails.

We also got the poem that starts 'It was the Night before Christmas' read out on Christmas Eve afternoon over the tannoy system - it really made it feel more christmasy - it that was possible!

The Christmas Day evening meal was ridiculous - soooo much food! We went in at 8:30pm and came out at 10:45pm! It was stunning! We then went to a bar and they started to bring round canape at 11:30pm!! I haven't felt so full in ages. :D

Go, you won't regret it. :)

I think the OPs opening paragraph that the price difference is offset by leave/work requirements answers this nicely. To cruise over Christmas which we associate with snow and cold yet it's warm and summery is a nice feeling. Sunning yourself on the deck on Christmas Day makes you appreciate it even more. The ship, staff, cuisine and entertainment are all ramped up to make it a very nice time.

Re your mention of kids, we've cruised P&O over Christmas and again over the new year and the kids are kept entertained and pretty much separate from the rest of the goings on however you cannot really have Christmas without ANY kids can you?

Just to add, an early December cruise will have no Christmas activities or decorations. For the price difference you mention...go for it.

I would mention the only drawback for us was not having Christmas Day dinner until 8.30. I wish they could have had two sittings at lunchtime to enjoy Christmas Dinner instead of sticking to the normal evening times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too today booked my first Christmas cruise always done land based at Christmas but decided to go for it. So it's Britannia who I have sailed on twice before to the Caribbean where I have never been before.

Excited already 😀

I think the OPs opening paragraph that the price difference is offset by leave/work requirements answers this nicely. To cruise over Christmas which we associate with snow and cold yet it's warm and summery is a nice feeling. Sunning yourself on the deck on Christmas Day makes you appreciate it even more. The ship, staff, cuisine and entertainment are all ramped up to make it a very nice time.

Re your mention of kids, we've cruised P&O over Christmas and again over the new year and the kids are kept entertained and pretty much separate from the rest of the goings on however you cannot really have Christmas without ANY kids can you?

Just to add, an early December cruise will have no Christmas activities or decorations. For the price difference you mention...go for it.

I would mention the only drawback for us was not having Christmas Day dinner until 8.30. I wish they could have had two sittings at lunchtime to enjoy Christmas Dinner instead of sticking to the normal evening times.

Do they just have 2 sittings for dinner on Christmas, even if you have freedom dining?

Talked to hubby-to-be and he worked out we save about £100 with him not having to take so many days off so he is on board with the Christmas cruise! After reading another thread that reccomends doing a ship visit in Southampton I think we might go see Azura and then if we like her we will book!

Yes they have 2 sittings even for freedom diners. Last Xmas day and NY Eve it was 5.30pm or 8pm. The year before it was 6.30pm or 8.30pm. So it could be anytime within those times this year!

We also received an email before the last cruise asking us to choose a time and table size - no two were offered but 4, 6 or 8. You stuck to the same time for both nights, although it was different table numbers last Xmas cruise.

Happy cruising [emoji568]

! After reading another thread that reccomends doing a ship visit in Southampton I think we might go see Azura and then if we like her we will book!

I don't think there will be an "if" in regards to liking Azura :cool: she's a beautiful ship,,my absolute favourite.

I'd really love to go on a Caribbean cruise at Xmas but my kids won't consider joining us and I just can't leave them at Xmas.,,but the very first time that both of them say they won't be at home cos they are going,,wherever,,I'll be across the Atlantic and first on board:cool:

I don't think there will be an "if" in regards to liking Azura :cool: she's a beautiful ship,,my absolute favourite.

I'd really love to go on a Caribbean cruise at Xmas but my kids won't consider joining us and I just can't leave them at Xmas.,,but the very first time that both of them say they won't be at home cos they are going,,wherever,,I'll be across the Atlantic and first on board:cool:

Oh I'm sure we will like her- we aren't fussy! Sounds like a good day out though and I read you get special deals if you book during a ship visit. Will need to do it after the wedding in June so hope there is still good availability on the xmas cruise then!

Yes they have 2 sittings even for freedom diners. Last Xmas day and NY Eve it was 5.30pm or 8pm. The year before it was 6.30pm or 8.30pm. So it could be anytime within those times this year!

We also received an email before the last cruise asking us to choose a time and table size - no two were offered but 4, 6 or 8. You stuck to the same time for both nights, although it was different table numbers last Xmas cruise.

Happy cruising [emoji568]

Thanks for the info! I don't normally like sharing tables but I'm sure I'll cope for one or two meals. I'd probably go for the early sitting though as we normally eat about 6.30. In fact we normally have our Christmas meal at lunchtime- so having it in the evening might feel a bit odd!

We prefer a table for two as well and were lucky that we were allocated this.

I did ring P&O when I got the email to check that the 5.30pm time wasn't a mis-print (being so early), and mentioned then that there was no option to request a table for two. I don't know whether this had any bearing on what we were given, but we were pleased.

If what you're allocated is not to your liking, you may be able to request a change when you board. When we boarded on other Xmas cruises - usually around 20th Dec - there was a notice in the room info / Patter giving a date and time where you could go and speak with the Maitre'd / Head Waiter in one of the restaurants. Last Xmas this didn't happen, but I guessed it was because we got there on 23rd and it was too close then to Christmas Day. If you would like to request a change there's no harm in asking when you get there.

May I also suggest if you want a two table on other evenings, when you get to dining room ask for a table not on the benches. These are quite close together and I tend to feel a bit hemmed in. They also don't leave much room for the waiters to serve the next table, as I discovered when the waiter knocked my full water glass all over the table with his behind! Just a thought.

Hope this info helps.

Thank you groovechick! It does sound really fun and slightly surreal to be cave tubing on Christmas eve! And is it sad I'm a little jealous of your P&O monopoly set?

Not at all, DH is a big Monopoly fan, so as we got two sets (one in our cabin and one in the kids'), we use one and the other is kept pristine. I'm sure you'd find one if you looked on eBay, apparently they were being put up for sale by Christmas Day afternoon and were commanding large sums from Monopoly/board game enthusiasts! :eek:

Azura ia a slightly smaller version of Britannia and a very nice ship indeed, she's my second fave after Aurora.

Is it true what a earlier member said about the early December cruises?

Are they not festive at all?

When I booked our December cruise a few months back it was advertised on the website as a "festive Cruise" I looked a yesterday and now it does not say that at all.......

That was one of the selling points for us.

I love Christmas time and I'm looking forward to being on a ship decorated ready for the holidays.

Will be so disappointed if it's not...:(

Also booked to extend the Christmas work shut down by 2 weeks as by the time we get back both our works will have shut for the year. :D Not back in till the new year :D

Is it true what a earlier member said about the early December cruises?

Are they not festive at all?

When I booked our December cruise a few months back it was advertised on the website as a "festive Cruise" I looked a yesterday and now it does not say that at all.......

That was one of the selling points for us.

I love Christmas time and I'm looking forward to being on a ship decorated ready for the holidays.

Will be so disappointed if it's not...:(

Also booked to extend the Christmas work shut down by 2 weeks as by the time we get back both our works will have shut for the year. :D Not back in till the new year :D

The ships are usually decorated at least one cruise before the Christmas cruise.

The ships are usually decorated at least one cruise before the Christmas cruise.

Our Ventura experience differed.

Our friends were on the cruise before us. We boarded on 17th Dec for two weeks. They started to decorate the ship on the changeover day. Our friends had been miffed that at the passenger choir on their cruise when someone suggested some carols they were told they couldn't as it wasn't the Christmas cruise. The day after we boarded the staff put their red hats on.

Now maybe this was because our Christmas cruise started quite early on 17th Dec and perhaps cruises that commence closer to Christmas might have a cruise before that one which is decorated.