QM2 behind the scenes tour

pollardtom

Hi,

Any tips on getting on the behind the scenes tour - its something we would really like to do. Do we need to be at reception when we board? or at 8am the next morning at the tour desk?

I've heard the tour desk isn't open till then, but its a transatlantic cruise so is the tour desk even open?

Thanks

Tom

Hi,

Any tips on getting on the behind the scenes tour - its something we would really like to do. Do we need to be at reception when we board? or at 8am the next morning at the tour desk?

I've heard the tour desk isn't open till then, but its a transatlantic cruise so is the tour desk even open?

Thanks

Tom

Cunard limit the behind scenes tour to 16 Guests. I believe now that These are picked by random, after you have registered your interest at The Tours office on board. The Tour is advertised in The Daily programme for Guests to Register. The Tour Desk is opened during Transatlantic's and times are in the Daily Programme. I would however suggest you visit the Tour Office first thing the following morning when it opens to register. Just incase I am incorrect about the picked by random bit now.

You may like to read this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2058095

This is Cunard's Answer

see

https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/ship_tour

and see what the Tour Entails

here

http://wearecunard.com/2012/11/cunards-behind-the-scenes-ship-tour/

If you fail to get selected, then there is usually a quick free visit around The Ships Galley, advertised in The Daily Programme towards the end of your crossing during one of the Mornings.

Edited by Pennbank

Cunard limit the behind scenes tour to 16 Guests. I believe now that These are picked by random, after you have registered your interest at The Tours office on board. The Tour is advertised in The Daily programme for Guests to Register. The Tour Desk is opened during Transatlantic's and times are in the Daily Programme. I would however suggest you visit the Tour Office first thing the following morning when it opens to register. Just incase I am incorrect about the picked by random bit now.

You may like to read this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2058095

This is Cunard's Answer

see

and see what the Tour Entails

here

http://wearecunard.com/2012/11/cunards-behind-the-scenes-ship-tour/

If you fail to get selected, then there is usually a quick free visit around The Ships Galley, advertised in The Daily Programme towards the end of your crossing during one of the Mornings.

I am completely wrong about Behind The Scenes Tour being advertised in The Daily Programme.

The Tours office usually opens 9-12noon on the First Sea Day. Suggest you get there well before opening.

enjoy.

Hi,

I did the behind the scenes tour during a QM2 crossing in November 2014. I started waiting at the Tour Office approximately an hour before it opened on the first sea day (I was the first person in line). There were many more people in line than could be accommodated on the tour. Of course, the procedure may have changed since then. I recommend going to the Purser's Office immediately after boarding the ship and asking about the current procedure for booking this tour.

I greatly enjoyed the tour (very interesting).

Chuck

And of course the viewing area behind the bridge, open during the day on most sea days. Access for anyone but no photos.

I was recently on QM2, Sydney - HK and heard a rumour that Queens Grill/Princess Grill pax got priority for 'behind the scenes tour. If that is correct, it is not fair to us in steerage in Britannia Class.:evilsmile:

I would recommend lining up at the tour desk at least 90 minutes prior to it's opening, in order to be at the top of the list for the behind the scenes tour.

The second time I did the tour, my tablemate from dinner and I arrived two hours early and we waited in the Grand Lobby chatting. Before we knew it, about 6 people had gotten in line ahead of us and we were the last two people from the tour desk list to get on the tour. I believe Grills class passengers may get on the list through the Grills Concierge, as only about the first 8 or nine people from the lobby got on the tour. I want to say that the total number of people allowed on the tour was only about 14 people. They do not immediately let you know that you are officially on the tour or not, you will receive a letter from the captain the following morning if you have made it on the tour.

I highly recommend the tour, as it was excellent both times I did it. It was particularly nice to be able to ask the captains and chief engineers questions. Both Captain Oprey and Captain Wells were nice enough to take the time to answer all the questions anyone in the group had. Captain Wells has quite the sense of humor and joked with one of the bridge cadets during our tour, as the cadet was getting more questions from the group than Wells was.

We did the tour in 2015. We registered with the Grill's Concierge (we were in QG) at the same time as others registered with the tour desk. There was no real line / queue in the lounge and this created a hit of confusion about who was "next." We were told that we were the last two Grills passengers who were allowed to sign up.

I agree with others: get in line early and the tour is well worth the money and time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And of course the viewing area behind the bridge, open during the day on most sea days. Access for anyone but no photos.

I was recently on QM2, Sydney - HK and heard a rumour that Queens Grill/Princess Grill pax got priority for 'behind the scenes tour. If that is correct, it is not fair to us in steerage in Britannia Class.:evilsmile:

I think that's a rumour. AussieFlyer and I did this tour in 2014. I lined up 40 minutes before first opening of the tour desk on the first sea day and there was already a queue.

I got the impression that there was some ratio of participants from across the ship. We were the last Grills passengers to get in but at least half our tour was not Grills. The concierge unofficially confirmed our position on the tour later in the day we signed up but it took a few more days for the official letter to arrive. The letter had the critical details on where and when to meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the tour last October. I got in line at the tour desk about 30-40 minutes before it opened. I was the second person in line. We were in a regular outside cabin, but I do have Commodore status. The tour was great! Wear rubber soled or sticky shoes - some of the floors were very slippery!

I think that's a rumour. AussieFlyer and I did this tour in 2014. I lined up 40 minutes before first opening of the tour desk on the first sea day and there was already a queue.

I doubt it is a rumour, read the posts on here, more than a few grills pax got on the tour, slip a bribe to the Queens Grill/Princess Grill Concierge, sorry, a tip and off you go on the tour. Another reason I won't travel Cunard again, class distinction, like Titanic.:evilsmile: Us and them, not the Aussie way.

Standby for incoming, flack jacket...on !!!

Please, what is the current charge for this tour?

Thanks,

Salacia

Not sure but on Aurora/Oriana 2 years ago it was 70 quid pp.:')

So I am guessing 99 quid on Cunard these days.

I doubt it is a rumour, read the posts on here, more than a few grills pax got on the tour, slip a bribe to the Queens Grill/Princess Grill Concierge, sorry, a tip and off you go on the tour. Another reason I won't travel Cunard again, class distinction, like Titanic.:evilsmile: Us and them, not the Aussie way.

Why when you travel overseas would you expect to have things 'the Aussie way'? And I'm not even sure what that means. It's no different from paying more money to fly business class. I've never understood that.

Yep, put on the flack jacket! Do you get annoyed that people who fly First or Business have their own lounges, better food etc etc? Of so, do you refuse to fly any airline that offers these? What about a line like Celebrity which has separate restaurants for Aqua and suite passengers? Do you refuse to sail on them? And Princess (which I think is your preferred line). Suites get perks. It's nothing to do with class distinction and it is somewhat disingenuous IMO to keep pushing this barrow. Nothing is stopping anyone paying the premium costs for the premium cabins. The idea of 'slipping a bribe' is frankly offensive.

As an Australian I would like to point out to this board that your views are not shared by me or by many other Australians.

Take umbrage if you wish.

It's now $120pp.

There are 16 places and the first 6 are held for Grills passengers.

Thanks for the information Ray. I had a feeling it was that when we did the tour in 2014. If so, it hasn't increased in price. It was excellent value. Reserving 6 for Grills is no issue for me. :)

Thanks for the information Ray. I had a feeling it was that when we did the tour in 2014. If so, it hasn't increased in price. It was excellent value. Reserving 6 for Grills is no issue for me. :)

I think that's fine. 10 places for those who line up first.

I did wonder if there was a security check done prior to offering a place as they don't guarantee a spot.

"class distinction ... Us and them, not the Aussie way"
Hi NSWP,

I recently paid for upgrades on a couple of flights; extra luggage allowance, separate boarding, champagne served before take off, wide leather seats, extra leg-room, meals served on china with metal cutlery, greater choices on the menus, after-meal drinks, extras etc.

The people in the large sections at the rear of the plane (where I usually sit when flying) got none of this.

If they had, there would have been very little point in me paying for something that which others got for free.

Not sure why some people accept this long-established convention on 'planes, but not on ships?

I am visiting Australia next year, and may go to the theatre one evening. Are all seat prices the same in Australia, or do some with better views of the stage cost more? If they are all the same price I am amazed anyone ever books seats in "the gods". Obviously I plan to eat at restaurants; can I dine out anywhere for the cost of a BigMac, or do some restaurants charge more for better cooking, food and service?

Unlike yourself, I will continue to sail with Cunard; so far all but one of my trips has been in standard Britannia grade.

Happy sailings with whichever line you choose for the future. However I know of none with identical pricing for all passengers regardless of the grade of cabin booked. They all seem to work on the "pay more; get more" principal.

Edited by pepperrn