Britannia Club Dining

zackdog

We are travelling Britania Club on a TA in August and are considering the seating/table arrangements.

We have heard that you are assigned a set table each evening however the time of dinner is individual. On a table of say eight does that mean guests arrive at differing times and are therefore at differing stages of dinner. I am not sure how I would like to be joining/be joined for dinner when guests are on differnt courses. Can anyone give us any guidance on this? Should we request a table for two? which I feel is a bit anti-social as we do like to meet other travellers and dinner is a great way to achieve this.

We are travelling Britania Club on a TA in August and are considering the seating/table arrangements.

We have heard that you are assigned a set table each evening however the time of dinner is individual. On a table of say eight does that mean guests arrive at differing times and are therefore at differing stages of dinner. I am not sure how I would like to be joining/be joined for dinner when guests are on differnt courses. Can anyone give us any guidance on this? Should we request a table for two? which I feel is a bit anti-social as we do like to meet other travellers and dinner is a great way to achieve this.

I think the general rule is if you want to please yourself when you eat, have a table for 2.

This to me is the best value! We were on a 14 night Panama/Caribbean cruise Feb 2008.

You can be flexible and just eat when ever you please. You may even plan your dinner so that you can see the show in the theatre twice, yes twice! Doug Cameron did an incredible show! I saw it twice so not much time for dinner. Then Doug was in the Pub the next night!

James Taylor will be in concert soon on the QM 2. Make sure that you plan dinner around the entertainment! We have cruised for 20+ years and the entertainment on Cunard is not to be missed!

We had a table for two! Then we met a lovely couple from Britain! Then we became a table for four! We kept our separate tables side by side. We did come a different times but it was never a problem!

The menu was a bit of a disappointment, but it is a very large ship and not a small gourmet specialty. You do not see the special gourmet foods that are on the high end type cruises. This ship does have 2,000+ on board

A table for eight next to us did have people coming ang going all through dinner, no problem, the people seemed to have a great time checking out each others stages of dinner!

We have solved the problem in the past by requesting a table for 6 (easier to coordinate than 8), and then arranging to meet for a drink with our tablemates before dinner. That way, once everyone is assembled and had their drink, we would all go in to dinner together. Part of the joy of a voyage is meeting your tablemates, and it would be a pity to miss out by having a table for 2.

• 7 years later...

Reviving this old thread as I cannot find more recent info about Britannia Club dining.

First - where is the restaurant for Britannia Club located? Cannot find that info on Cunard website.

Also, are there many tables for 2?

Would anyone have a recent dinner menu?

TIA

Reviving this old thread as I cannot find more recent info about Britannia Club dining.

First - where is the restaurant for Britannia Club located? Cannot find that info on Cunard website.

Also, are there many tables for 2?

Would anyone have a recent dinner menu?

TIA

Which ship ? The Britannia Club on QE is just before the Britannia Restaurant on Deck 2, it doesn't currently exist on QV but will be added at the May refit in the space where the Chart Room is.

I have been in Britannia Club once, there were plenty of tables for 2. We booked very late and still got one.

Which ship ? The Britannia Club on QE is just before the Britannia Restaurant on Deck 2, it doesn't currently exist on QV but will be added at the May refit in the space where the Chart Room is.

I have been in Britannia Club once, there were plenty of tables for 2. We booked very late and still got one.

Thank you Host Hattie. It's actually on the QM2.

Do you pre-book tables for 2 (based on your last sentence) or is it first come/first seated basis (it's open seating AFAIK).

Edited by Paulchili

You request table size in advance just as you would in the MDR. You are assigned to a table so you will have the same table and servers each night. It also means no waiting whatever time you choose to arrive - your table is always waiting just for you.

On the QM2 most of the tables in Brittania Club were for two. We requested a table for 6, met with our table mates the first night at various dining times, agreed to dine at 7 and enjoyed their company for the rest of the cruise. We enjoy dining with others; meeting new people, enjoying dinner conversation. We do not care to dine alone, as we do this most nights at home.

In as much as the menus in all of the various dining rooms are very close to being the same and one can order off menu in all the dining rooms I find the basic Britannia Dining Room the very best for meeting lots of new folks and still being able to dine as a group rather than stagger in and out at a large table. As to not being assigned the same table for all meals, even in Britannia, if you ask you can get seated for all meals at the same table in most all cases.

Why pay so much extra and not get very much in return?

You request table size in advance just as you would in the MDR. You are assigned to a table so you will have the same table and servers each night. It also means no waiting whatever time you choose to arrive - your table is always waiting just for you.

That sounds good.

It sounds like you make this request once you are onboard rather than ahead of time?

On some cruise lines - like Princess - you make the request for table size ahead of time on your booking form (just like requesting twin beds vs one king, for example).

Edited by Paulchili

Is Britannia Club an option for all or only those in specific categories of stateroom? We were only given set dining options from our TA but would prefer a flexible time.

No, only for those who book what is usually the much more expensive Britannia Club staterooms. As far as I am concerned, the only real advantage to Club is the flexible dining time.

Is Britannia Club an option for all or only those in specific categories of stateroom? We were only given set dining options from our TA but would prefer a flexible time.

Yes, Britannia Club dining room is restricted to those who book Britannia Club accommodations. The Grill categories also the same open dining options.

Alternatively, if you're not happy with your fixed dining time in the MDR, you can dine any time you want in the buffet, your cabin via room service and various other venues which carry a surcharge. Why not book a table for two in the MDR, and then explore the other dining venues?

Personally, we're happy with the MDR, although we did enjoy the Britannia Club dining room on one voyage. Funny thing, it seems wherever you go on Cunard ships, you meet the nicest people.

Cheers,

Salacia

That sounds good.

It sounds like you make this request once you are onboard rather than ahead of time?

On some cruise lines - like Princess - you make the request for table size ahead of time on your booking form (just like requesting twin beds vs one king, for example).

I made my request for a large table when I booked.

We enjoyed Britannia Club when we traveled that class. We had a table for 2 and met the very outgoing folks who were seated at the tables near us. We even had a dinner for 4 one night with one particularly simpatico couple. We noted that a nearby table for 6 had pretty much negotiated the arrival time for dinner so that all could dine together, although some nights that varied, which is the privilege of Britannia Club. Note that the menu for Britannia Club is the same as for Britannia class, with a few additions, and that the stateroom configurations are the same as for Britannia class with verandah.

Britannia Club is similar to the Grills in that the table assignment applies to all meals, not just dinner.

Although the Club menus are apparently the same as those in Britannia, there is an à la carte menu which, on my recent voyage, offered six starters, four main courses, a selection of vegetables and three desserts. Every night there was a flambéed dessert available.

As with the Grills, it is likely that not all people at a large table will turn up at the same time. Twice in Princess Grill all six and seven of us arrived within 10 minutes of each other at every meal, including breakfast. This is rare, and it is not unusual for a couple to be alone at breakfast and maybe lunch. We have not been bothered by this and if we were alone we have instead had conversations with people at nearby tables.

Even in Britannia, it is possible that all those assigned to a large table for dinner will not be present. On our last crossing in Britannia we had a table for six at the first sitting and one of the couples assigned to the table never showed up once.

I think the general rule is if you want to please yourself when you eat, have a table for 2.

We have traveled many times in the past and always requested a table for 2 and enjoyed the privacy. Also you can come and go at the leisure.

But we still have met and still keep in contact with many passengers which are now friends.

We too have heard stories of tables of 6, 8 that companionship just didn't workout and did alter the experience of the trip.

It is really your personal choice..You can still meet people on the side at the Queens Room, Showtime, Meet on Tours or leisurely time in a Lounge for a Cocktail...

"Britannia Club Restaurant.

Dine in your own restaurant, with the freedom to choose when you dine each evening. The Britannia Club Restaurant is part of the lavish Britannia Restaurant which is reminiscent of grand Cunarders of the past."

Unfortunately the assigned table is for only Evening Meals and not included for Breakfast and Lunch according to the Cunard Dining Room Website.

Yes, you can vary your arrival anytime during the evening for dining.

Other meals (Breakfast & Lunches) at your choice of either Britannia Main Dining Room, Kings Court, Pub etc.....

Dine in your own restaurant, with the freedom to choose when you dine each evening. The Britannia Club Restaurant is part of the lavish Britannia Restaurant which is reminiscent of grand Cunarders of the past."

Unfortunately the assigned table is for only Evening Meals and not included for Breakfast and Lunch according to the Cunard Dining Room Website.

Other meals (Breakfast & Lunches) at your choice of either Britannia Main Dining Room, Kings Court, Pub etc.....

:eek:

Has something recently changed? Last time we were in Britannia Club, our assigned table applied for all meals. Please advise - thank you. -S.

That's not my experience, I think that wording is just to show that you don't have to eat at fixed times in the evenings. It doesn't mean that the restaurant is only open in the evenings.

Thank you, H. Hattie. I certainly hope that is the case, otherwise Britannia Club has become less attractive, especially consider that there would be even less difference from Britannia Club to Britannia accommodations .

Open only in the evenings? The other interpretation might be that the BC dining areas are open for breakfast and lunch, but at any available table (not your dedicated table, which you can still claim at dinner).

I did note the difference in wording on Cunard's website that Brooklyn Boy pointed out, and I hope that was the result of poor editing by Cunard rather than a change of policy.

Edited by Salacia

Hopefully BklynBoy8 will be back to clarify.

I wondered if it was something introduced when the additional Club restaurant was added.

Roy's website has Daily Programmes from his crossing in November and they show that Britannia Club was open for breakfast and lunch.

In Britannia Club Dining the table a guest has been allocated is the same table for 'all meals' Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner. ( and with the same waiter for the entire voyage/cruise.)

I travel frequently in BC , nothing has changed.

:)

Edited by Bell Boy