Specialty Dining - Chops

We got the discount while walking on Boardwalk. One of their reps were giving coupons for 30% off. No restrictions on the size of your party.

This is different than the pre cruise deal.

the service, the atmosphere and the food IMO is worth the $30 bucks. even going to a longhorns here without all the sides would cost me $30 so i still think its a pretty good value..

as far as the steak, i guess i am very lucky as i have had some of the best filets ive ever eaten @ a chops.. and ive eaten at every major steakhouse in and around NYC as well and would probably say its somewhat comparable about 1/3 the price...

i think the food in the MDR is like a cafeteria so i try to avoid it as much as possible. not saying its bad but there was only a handful of dishes ive had (none i can remember) that i said ok that was very good id like to have that again... i also know its very difficult to cook for that many people at one time, but id rather go to johnny rockets than the MDR, lol

We are booked for Chops on Oasis of the seas. It looks nice and I am not sure about the new menu but from what I can see online it looked like an interesting choice.

I have the premium Drink package so I assume I can get water at Chops?? For the people that do like Chops, what should we order?

We all had the filet mignon on anthem last month and my father in law ( who knows his steak ) said it was among the best he had ever had. We were offered iced water or bottled whichever we preferred.

The red velvet cheesecake for dessert was very good also and I had the scallops for a starter which was also very good. For us the quality of the food and the surroundings made the experience worth the upcharge ( plus we had a discount for booking 3 or more speciality restaurants ) .

We aren't fond of the MDR food on RCCL ships so we almost always have dinner in a specialty restaurant.

The overall experience of Chops is worth it to us! :)

LuLu

Hear hear! I'm not a massive fan of the MDR experience on Royal, and that's not just the food; the service, presentation etc. all come into it.

I'm more than happy to pay the extra for Chops to get a better overall experience. Much more relaxed, much more attentive, and for that is definitely better.

For me, I think the steak is good, not great. But I am happy to pay the upcharge for the entire dining experience. I am not a fan of the MDR. To me, it's too big, too noisy, too industrial, too much like what it is- a giant banquet. I dine exclusively in specialty restaurants now because the entire dining experience is just more enjoyable to me.

On our next Allure cruise, we might eat in the MDR one night. We had such a bad experience with the MDR on Oasis that we aren't going to mess with the MDR on this cruise. It is equal to banquet food at best.

On the Oasis, our two top table was so close to the other two top that we could not hold a conversation without the other people commenting. Our waiter took our orders at the same time and when he brought the food, he mixed up the steaks. The lady at the other table started cutting the steak and had already eaten a carrot when the waiter said, "Oh, wait. That was for the other gentleman" and he proceeded to take the plate from the lady and give it to my husband! My husband refused the plate and said he would just take the other unused plate of food. The waiter insisted my husband take the plate and when he told him no, because she had already started eating off the plate, the waiter didn't seem to care. This was on the first night and the second night was no better so we did not return. Long story short....the MDR is not a place we wish to eat and we will gladly pay an upcharge for good food.

I try to avoid the MDR at all costs and will happily spend the extra money to dine in a specialty restaurant. The noise and amount of time spent in the MDR is torture. I've tried the old and the new menu in Chops and was happy with both. I also don't order steak because I like to try things I don't cook at home. $35pp is fine for us because we are on vacation. We booked the California Wine Experience on out LOS cruise and are looking forward to it!

Did Chops twice on the Allure along with the Italian Restaurant. We too are not thrilled with the MDR so we consider the expense of these restaurants as part of our cruise cost. We enjoy both the food and atmosphere.

We are doing a 10 day in a few weeks and are doing both Chops and Portofino's twice.

As the expression goes give 100 people a dollar and they will spend it a hundred different ways.

Barb

On our next Allure cruise, we might eat in the MDR one night. We had such a bad experience with the MDR on Oasis that we aren't going to mess with the MDR on this cruise. It is equal to banquet food at best.

On the Oasis, our two top table was so close to the other two top that we could not hold a conversation without the other people commenting. Our waiter took our orders at the same time and when he brought the food, he mixed up the steaks. The lady at the other table started cutting the steak and had already eaten a carrot when the waiter said, "Oh, wait. That was for the other gentleman" and he proceeded to take the plate from the lady and give it to my husband! My husband refused the plate and said he would just take the other unused plate of food. The waiter insisted my husband take the plate and when he told him no, because she had already started eating off the plate, the waiter didn't seem to care. This was on the first night and the second night was no better so we did not return. Long story short....the MDR is not a place we wish to eat and we will gladly pay an upcharge for good food.

Something similar to this happened to us on Quantum only the person at the other table did not take a bite. I called for the dinning room captain and he was all over it.

Bottom line is the two top tables are too close together, so close in fact they could almost pass for a four top, six top, etc. No joke. We enjoy the specialty restaurants, except for Chops, which we believe to be a rip off since the menu change.

Something similar to this happened to us on Quantum only the person at the other table did not take a bite. I called for the dinning room captain and he was all over it.

Bottom line is the two top tables are too close together, so close in fact they could almost pass for a four top, six top, etc. No joke. We enjoy the specialty restaurants, except for Chops, which we believe to be a rip off since the menu change.

When did the menu change, and what was it like before/after?

I'm intrigued. Are there now simply fewer options on the menu, or has the quality slipped too? I dined in Chops in September and found it to be worth the money compared to the MDR experience, but then the only other speciality venue on Splendour was Izumi which I didn't think compared well to land-based sushi restaurants at all (though I'll gladly try it again in September, as it might have been an off night).

I still love Chops personally. For our upcoming 7 night on the Jewel I have 2 Chops nights scheduled and looking forward to them immensely. The atmosphere alone is worth a booking to me and my wife. I still love the food as well although I know there are a number of detractors out there that will tell you it's anywhere from unpleasant to inedible. I don't agree with that, but that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. I'll take my perfect filet and football sized baked potato and be quite happy thank you very much! :D

Edited by BGCruiser85

I'm intrigued. Are there now simply fewer options on the menu, or has the quality slipped too? I dined in Chops in September and found it to be worth the money compared to the MDR experience, but then the only other speciality venue on Splendour was Izumi which I didn't think compared well to land-based sushi restaurants at all (though I'll gladly try it again in September, as it might have been an off night).

If you ate in Chops last Sept you may have had the new menu. There is not a drastic change. I stopped going because they discontinued my favorite sides and desserts, but you still get a good meal there.

If you ate in Chops last Sept you may have had the new menu. There is not a drastic change. I stopped going because they discontinued my favorite sides and desserts, but you still get a good meal there.

Fewer steak choices as well

We just returned from the Allure of the Seas. Specifically I am writing about Chops, one of the specialty dining options.

Its a steak house. While they do give you a nice steak (several types with lots of sides). But in my opinion is it not worth an extra $39 per person.

We got a 30% discount which they were offering if you sign up on the first day of the cruise, so it only cost $27 per person. For what you get the food is NOT $27 per person better than the main dining.

That isn't to say that its not better than the main dining if you like a good steak but its not worth that much of an added cost.

If it were an extra $10-$15, I'd say, fine. This is just my opinion.

Another annoying thing that adds more to the cost is that they give you an option of "still" water or "sparkling" water. Both cost $$, which I think is terrible. We were a party of 7 and went through 4 bottles of water, which added $16 to the bill. There was no option for the regular water you get in the main dining. More nickle and dining.

I will probably never go to Chops again.

Again this is my opinion.

My sentiments exactly. Especially highlighted in red.

Sad too because it use to be such a great dining experience :(

We got the discount while walking on Boardwalk. One of their reps were giving coupons for 30% off. No restrictions on the size of your party.

This is different than the pre cruise deal.

This to me indicates that the price of Chops has now crossed the threshold where it is reducing demand. I guess I don't blame them for trying, but I predict the cover charges will begin to come down as the venues are becoming harder and harder to fill.

9 years ago on the Mariner, the Chops cover charge was $25.00 and included porterhouse and lobster. The room was full for several seatings per night and we were lucky to get in on a cancellation (no booking on-line before departure in those days). Last fall on the Liberty that same meal cost the $30 cover charge and separate upcharges for both the premium steak and the lobster. Can't quite remember but I believe the total bill was over $60/pp. The restaurant was serving only 3 other tables when we went and there was an on-going "hard sell" for bookings in several different locations during the course of the cruise.

For our upcoming Radiance trip next month DH and I have received between us, 8 separate e-mails "inviting" us to book. No, at those prices I think we'll pass. If we were still talking about $25/pp, we might actually book twice.

Edited by ronandannette

The menu started to change when Navigator came out of her last dry dock. Menu is now fleet wide. Cost went up to $39.00 cover per person with less steak options, less sides, less sauces, plus the addition of what Royal calls a "Something Specal" steak for an addition on top of the cover of about $20.00. Also, the service has gone down hill with I believe to be less servers. An almost hectic experience. The food and service is nothing what it was prior to the menu change.

This to me indicates that the price of Chops has now crossed the threshold where it is reducing demand. I guess I don't blame them for trying, but I predict the cover charges will begin to come down as the venues are becoming harder and harder to fill.

9 years ago on the Mariner, the Chops cover charge was $25.00 and included porterhouse and lobster. The room was full for several seatings per night and we were lucky to get in on a cancellation (no booking on-line before departure in those days). Last fall on the Liberty that same meal cost the $30 cover charge and separate upcharges for both the premium steak and the lobster. Can't quite remember but I believe the total bill was over $60/pp. The restaurant was serving only 3 other tables when we went and there was an on-going "hard sell" for bookings in several different locations during the course of the cruise.

For our upcoming Radiance trip next month DH and I have received between us, 8 separate e-mails "inviting" us to book. No, at those prices I think we'll pass. If we were still talking about $25/pp, we might actually book twice.

There was a time when Royal did not offer a discount for Chops. I agree it appears they have reached the point of demishing returns on their pricing and quality and service reductions.

I guess I will jump in with my thoughts. We are not foodies, or high maintenance cruisers, or expect special care like a upscale steak house usually provides, so basic good service will make us happy.

With the BOGO, the price for TRYING Chops is reasonable. Some times they will let you book for a later day and some times not, depends on the ship.

Our opinion from our last few dinners in Chops, it is simply not worth it, maybe even with the BOGO. Food is always over cooked, especially the fish, and well the steak is usually, well OK, but not great. SERVICE in our opinion, has declined considerably, as with the MDR.

We have,over the years, enjoyed a few good evenings in Chops, but not on the last 4 cruises, matter of fact we feel the same way about most of the specialty restaurants, however we have not done all of the specialty restaurants, like Chefs table, or others.

Edited by north29

The menu started to change when Navigator came out of her last dry dock. Menu is now fleet wide. Cost went up to $39.00 cover per person with less steak options, less sides, less sauces, plus the addition of what Royal calls a "Something Specal" steak for an addition on top of the cover of about $20.00. Also, the service has gone down hill with I believe to be less servers. An almost hectic experience. The food and service is nothing what it was prior to the menu change.

It seems price depends on the ship. It can be $30, $35, or $39.

The upcharge steak is $21.

Loved our first Chops experience, it gradually get less and less special though.

First time we had them making the signature drink (I think it was a cucumber martini or something along those lines) at table side, chopping and mixing, etc., nowadays we feel lucky to get our water refilled.

Its not a bad experience for us but no longer anything special/worth paying for.

Loved our first Chops experience, it gradually get less and less special though.

First time we had them making the signature drink (I think it was a cucumber martini or something along those lines) at table side, chopping and mixing, etc., nowadays we feel lucky to get our water refilled.

Its not a bad experience for us but no longer anything special/worth paying for.

I made a cucumber martini on Rising Tide. So good, never would have expected that