Difficulty Staying Loyal to Royal

I really have enjoyed Royal and love cruising. Our 4th Royal cruise is this month, and I have another tentatively booked for 2017. This upcoming cruise was booked with KSF, which made it very affordable for 4 people.

I don't feel like dealing with Thanksgiving this year and would love to cruise that week. I look at Royal and either a) I've done the ship and/or ports already and want something different or 2) It's too expensive. I look at Carnival and Norwegian for comparable dates, and the prices are much more reasonable for 3 people. Yes, you could say that Royal is a better brand, but then I look at Celebrity and those cruises are even more reasonable!

I really love Royal and would love to at least reach platinum before jumping ship, but am finding it difficult to find anything lately that is reasonably priced. Any thoughts or insights? To you more experienced cruisers: is it worth it?

Edited by roseshayit

Don't spend money you don't have.. ie buy what you can afford. All cruiselines offer a reasonable alternative... if you can afford one and not the other do the one you can afford. Holiday cruises tend to be expensive because people have the time off. when people can't cruise, because their kids are in school, that is when cruises become a value.

jc

Only you can decide what you can afford.

Sometimes it is not a matter of what you can afford but a matter of perceived value. I looked at several RCCL cruises today and thought the pricing was insane. Especially for solo cruisers like myself. The crazy inflated prices of the bogoho drastically increase our costs as we end paying 150% of the inflated price rather than normal price.

Sometimes it is not a matter of what you can afford but a matter of perceived value. I looked at several RCCL cruises today and thought the pricing was insane. Especially for solo cruisers like myself. The crazy inflated prices of the bogoho drastically increase our costs as we end paying 150% of the inflated price rather than normal price.

Thank you for articulating my point better than I did. My question is indeed about the perceived value. I am not addressing whether or not I can afford a cruise, but whether it's worth the price asked. My experience is mostly with Royal, so I don't know how other cruise lines compare.

Royal would be my first choice when it comes to cruising, but if I can go on a different cruise line at a cheaper rate I have no trouble switching, especially if it has different port options.

I always consider a ship my moving hotel and as long as it's clean I can deal with it and I have yet to starve on any cruise.

Just a heads up if you are on a the fence and cruising before the end of December, rumor has it that NCL is offering the free unlimited beverage package (Yes alcohol) for free (just pay service charge of $68 or something to that effect) even on inside cabins. When booking look at the part where you can choose between bonus codes. You should see one for the UBP.

We have been on many cruises over the years and have never had a bad cruise. RCCL, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, Princess are more similar than not especially for adults. Not sure about programs or shows for children. If you are looking for a Thanksgiving cruise in addition to your other cruises, any of the lines will be nice. You never know until you try another line.

We just got back from the NCL Getaway and it was really nice, not perfect but really nice.

I looked for something for early December out of Houston/Galveston or even NOLA -no flying.

Royal and NCL had similar prices with Royal a little higher at that time (last April).

Even tho' we'd turned "Diamond" on our previous RCL cruise we opted for NCL Jade out of Houston.

Why? Felt like a change plus NCL threw in a drink package :)

So we'll see how that goes, looking forward to it.

Edited by pspercy

Just a heads up if you are on a the fence and cruising before the end of December, rumor has it that NCL is offering the free unlimited beverage package (Yes alcohol) for free (just pay service charge of $68 or something to that effect) even on inside cabins. When booking look at the part where you can choose between bonus codes. You should see one for the UBP.

Not a rumor, but the free UBP is not available for insides, just OVs and higher. However, for 3 people, NCL is much less than RCI (any category) because their promotion is allowing the 3rd & 4th guest for free - just pay the port fees and taxes.

I have been comparing the Getaway price for 3 pax versus Oasis in Sept and the price difference is substantial, even though the Oasis is reasonably priced on a pp basis with 2 pax in the cabin. The price pp sky rockets when looking for a cabin that will accommodate 3, not so on the Getaway.

The NCL promo does offer free soda package or free internet minutes or OBC (for specialty dining/excursions) for inside rooms.

We have been on the Getaway earlier this year and it was a great cruising experience.

Edited by Tagsalong

Not a rumor, but the free UBP is not available for insides, just OVs and higher. However, for 3 people, NCL is much less than RCI (any category) because their promotion is allowing the 3rd & 4th guest for free - just pay the port fees and taxes.

I have been comparing the Getaway price for 3 pax versus Oasis in Sept and the price difference is substantial, even though the Oasis is reasonably priced on a pp basis with 2 pax in the cabin. The price pp sky rockets when looking for a cabin that will accommodate 3, not so on the Getaway.

The NCL promo does offer free soda package or free internet minutes or OBC (for specialty dining/excursions) for inside rooms.

We have been on the Getaway earlier this year and it was a great cruising experience.

Actually, for cruises sailing before 12-22-15, NCL is offering the UBP for insides. Just added it to my son's cabin.

Thank you for articulating my point better than I did. My question is indeed about the perceived value. I am not addressing whether or not I can afford a cruise, but whether it's worth the price asked. My experience is mostly with Royal, so I don't know how other cruise lines compare.

I think what you need to do is ask yourself are you cruising for points and levels or are you cruising because its something you really enjoy, it does not sound like the latter.

I really love Royal and would love to at least reach platinum before jumping ship, but am finding it difficult to find anything lately that is reasonably priced. Any thoughts or insights? To you more experienced cruisers: is it worth it?

We hit platinum last year, and continue to book with RCI.

As for prices...we booked 2 months ago for next Spring on a Southern Caribbean cruise for $699 per person in a nice Balcony cabin on Adventure of the Seas. That's 1/2 of "regular" prices, partially from the Platinum balcony cabin discount and partially because of a sale price.

Deals can be found. What we have noticed is that booking well in advance seems to be one way to get a very low price. We often book about a year in advance, and get some amazing prices. On our recent Mediterranean cruise, our great hump balcony (D1) cabin was literally 1/2 the "regular" price.

It does seem to take a bit more work to plan and get lower prices on cruises..but they can be found.

Obviously, if you're questioning the price, you don't truly feel the experience is worth it..especially since you've been on RCI multiple times....so you know what you're getting.

Nothing wrong with trying something else!

Actually, for cruises sailing before 12-22-15, NCL is offering the UBP for insides. Just added it to my son's cabin.

Yes, you're right! Last week our Sept 5 was soda package for inside, today I'm seeing the UBP or the UDP available for insides, and at $469 pp on some TA sites. I think the September Fire Sales have finally begun.

However, their web site still says the following re the promotion, and this is the copy & paste:

"Book an Oceanview room or higher and choose from four great offers: Ultimate Beverage Package, Ultimate Dining Package, WiFi Package, or a Shore Excursion Credit. Best of all, book a Suite or The Haven and get all four offers for FREE! Plus, Friends & Family in the same stateroom sail free on select sailings."

Edited by Tagsalong

OP, if you tell us what it is that really makes or breaks a cruise for you people here who have experience with multiple cruise lines will be able to better tell you if you will enjoy cruising with another line. We all cruise for different reasons and find different things important to us. If the things that are important to you are just as available on other cruise lines you may be unneccessarily commiting yourself to one line and possibly spending more money than you need to be in order that have a great vacation.

On the other hand, if I could not find what I enjoy on another cruise line I'd rather spend a bit more money for something that I want rather than spend money on something that I am not going to enjoy. As for myself, there are RCI ships that I prefer not to cruise on because the amenities on certain classes of their ships really contribute to my experience. I would not pick a ship that I would not enjoy as much just to save some money.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Yes, you could say that Royal is a better brand, but then I look at Celebrity and those cruises are even more reasonable!

This.

Try Celebrity! Their prices are more reasonable than Royal right now, and I think they offer a better experience than Royal overall.

Staying with one line just to move up the loyalty tier is the 'trap' another poster mentioned.

I agree with the idea of value, not cost. I too am a solo and RCI is often not a good value. I find the best way to decide on value of a cruise is to look at the per day cost for a particular itinerary or ship. It's not much value to me to go on an older ship to Bahamas, so anything over $100 a day is not worth doing. But a mid range ship doing a unique itinerary might have a value of $250/day for me. An Alaska cruise tour might be a value at $300/day. I have sailed Carnival out of PC on 4 day cruise to Bahamas because RCI wanted $275/day for an inside cabin on an old ship, Carnival offered an outside cabin on a comparable ship for $95/day. And I discovered Carnival is not as bad as some RCI loyalists make it out to be :-).

I really have enjoyed Royal and love cruising. Our 4th Royal cruise is this month, and I have another tentatively booked for 2017. This upcoming cruise was booked with KSF, which made it very affordable for 4 people.

I don't feel like dealing with Thanksgiving this year and would love to cruise that week. I look at Royal and either a) I've done the ship and/or ports already and want something different or 2) It's too expensive. I look at Carnival and Norwegian for comparable dates, and the prices are much more reasonable for 3 people. Yes, you could say that Royal is a better brand, but then I look at Celebrity and those cruises are even more reasonable!

My experience- we had to wait until last minute (within a couple months) to book cruise. Celebrity's price was better than Royals. (My family has no desire to try Carnival or Norwegian, they have such great past experiences) The ships were not comparable (no putt putt, Rock wall on celebrity) going to the same port but again, price was better on Celebrity. I have always heard Celebrity is a step above..... We booked Celebrity. It was an enjoyable and relaxing cruise but not the cruise experience that I had hoped for the teens with us. So we are back to Royal for now but I am keeping a watch on the bigger Norwegian ships too.

I'm still new to cruising, but to me the loyalty benefits offered by cruise lines are pretty insignificant. I'd rather try different lines, ships, etc. Our first cruise was on NCL, and currently have DCL and RCI trips booked for the future. I'm also planning on sailing Carnival at some point. I'll sail whomever has what I feel is the best trip/ship for our family regardless of line.

Edited by Winston Wolf

"Loyalty"? We are Diamond Plus, have a number of cruises booked on RC - but also have a cruise booked on Holland now. If you get value and enjoyment from gaining points and perks in the C&A levels as you cruise that is a plus and should not be ignored, but it is not so much a reflection of your "loyalty" as a reflection of just how brilliant the RC marketing people have been with creating feelings of loyalty to a huge billion dollar company. I am "loyal" to RC in the sense that I often look first at RC because we know the product, know people on the ships, love our perks, and are very comfortable with the product - but my "loyalty" is only as good as what is available for what I want for each cruise.

If you've been on multiple cruise lines and concluded that Royal is your brand, then thats an informed choice. however, if you are loyal without experiencing what other lines have to offer, than you are depriving yourself of a world of experiences.

Each cruise line prioritizes things differently and have the potential to wow you, but you may never know if you only stick to one name. You never know unless you experience it for yourself.