Radiance of the Seas to Alaska,

First time on RCI. First time to Alaska. Any suggestions. Pros/cons? I've only been on a norweign cruise.

Just off on the 19th. Great trip and itinerary. Planning to post compasses and review shortly. I was southbound, which I recommend.

Must do:

1. Train from Anchorage to Seward.

2. Get to Seward the day before and do the National Park Tour with Kenai Fjords.

3. Whale watching on Icy Straight Point.

4. Dinner at Giovanni's and Samba Grill. Reduced to $20 on board.

5. Biking in Vancouver.

Ask specifics and I'll be glad to answer.

Are you able to use your US cell phones on board once out of Vancouver?

Yes, the ship has cellphone service once it is out to sea and away from land cell towers. However, the ship's service is not included in your domestic US plan. You need to contact your carrier to find out your charges while on a cruise ship. For example, AT&T charges $2.49 per minute for voice calls and $0.50 per text sent.

Edited by clarea

Thanks so much for the info. Guess my iPad cellular data plan won't work either.

We are doing the northbound with 3 night post cruise tour. The last day includes a glass dome train ride from Talkeetna to Anchorage.

Does anyone know what time we will arrive at the hotel? I kinda want to fly back that same night/early AM. Is it doable?

Edited by Chari910

Thanks so much for the info. Guess my iPad cellular data plan won't work either.

It will work, and give you a huge bill, unless you get some sort of plan from your carrier.

Just off on the 19th. Great trip and itinerary. Planning to post compasses and review shortly. I was southbound, which I recommend.

Must do:

1. Train from Anchorage to Seward.

2. Get to Seward the day before and do the National Park Tour with Kenai Fjords.

3. Whale watching on Icy Straight Point.

4. Dinner at Giovanni's and Samba Grill. Reduced to $20 on board.

5. Biking in Vancouver.

Ask specifics and I'll be glad to answer.

Thank you! I would love to see your compasses and any pictures. Was the water rocky at all? We are on the 9th deck near the front.

Yes, the ship has cellphone service once it is out to sea and away from land cell towers. However, the ship's service is not included in your domestic US plan. You need to contact your carrier to find out your charges while on a cruise ship. For example, AT&T charges $2.49 per minute for voice calls and $0.50 per text sent.

Once you get into Alaskan waters you may have coverage from your carrier even while cruising. I've got ATT and coverage at ports was great but surprisingly I found I was on ATT's network quite often even while cruising.

Hi there-

I have a pretty beefy review from a 2012 Northbound in my signature line. Actually just off the same itinerary last weekend and the experience was just as wonderful.

Say hi to Rebecca at the Champagne Bar!

Once you get into Alaskan waters you may have coverage from your carrier even while cruising. I've got ATT and coverage at ports was great but surprisingly I found I was on ATT's network quite often even while cruising.

I found the same thing. The Inside Passage has some cell towers we were able to use.

I was on the Radiance last year... Here are my must-do's:

1) Whale watching - First Choice: Icy Strait (I recommend Hoonah Travel Adventures); Second Choice: Juneau

2) Excursion in to the Yukon from Skagway, either by bus or train. I recommend Frontier Excursions.

3) A pre- or post-night in Vancouver

4) Train from Seward to Anchorage (or reverse depending on whether you are on a NB or SB cruise)

5) Go the forward top decks to view your approach to Hubbard Glacier. If your cruise is a NB, yes, it will be early, but it is worth it.

6) Wake up early to see your approaches to all the ports. This might not interest you, but I loved doing it.

Regarding the ship...

7) Don't miss the 70's Party in the Centrum

8) I enjoyed the Main Dining Room and thought the food was very good, but I also thought Izumi was great.

9) On our cruise, after our visit to Hubbard Glacier, there was a pool side BBQ and an ice craving demonstration using ice picked up from the water near the Glacier. It was a fun experience. The officers and captain also did a belly flop contest in the pool. Not sure if they are still doing this.

That's all I can think of right now... If you have any questions, ask away! :)

We stayed at the Westin Vancouver Bayshore. Great location walking distance to Stanley Park and a number of great restaurants on the water.

We used Spokes bicycle rentals which was only 2 blocks from the hotel. DIY biking is quite easy and they give you a great trail map with information. There are a number of structure tours with good reviews but we wanted a more casual experience.

Our kids are 9 and 10 so we opted for tandem bikes but they have bikes of all shapes and sizes...

I was on the Radiance last year... Here are my must-do's:

1) Whale watching - First Choice: Icy Strait (I recommend Hoonah Travel Adventures); Second Choice: Juneau

2) Excursion in to the Yukon from Skagway, either by bus or train. I recommend Frontier Excursions.

3) A pre- or post-night in Vancouver

4) Train from Seward to Anchorage (or reverse depending on whether you are on a NB or SB cruise)

5) Go the forward top decks to view your approach to Hubbard Glacier. If your cruise is a NB, yes, it will be early, but it is worth it.

6) Wake up early to see your approaches to all the ports. This might not interest you, but I loved doing it.

Regarding the ship...

7) Don't miss the 70's Party in the Centrum

8) I enjoyed the Main Dining Room and thought the food was very good, but I also thought Izumi was great.

9) On our cruise, after our visit to Hubbard Glacier, there was a pool side BBQ and an ice craving demonstration using ice picked up from the water near the Glacier. It was a fun experience. The officers and captain also did a belly flop contest in the pool. Not sure if they are still doing this.

That's all I can think of right now... If you have any questions, ask away! :)

Question: Since the term can mean so many things, was the "BBQ" a cookout with hamburgers and hot dogs, a meal of pulled pork, beef and ribs with ketchupy sauce, or a salmon bake?

Question: Since the term can mean so many things, was the "BBQ" a cookout with hamburgers and hot dogs, a meal of pulled pork, beef and ribs with ketchupy sauce, or a salmon bake?

It was a hamburgers/hotdogs/ribs/corn/etc kind of BBQ. :)

However, as I said earlier, I'm not sure if they still do this...Maybe someone who's been on Radiance this year can let us know.

However, as I said earlier, I'm not sure if they still do this...Maybe someone who's been on Radiance this year can let us know.

No BBQ during my trip in June.

It will work in all of the ports and until you're out of range on the ship. Once it changes over to "Cellular at Sea," go into airplane mode. You aren't out of range for all that many waking hours.:)

They were supposed to have one on the last day of our NB cruise in June, but the weather didn't cooperate.

I just booked the southbound cruise on this ship for August 28th and can't wait!

Question--I had read that you check-in at the Marriott in Anchorage. Is that true, or do you check-in at the pier in Seward? What are the times check-in is open? I'm confused about this.

Thank you!

Thanks. That's what I have always called a cookout. Barbeque/barbecue is a type of food to me. :) But I know I'm weird as most people think if it's on a grill it's a barbeque.

We were due to have one but it was on the day the ship nearly tipped over so it was cancelled!

I just booked the southbound cruise on this ship for August 28th and can't wait!

Question--I had read that you check-in at the Marriott in Anchorage. Is that true, or do you check-in at the pier in Seward? What are the times check-in is open? I'm confused about this.

Thank you!

The only way you would be checking in at the Marriott is if you purchased transfers, and they really just check your luggage. Everyone needs to check in in Seward.