Specialty Dining - Chops

We just returned from the Allure of the Seas. Specifically I am writing about Chops, one of the specialty dining options.

Its a steak house. While they do give you a nice steak (several types with lots of sides). But in my opinion is it not worth an extra $39 per person.

We got a 30% discount which they were offering if you sign up on the first day of the cruise, so it only cost $27 per person. For what you get the food is NOT $27 per person better than the main dining.

That isn't to say that its not better than the main dining if you like a good steak but its not worth that much of an added cost.

If it were an extra $10-$15, I'd say, fine. This is just my opinion.

Another annoying thing that adds more to the cost is that they give you an option of "still" water or "sparkling" water. Both cost $$, which I think is terrible. We were a party of 7 and went through 4 bottles of water, which added $16 to the bill. There was no option for the regular water you get in the main dining. More nickle and dining.

I will probably never go to Chops again.

Again this is my opinion.

...Another annoying thing that adds more to the cost is that they give you an option of "still" water or "sparkling" water. Both cost $$, which I think is terrible.....

We have also been offered the extra cost bottled water at specialty restaurants, however all we had to do is say we wanted tap water and it was no problem for them to provide it.

Edited by clarea

We have also been offered the extra cost bottled water at specialty restaurants, however all we had to do is say we wanted tap water and it was no problem for them to provide it.

Same with us. That is what we get every time we do specialty restaurants! :cool:

And if you have a drinks package which includes bottles of water, you can just ask them to bring the small bottles.... On our last visit to Chops, (on Allure, last month) the waiter just kept bringing us small bottles when we had finished with the previous one and of course glasses of wine on the package too!

They really should have offered all three water options in that case. Its just another way to "up-charge" you. The guest shouldn't have to ask for that.

I was just so turned off by the whole experience especially what you get for the added cost. Is that steak really worth $27 (or $39) more than the main dining room? On past cruises I'm sure the specialty dining was much less money. So it was worth going to a couple of the nights. Not anymore and we've been on LOTS of cruises.

They really should have offered all three water options in that case. Its just another way to "up-charge" you. The guest shouldn't have to ask for that.

I was just so turned off by the whole experience especially what you get for the added cost. Is that steak really worth $27 (or $39) more than the main dining room? On past cruises I'm sure the specialty dining was much less money. So it was worth going to a couple of the nights. Not anymore and we've been on LOTS of cruises.

I certainly share your opinion that the food in Chops is not worth the price anymore.

I just do not think the food is that good in Chops, many other cruise lines have better steak restaurants for same amount of money, also dislike that there are no table cloths in any of specialty but they are in MDR? We eat 3 or more dinners in specialty in a 7 day cruise, we really liked some of the others. Many restaurants will offer specialty water but you should have been offered regular water also.

Always interesting to hear other's experiences. Thanks for sharing!

For me, I think the steak is good, not great. But I am happy to pay the upcharge for the entire dining experience. I am not a fan of the MDR. To me, it's too big, too noisy, too industrial, too much like what it is- a giant banquet. I dine exclusively in specialty restaurants now because the entire dining experience is just more enjoyable to me.

I was a regular in Chops prior to the menu change. To me the menu changes were terrible. I have only been in Chops twice since they gutted the menu, I used to be in there twice every cruise. I prefer Sabor now.

Just say, "Ice water is fine, thank you"...no charge for that!

My main point is the price. I can't believe people go there at all. In my mind how could anyone justify spending $39 extra for that food?

I could see that if you didn't have the option of eating in the main dining room which is "free" and already paid for since you're on the ship. That meal has to have some perceived value to you. There is no way what you get in Chops is $39 better.

Its one of those things that we tried once. We sailed on other lines recently (Princess, Celebrity, HAL, etc.). We hadn't been on RCCL in a few years.

Anyway, when/if we sail on RCCL again, we won't go to Chops unless they change their pricing.

While I think that Chops is fine, I love to cook and can make a good steak myself at home any time. That's why we'll opt for 150 Central Park or Chef's Table. Their offerings are typically items which I would not normally prepare myself at home.

My main point is the price. I can't believe people go there at all. In my mind how could anyone justify spending $39 extra for that food?

I could see that if you didn't have the option of eating in the main dining room which is "free" and already paid for since you're on the ship. That meal has to have some perceived value to you. There is no way what you get in Chops is $39 better.

Its one of those things that we tried once. We sailed on other lines recently (Princess, Celebrity, HAL, etc.). We hadn't been on RCCL in a few years.

Anyway, when/if we sail on RCCL again, we won't go to Chops unless they change their pricing.

In other peoples mind (as you refer to it) they might not look at it the same way that you do. They may go there for other reasons than thinking that spending $39 in Chops is worth it or not than eating in the MDR. It's not a matter of having free food on the ship already paid for as with the MDR. Everybody is different and do things like they want to do it........Aren't you glad that we are not all the same and think the same way! :cool:

I get that it isn't worth it "to you". But I tried to give an explanation about why I don't think twice about doing it. For me, it's not just about the food. To each his own is what I say. But it seems you don't want to hear that...:confused:

We are planning to treat my parents to Chops and I was wondering if the discount offer was 30% off if you were purchasing more than one specialty dining experience, or based on how many people you were buying for? I guess I just want to know what the terms/conditions were to get the discount. :)

We are planning to treat my parents to Chops and I was wondering if the discount offer was 30% off if you were purchasing more than one specialty dining experience, or based on how many people you were buying for? I guess I just want to know what the terms/conditions were to get the discount. :)

Here are the dining package terms:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/dining_discount_packages.pdf

We aren't fond of the MDR food on RCCL ships so we almost always have dinner in a specialty restaurant.

The overall experience of Chops is worth it to us! :)

LuLu

I agree LuLu, we are fans of Chops as we haven't been to the MDR for many cruises.....

We are booked for Chops on Oasis of the seas. It looks nice and I am not sure about the new menu but from what I can see online it looked like an interesting choice.

I have the premium Drink package so I assume I can get water at Chops?? For the people that do like Chops, what should we order?

We are booked for Chops on Oasis of the seas. It looks nice and I am not sure about the new menu but from what I can see online it looked like an interesting choice.

I have the premium Drink package so I assume I can get water at Chops?? For the people that do like Chops, what should we order?

The Premium package includes bottled still water at bars and restaurants.

I have only been to Chops twice and that was on the same ship/cruise. However, I thought Chops was great. I also declined the "premium" sparkling water when it was offered because I knew there would be a cost associated with it just based on how it is offered.

Whether is it as good value or not is merely an opinion and people are going to disagree.

I never ate in the MDR on my last cruise and didn't feel as if I paid for some food and didn't get it by not going. I didn't use the mini-golf either and didn't feel as if I needed to because I paid for it as part of my cruise fare. :)

Personally, I think Chops is a more personal and nicer dining experience than some other places on the ship and I like the food there too.

Bottom line: Ignore everyone's advice (including my own) on Chops and decide for yourself :)

Agreed. When the specialty dining craze first started (thank you SO much NCL) the cruise lines charged a "modest fee" for the option of dining somewhere other than the MDR. Now the cost has become prohibitively expensive for what you get, IMO. It has long surpassed what it was originally created for and has become a full priced meal at a price I would pay at a moderately priced restaurant on land.

• Haha 1

Agreed. When the specialty dining craze first started (thank you SO much NCL) the cruise lines charged a "modest fee" for the option of dining somewhere other than the MDR. Now the cost has become prohibitively expensive for what you get, IMO. It has long surpassed what it was originally created for and has become a full priced meal at a price I would pay at a moderately priced restaurant on land.

I completely agree with the above. Our first experience with speciality dining was on NCL's Norway at no additional fee. We were told the point for NCL was to get additional revenue from wine sales. When RCCL started it it cost $3.00 in Port... The cost was to be for the tip. Boy have times changed.

In our opinion Chops is way overpriced, the service has gone down hill, and the special experience is gone since they changed the menu. Now you can pay an additional $20.00 for what Royal calls a "Something Special" steak for a total cost of about $59.00 per person.

Royal has turned a good Chops experience into a cheep (I don't mean inexpensive) "nickel and dime" experience with poor service.

We've never elected to dine in one of the Specialty Restaurant's on any of our Cruises. We've always enjoyed the food and atmosphere in the MDR. For our September 2015 Cruise we'll be sailing on the Jewel Of The Seas. One of the TA perks is a voucher for two in one of the Specialty Restaurant's. We plan on using the voucher so we are looking for recommendations/opinions from those that have dined at Giovanni's and Chops. We do realize everyone has a difference of opinion but just want to see which one may be preferred over the other. Thanks in advance.