Day room in Papa'ete post cruise

karlellzey

Need some input/advice on Windstar Spirit in Tahiti (Papa'ete).

We disembark the Spirit in the morning, but don't leave until the 11:59PM flight that same day.

What have most Tahiti travelers done for a room? We'd like to stow our luggage, bum around the island for the day, and then be able to shower and freshen up before the long trek home.

We're staying in Papa'ete before the cruise, so a resort atmosphere isn't necessary. Basically, easy late night access to the hotel (cab or driver) is important.

I know there is an airport motel (mixed reviews), and some people used it to walk to the airport, but I don't want to be dragging bags at 10PM at night.

Any advice on where to stay, please? Do you just book a regular room, or can you request a day rate at any of the places. Thanks!

We just did this in June and stayed at Le Meridian. Spent the day at the pool, napped and saw a gorgeous sunset. The room was supposed to be about $250.00usd, but when I checked out I asked for a break and I was only charged $165.00. It was a great place to spend a day and just chill out before that long flight.

We got a day room at the Intercontinental. It is very close to the airport. It was expensive, but we felt it was worth it. The resort is beautiful. We just hung out at the pool, napped and had a nice dinner before heading to the airport.

What about transfers from the yacht to the hotel and then to the airport?

Since this is "Tahiti"...were cabs available at the port or did you pre-arrange?

Lastly, were the hotels accommodating on getting a transfer from the hotel to the airport late at night?

I found regular one-night book rate of $188 for the Le Meridien.

Sorry for the questions... since this is such a small island and so remote, not sure what to expect.

We visit almost every year... Taxis are easily found at either the airport or the cruise port.

Hotel Sarah Nui is within walking distance from the port... if you have no mobility issues - but they have no pool and when I was there, no ice either. The room was big and had a little kitchenette. No frills but within walking distance of center of town.

Intercontinental is the primo hotel - expensive and you need a taxi to get anywhere - either from the port or to the airport... which is the case with Le Meridian or most other hotels. Honestly if you get settled there, you probably won't want to leave until it is time to go to catch your flight anyway.

There are quite a few pensions available but they sell out quite quickly... if you say what day/evening you need, I will see what is available as I have many connections there.

I have never stayed at the Airport Hotel myself but I understand it would be OK for what you are describing, I think. If you are staying in PPT before your cruise, you may have better options to ask them if you can come back just for the day after the cruise and get a good deal there..... day rooms are pretty much a thing of the past given the economic crunch there.

We visit almost every year... Taxis are easily found at either the airport or the cruise port.

Hotel Sarah Nui is within walking distance from the port... if you have no mobility issues - but they have no pool and when I was there, no ice either. The room was big and had a little kitchenette. No frills but within walking distance of center of town.

Intercontinental is the primo hotel - expensive and you need a taxi to get anywhere - either from the port or to the airport... which is the case with Le Meridian or most other hotels. Honestly if you get settled there, you probably won't want to leave until it is time to go to catch your flight anyway.

There are quite a few pensions available but they sell out quite quickly... if you say what day/evening you need, I will see what is available as I have many connections there.

I have never stayed at the Airport Hotel myself but I understand it would be OK for what you are describing, I think. If you are staying in PPT before your cruise, you may have better options to ask them if you can come back just for the day after the cruise and get a good deal there..... day rooms are pretty much a thing of the past given the economic crunch there.

Excellent info! Thank you so very much. :)

Agree wholeheartedly! Dr. Poole is a great adventure. I would suggest reserving the tour in advance as he only has limited seats... and then on the other hand, if he does not have enough - he will not do the tour. I read somewhere that he only does it on Mon and Thurs - but that might be old info. If anyone is truly interested, I will contact someone actually on Moorea to see what the current situation is... the price is probably in excess of $100 now.

Wow! Thanks for all of the replies. It sounds like I'm talking to some Tahiti experts. With that being said, could you possibly recommend a tour for both Bora-Bora as well as Huahine? That would be wonderful! I think I have the other islands covered.

We were not able to get a flight out until the next night just about midnight. I booked a room at the Intercontienal and at check in found we had been bumped up to an over water bungalow because I was a IHG member. I asked about late check out and they said no but for a few extra dollars could stay as long as we wanted the next day. We had planned a trying to get a tour the next day but with that room, we were very pleased to just relax until time to get to the airport.

On Bora Bora, we did Patrick's Lagoon tour and Polynesian feast. The lagoon tour included swimming with the black fin sharks and stingrays, snorkeling in 2 more locations and a traditional Polynesian feast on a private island. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

On Moorea, we did Albert's ATV tour. It was so much fun.

Both tours were booked prior to arrival on line and can be paid for at the beginning of the tour.

Have a wonderful time!

On Huahine we went on a fantastic historical tour which featured the moias, we saw very different ones in Easter Island, i forget the historian Dr, ? It was great he took us to a museum and we climbed to the sacred site of the moias. Fascinating he was a great teacher. It was through WS. Great trip happy sailing.