Star Pride Questions

seanugget

Hi all,

We are seriously considering booking with Windstar for our 10th anniversary. We have a few questions.

-What is the dress code? We have read varying information on this. It ranges from full on fashion show to cruise casual. We are fairly casual but certainly can dress it up if need be.

-What is the general age range? From what we have read, the general age range is 40's and up. We are in our mid 30's and early 40's. This is more of a curiosity question since we got...you guessed it, varying information on this. We are very social and have friends ranging from early 20's to upper 80's.

-I read that there is no assigned seating at dinner nor is there a set dining time other than to be there by 7:00 pm. Is this correct?

Thanks for any information. I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Edited by seanugget

From our experience, folks have worn casual during the day and dressy casual at night. I've never seen long dresses or tuxes if you're thinking you need to "dress" for dinner. Shorts are not allowed in the dining room for dinner. As far as a full on fashion show, I don't think that would describe the feeling we have gotten on our Caribbean cruises on Wind Star. My husband usually wears khakis with a Polo shirt (long or short sleeves) and I wear a cute fun dress for dinner. Some men will throw on a blazer when dining too.

I've never worried about an age range on any vacation. We've made friends with a couple in their 30's on up to a wonderful couple in their 80's. (We are in our 50's.)

We think the best thing about the dining room is the fact that you can go anytime between 7 and 9 pm and be seated. You can choose to sit just the two of you or with a group. On our last cruise we showed up about 8:30 pm every night and had no trouble getting a table. In fact on our Christmas cruise to Panama in 2014 with our two college sons, they had our table waiting for us after the first night. We had the same waiter and same table each night when we showed up at 8 each night. We appreciated that on that cruise.

Wind Star is a different experience that the main cruise lines and we love the differences!

Edited by Ski Mom 2

Thank you so very much! Your reply was helpful. We aren't worried about the age range. I hope that didn't sound ageist. We are more curious since we got such conflicting information. One of the websites said that the cruises are generally an older crowd and quite formal. Another said it was a mix of ages and casual. We prefer a more casual kind of cruise with all ages. It makes it more relaxing and fun. :)

Thanks again!

This is interesting. I've never seen WS described as formal or a fashion show. I'd love a link. Very casual and laid back. Just collared shirts and long pants for men at dinner in Aamphorae, and I've seen even this ignored in very hot weather. The only thing close to fashion is that people dress up a bit for the yacht club reception, which as first timers you won't be invited to since its for repeat cruisers.

This is interesting. I've never seen WS described as formal or a fashion show. I'd love a link. Very casual and laid back. Just collared shirts and long pants for men at dinner in Aamphorae, and I've seen even this ignored in very hot weather. The only thing close to fashion is that people dress up a bit for the yacht club reception, which as first timers you won't be invited to since its for repeat cruisers.

I wish I could remember which website it was. I've been looking with no luck at the moment. Everything else I read stated the emphasis on casual but I of course hold on to what this one person said about it being very formal. I need to let that go. HA HA! Sounds like we would be very comfortable with Windstar. Thanks for the information.

• 3 weeks later...

Take a look at the photos in the Windstar brochure. If you dial down the outfits the models are wearing in those publicity shots just one small click - you will be very suitably attired and comfortable anywhere you go at night on a Windstar ship. These ships are small when compared to some of the propeller driven cities we see today and you will see the same passengers likely every day. Remember that you only get one shot at that first impression. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by dressing for dinner like you've just returned from the hardware store.

The age demographic is diverse on Windstar. Most guests we've traveled with are very active and most are well traveled - regardless of the number of birthday cakes they've suffered through. You sound like you get along with all age groups so don't worry about passenger age.

You may dine as early as 7:00 pm or as my wife and I do [much] later. The dinning room stops serving dinner guests at 9:00 pm. Being seated at 8:30 is the sweet spot as most people eat earlier. An 8:30 arrival allows the servers and chefs to be under less pressure then when trying to work a full dinning room. Everything is more relaxed and your table choices are better.

We've managed to get the same table for two every night when seated at 8:30 which means we also get the same servers who quickly become friends. When traveling we don't go to the dinning room to eat we go to the dinning room to enjoy dinner.

Hi all,

We are seriously considering booking with Windstar for our 10th anniversary. We have a few questions.

-What is the dress code? We have read varying information on this. It ranges from full on fashion show to cruise casual. We are fairly casual but certainly can dress it up if need be.

-What is the general age range? From what we have read, the general age range is 40's and up. We are in our mid 30's and early 40's. This is more of a curiosity question since we got...you guessed it, varying information on this. We are very social and have friends ranging from early 20's to upper 80's.

-I read that there is no assigned seating at dinner nor is there a set dining time other than to be there by 7:00 pm. Is this correct?

Thanks for any information. I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Hi - We sailed on the beautiful Star Pride last month (Italy/Dalmatian Coast) and the dress code was definitely "country club casual". Definitely no need to pack anything terribly dressy (although there will always be a few passengers who love to sparkle at night, but they are in the minority).

On our sailing the youngest was around 10 years old, and there were many multi-generational families. Lots of honeymooners. Up to 80's, but everyone was on the active side. Most were well traveled and very social.

Dining is from 7-9 PM but if you show up at 8:30 and linger over coffee after hours, they won't kick you out! Open seating, plenty of tables for 2 if you wish, or share with others. It was very easy to strike up conversations with most everyone.

This was our first Windstar cruise, and we are spoiled for the unrushed experience of a smaller ship. We can't wait to sail with them again!

Hi

We have sailed on WindStar and Star Pride and have just booked a sneaky winter cruise on Star Breeze.

We are in our 40's and found that the majority of fellow passengers were same or older, although we had our teenage daughters with us for our first trip. We find that everyone is very friendly, ready to chat and mostly young at heart and we have never felt that it was a 'older' ship.

Pack casual clothes - some people dress up a little in the evening, but nothing like the large ships with their formal evenings. A simple skirt and top, or tidy trousers are fine.

Most of all - enjoy!

Alice

Just off Windsurf. Dress code is more relaxed. I saw many people wearing jeans to dinner. I also women wearing shorts in Aamphora. You can always wear shorts at Candles.

I've never seen anyone wearing jeans in the dining room, nor women wearing shorts in any dining venue. I wonder if they have relaxed their already casual dress code?

The website states no shorts, flip flops, jeans or tshirts in Amphora or Candles. I've never seen anyone wearing any of those at dinner.

It is certainly not formal. Country club casual is a great description, imo.

On our last cruise on the Star Breeze, we witnessed two men being turned away from the dining room in the evening because they were dressed in flip-flops and shorts. It was done very politely with an explanation of their options - change your clothes or order room service for dinner.