Isla de Coiba in 2017

We are booked on the Breeze's Panama Canal & Costa Rica cruise this coming January. Windstar's published itinerary includes a day at Isla de Coiba, but provides no information on planned activities or excursions on that day. In the past (before the Pride ran aground at Isla de Coiba last December), my understanding is the this stop included an onshore picnic and excursions. Does anyone out there have any insight into what activities are planned for the upcoming season? My understanding is that there are some good snorkeling locations near the island, but don't know any details.

We were on the Pride a week or two before the 'grounding' at that location. The day on the beach was outstanding! All of the water-toys were taken ashore - kayaks, paddleboards, and the smaller tender inflatables with water skiis, and raft for towing couples around the bay. The beach had plenty of loungers and food was plentiful - even though it was basic bbq fare, it was good. Snorkeling was pretty good around the rocks on one side of the beach and they did provide that equip. Word of caution: do NOT take a camera on the tube ride... wrist strap broke and it took four of us about 45 minutes to find it underwater... but the driver never gave up looking... until it was found.

I do not recall if there was any other excursion offered... it would have been a shame to do anything other than take advantage of the beach picnic.

We were there post-grounding. It was a nice laid-back day. The beach was lovely and indeed WS brought out all sorts of beach toys, towels, etc. Everyone had a good time. The buffet was good and plentiful. There is really nothing there except the beach, there were guided walks scheduled, but if they happened I missed it. Mostly just a beautiful beach with tables laid out under shade trees. They stop there the entire season, so everything was well planned out and everyone from WS knew the drill. Some people were certainly snorkeling.

They ran the zodiacs back and forth all day, so you could go out and come back whenever you pleased.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the following email from Windstar last week and it looks like they are changing islands for that stop. I hope the new one has some snorkling opportunities. Googled it and it does appear to be a nice beach area.

"We look forward to welcoming you on Windstar’s upcoming December 9th, 2016 - Costa Rica & Panama Canal itinerary on the Star Breeze.

We are writing to let you know of a port change on this voyage. Due to new regulations which have been put in place by the Panama Government and Park Organization, Windstar will call on Isla Parida, Panama instead of the scheduled stop at Isla de Coiba, Panama.

Isla Parida is situated in the middle of the Chiriqui Marine National Park, which was founded in 1994 to protect 36,400 acres of extensive coral reef, mangrove swamps, and marine meadows. You will be visiting the east side of the island which faces the Pacific Ocean, and will enjoy a delicious beach barbecue hosted by Windstar.

You will be able to appreciate the white-sand beaches and the water temperature that stays at around 82 degrees year round.

There is nothing you need to do. We apologize for any inconvenience this port change may cause. As always, our primary goal is to provide the best voyage possible for you.

If you have any questions or need further information, please contact Windstar’s Vacation Planning Department at 800-258-7245 or your travel professional. We look forward to welcoming you on board."