Greek Isles - Wind Star vs Star Breeze

RHV

Hi! We're considering a Greek Isles cruise summer 2017, but can't decide between the Wind Star or the Star Breeze. We love both itineraries, so we're hoping to get your thoughts on the pros and cons of both ships. Many thanks!

We did the similar cruise under sail and have done two others on the power yachts. Both are great. Under sail is a nice novelty, but there are things about the power yachts we prefer, much larger cabins and generally more amenities. For a first timer, I would suggest sail which we have now done three times and enjoyed every one

Would definitely suggest the sail. We have sailed numerous times on the sailing ships and once on the Legend. To us, the Legend was nothing special but the sailing ships are always special. Departing a port with them playing 1492 and raising the sails is something you will never forget. Yes the cabins on the sailing ships are smaller than on the powered ships but you tend to spend more time on deck on the sailing ships.

Think about what matters to you relative to cabin space etc and make your choice. Both would be good but we believe the sailing ships are the only way to go.

Thank you all for the insights and suggestions! And what a lovely dilemma it was - much like deciding between dark chocolate or milk chocolate - you really can't go wrong. As it happens, the decision has been made for us - our window changed slightly and only the Sea Breeze is available. So no sails for us this time, but a larger cabin and 2 more days aboard for the Venice to Athens cruise!

Hi

We have sailed Wind Star and Star Pride (identical layout to Star Breeze) and found that although we loved both, Star Pride had the edge for us.

The sails are beautiful (especially sailing into a sunrise in Santorini) but the additional space and facilities on Star Pride were appreciated more.

Enjoy your trip - we are on Star Breeze in December :D

Alice

The comment Kuldalai made about the motor yacht prices being higher is overly simplistic. With a few exceptions the same cruise at the same time on the different ships is the same. If their comment is based on per passenger price times the number of passengers, this is a meaningless analysis which could be applied to the different size sailing vessels

In answer to the original post, the consensus seems to be SAIL

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE - after much pleading and some truly exceptional salesmanship, I convinced DH of the infinite merits and pleasures of booking....wait for it... a B2B Rome-Venice-Athens on Star Breeze! Booked 7/27/17-8/13/17!!! WoooooooHooooooooooo!

Yes, I absolutely want to do a trip on one of the sailing vessels, but 17 nights in the Med??? Hands down the best choice. So a HUGE thank you to everyone who brought up the notion of amortization of costs. That was final straw (or downy feather in the fluffy pillow) of DH's objections.:D:D:D

BTW - "RHV "and "Sparklplenty" are both me. I'd forgotten I had this older account and will henceforth be known as "Sparklplenty".

Edited by sparklplenty