NCL Med Cruise on Star, a few bumps but overall good

rubyredvette

CHECK-IN, BOARDING

We checked in at Norwegian in Venice, a short 10-15 minute process. Then we sat around for 2 hours waiting to board ship. Once we boarded ship, we got lunch.We started to go to our cabin and there was a sign telling us that our cabins were being prepared. Then we got to hear an announcement every 10 minutes that finishing touches were being made to our cabins and cabins would be ready. This lasted a couple of hours. There was an almost constant announcement about great cruise offers, sign up now!!! This was broadcast and broadcast and broadcast. I can still hear it in my sleep !!!!!

Finally got to our cabin. I thought I would get my camera and take some pictures, my camera was packed in luggage. Luggage arrived about 7:00 pm… so much for pictures leaving Venice port.

OBSERVATIONS

First port was Dubrovnik Croatia. A great visit and then we returned to ship. We took water with us because it was hot. When we arrived back at ship we had to pourout the water. This was water we had paid a high price to NCL for. I was told that everyone had to discard all liquids when boarding ship. Later I observed several passengers re-boarding ship with water bottles, but admittedly they were younger and cuter than I am.

I went to Dinner wearing Shorts. I was told that I must wear long pants or go to Dinner somewhere else. I did comply with the rule but was amused when I looked around. Ladies can wear short skirts, Capri pants, etc. Apparently there isonly a dress code for men.

I like Iced Tea. Not a good choice on this Cruise. Since the glass is small, I usually drank at least two glasses. When I finished my first glass of Iced Tea, I would place my glass on the edge of table in plain sight. Only two times did a WaitPerson ask me if I wanted a refill. Usually I had to flag down a WaitPerson to ask for a refill. The last two days of the cruise I switched to water,easier than trying to get a refill.

TheNCL staff was great. Everyone had a ready smile, they were ready to take care of any problems. Then we continued…

Just after midway of the cruise, the WaitPersons seemed to lose some of their interest. I usually order coffee with Desert, half the time I was never served the coffee that I asked for. Perhaps they were tired, I do not know…. But the service level declined.

Our Cabin Steward was Outstanding. He had a ready smile throughout the whole cruise. He greeted us like we were old friends. I was very impressed.

Atone port I was doing my usual walk around the city, I had a fight with a thorn bush and it won. I had two small spots that were bleeding. Of greater concern was that around the two spots was a circle that looked discolored. We went back to ship and I asked where is First-Aid, it seems that once ship docks, they close down First-Aid. The suggestion was that I could go back into town and try to find somebody there. Instead I went to cabin, cleaned and disinfected the two spots. They both cleared up, so there was not a problem.

The Cruise is set up to sell alcohol. Like the water, alcohol is overpriced. I felt that the no liquids brought aboard was really to force you to buy to pay for alcohol by the drink. You can buy a bottle of alcohol at the Duty Free Store, it s given to you when you leave the ship.

SPECIALTY DINING

We had three Specialty Dining options included by NCL. I booked Le Bistro first and it was great. Excellent staff, great food prepared as ordered.

Second Specialty Dining booked was La Cucina. I ordered a T-bone and when it arrived…I took one look and said this is not a T-bone… it was a round piece of beef with a small bone at bottom. I was told that is a T-bone. I said No that is not a T-bone. Then I was told that it was a T-bone Chop (a new term to me). Then Iwas told that there was no T-bone steak available on board the ship and so this cut of meat was substituted. I tried to cut the “T-bone Chop”. I gave up trying to cut the meat. I said, it would have been great if somebody had told me that there was no T-Bone available. Then I was offered a Ribeye Steak. Not my favorite cut of steak, but I took it, It was OK, but not great.

For my third Specialty Ding, I went back to Le Bistro and had a wonderful meal.

SHORE EXCURSIONS

I was amazed, a very little technology could enhance the process.

Even using a couple of overhead projectors would improve the process. Currently there is a person calling out the Tour Numbers. The person calls out the numbers and sometimes repeats the numbers of the tours called earlier (and left), The Shore Excursions leave by both sides of the theater, I suggested something simple like three Overhead Projectors. One in the center having alist of the Shore Excursions with meeting times. As the Shore Excursion is called, the Shore Excursion would be moved to left or right side overhead Projector. The display could include the Shore Excursion title. Currently the Shore Excursion information called out is based on number with occasional title.

I took two Shore Excursions offered by NCL. The first was the Athens Hop on and Off Bus. Well worth the time and cost. There is a walking Tour included, it was very good.

The second was a walking tour at Spilt Croatia. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being highest), the tour was a -2 (Minus 2). The Tour Guide and staff distributed an audio device and headphones. However there was no check to make sure that the number of people and devices disbursed were equal. We started out on our journey and crossed several streets with heavy traffic. The group became fragmented and lost. I caught up to the tour Guide and told him that the group was getting fragmented. I got the thousand yard stare, but he did stop for a moment to ge tthe group together. I discovered a couple that had no audio device and headphone, I gave them mine and shared my wife’s audio device. The group became fragmented again, so I caught up to the Tour Guide again. He decided that perhaps he should take a head count on occasion. The Tour Guides commentary was not informative and consisted of “This is xxx”. “Over there is xxx” “Visit the museum for 15 minutes”. A better option for this tour is to go on your own and buy a map.

DID I ENJOY THE CRUISE

Even with my comments above, I would say the Cruise was a success. We relaxed and enjoyed ourselves. We had some great meals. Overall we had great service.

Would I go on anther NCL cruise? It depends on a few factors. If another Cruise Line offered a similar itinerary and not much higher in price, I very well may opt for another Cruise Line. I have been on three NCL Cruises, two others were in 1980’s. This Cruise had the overall feeling of a discount store and a Cruise I took two years ago had an overall feeling of a mid-scale store. If price is the same, I will take mid-scale.

Edited by rubyredvette
correct changes made when i uploaded text

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are looking into doing a cruise leaving from Venice.

My DH and I bring travel water bottles and fill them in our cabin with ice and water before we leave ship. The if we are asked to pour it out it is no money lost.

Ncl does state the dress codes for dining. For women capris and dresses, whether short dresses or long are appropriate and depending on where one is dining slacks or nice jeans are needed for men. After a long day in port we often just head to the buffet so DH can wear shorts.

Thanks for your review. Funny how the little things that are penny pinching on cruise lines part are the things I remember. I have sailed NCL for the past few years and every year the cuts of meat get a little stranger. Some steak cuts I've never even seen for sale in the stores (Europe or the us). Bottom of the barrel cut of steaks in an up charge dining venue is my idea of extreme cost cutting. Now that it's just a service fee if taking as a perk the quality has been subpar or average at best.

That whole water bottle thing is a bit much as well. I can see them only letting you drink their bottles and appreciate them reducing the rates for bulk purchasing but last year I just thought it was terribly poor decision to send out garbage pails and extra staff to tender dock just to confiscate the water from the very hot and exhausted passengers in line for tenders. All the confiscated potentially dangerous water was then hauled back to the ship because they certainly had nowhere at santorini tender spot to throw it away. People were furious and overheated. Taking away the water that NCL sold them to begin gave me a bad taste.

Sounds like overall your vacation was a success. I think knowing these things are standard procedure are key to having a great vacation. If the steak turns out better than expected it's a welcome surprise but if you end up with an unrecognizable hunk of meat it's not going to ruin your vacation.

Knowing there's a water police in full force to ensure you aren't standing in a hot tender line with one of their waters isn't going to piss you off so much if known in advance.