Getting From Barcelona (Epic) to Venice (Star) In The Same Day....Crazy?

jemz1949

Family is on NCL Epic out of Barcelona next summer disembarking on Sunday. We are considering the NCL Star cruise out of Venice which sails at 5pm that same day. Basically there is only one flight option being on RyanAir that is scheduled to arrive at Venice Treviso airport at 115pm. I'm told that I should expect approximately 90 minutes from deplane til arriving at the port from Treviso. (NCL does not offer transfers from the Treviso airport to the port.) NCL posts that all guests need to be onboard by 3pm. Does anyone have any experience with boarding near of after the 3pm deadline? Or am I crazy to even try this?

If your flight is on time, you should make it pretty easily on a Sunday. I'd prebook a car. But more than a 30 minute delay could be trouble. If you're checking bags, that also will impact your transfer. If the Star's first stop is the next day in Dubrovnik or Kotor, it should not be much of a problem to make your way there in a day to join the cruise, assuming you have visa free travel there and NCL will let you join in one of those countries. If the Star's first stop is a Greek island, I wouldn't risk it.

Is Veuling not a possibility?

Epic arrival in Barcelona is scheduled for 5am on Sunday July 22 2018. I've done searches for flights from BCN to Venice on Sunday as far in the future as I can and have only found the one mentioned on RyanAir at 1115a. Vueling flight does fly into Marco Polo but it leaves at 710a which is not doable.

Bocadude85: are you seeing other flights?

If your flight is on time, you should make it pretty easily on a Sunday. I'd prebook a car. But more than a 30 minute delay could be trouble. If you're checking bags, that also will impact your transfer. If the Star's first stop is the next day in Dubrovnik or Kotor, it should not be much of a problem to make your way there in a day to join the cruise, assuming you have visa free travel there and NCL will let you join in one of those countries. If the Star's first stop is a Greek island, I wouldn't risk it.

Is Veuling not a possibility?

No one in their right mind makes travels plans that only allows for a 30 minute delay.

No one in their right mind makes travels plans that only allows for a 30 minute delay.

I've done some crazy travel stuff, but usually with a safety net or at least knowing what I'm getting myself into. OP is presumably an adult and so I'm just giving it to him or her straight. If they can board in Dubrovnik and don't mind that risk, and it's the only way to make the dream vacation work, then it's their decision to make.

Especially on Ryanair, I'd think there's probably at least an even chance they will miss sail away. I personally wouldn't really want to take a Venice cruise and miss the sail away -- especially since the days of cruises being able to use the grand canal may be numbered. But it's not my cruise, my decision or my question.

Some of my best travel moments have been when the plan goes to crap. Everyone's different.

Would do but wheels down on the tarmac of Marco Polo before noon.

Prebooked private transfers with arrival hall pickup and a back up plan (taxi or public transport, esp. work out the latter one, with the Port Bus, a fast paced walk over the Rambla onto the Placa de Catalunya for the Aerobus to the airport if taxis somehow are not available..).

Definitely too risky IMO. Even if there were multiple flights, I wouldn't risk it because you're flying a fair distance and crossing into another country. I recommend flying in the day before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's an intra EU flight within the Schengen area, OP doesn't even needs to show a passport for this flight. Flight time is 1 hour and 45 minutes.

If you do go with Ryanair remember you can check in up to 60 days before departure.

You MUST print off your own boarding pass or you will face a heavy charge at the airport.

Remember to pay extra for extra weight in your bags as their standard fee is only for 15 kg

Most important, if you have a non European passport you must have your documents checked and boarding pass stamped at a separate desk or you will be sent back from the gate to have it done and will almost certainly miss your flight.

Having said that their punctuality is good so if you go for it. Good luck!

It's too early to book most Airlines for July 22 2018. Wait a few more weeks and look again

Fwiw. Just take a cruise that ends in Venice and then hop on one that starts there

If you're lucky you may even get a few days layover in Venice.

Honestly keep it simple and do more research

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most important, if you have a non European passport you must have your documents checked and boarding pass stamped at a separate desk or you will be sent back from the gate to have it done and will almost certainly miss your flight.

Is a doc check required for a schengen flight? I don't even think a passport is necessary (though likely OP's only id for security). It has been a year since I've had a schengen flight though, so I'm not sure, but thought it wouldn't be required.

Is a doc check required for a schengen flight? I don't even think a passport is necessary (though likely OP's only id for security). It has been a year since I've had a schengen flight though, so I'm not sure, but thought it wouldn't be required.

Oops. Missed that it was Schengen. My bad. You're right about passport as ID though.

I do some crazy stuff. And can cut things tight.

BUT - with only ONE flight, and only an hour tops for delays, this is looking for trouble.

I would not do it.

(and on an emotional note, you would miss spending time in Venice - unless you miss the ship of course)

Why don't you switch the embark/disembark port from BCN (Sun to Sun) to Rome (Wed to Wed), and then you'll have a few days to travel to Venice from Rome before the Star cruise.

Good idea, venice and rome are two great places to stay. If you do it anyway fly into Marco Polo you have many ways to get to the NCL terminal one not so weird option is by boat since it would almost for sure avoid traffic jams that can happen. The terminal is on the water or/and can be reach from the train station area by monorail.

On the Schengen part, keep in mind these days it gets suspended at times in may the airport in Venice was hell because of a NATO top..

So my vote is to also change your plans and create a few days consider doing it by train (4 hours) and stop in between in Florence.

1) fly to venice marco polo

2) take the boat taxi from airport through the grand canal to a nice hotel on the canal (can be semi cheap if you look) and evening and full next a day.

3) take the boat back to central station from the hotel early in the morning. Take train to Florence have a nice evening stay in hotel.

4) consider part of the next day to goto Pisa (most of your stuff can stay at the hotel in Florence). around 4:00 move back to Florence pick up your stuff and get on the train to Rome

5) Probably still time for a nice walk in Rome, stay a day or move to the schip the next day.

Something like that sounds nice, you just added 3 or 4 nice places you should visit at least once :)

Daniel.

PS: oops order might need to be reversed but still :)