Do they offer upgrades from an inside cabin at the port of southampton Eclipse

Chez2

Hi, was just wondering if they may offer upgrades when we book in at Southampton. We are booked on the Eclipse on the 18th October 2017, but it is a school holiday week. We have never done an upgrade before as we usually have a balcony, but they were over a £1,000 extra each when we booked. Got this cabin for £919, they are £1.200 atm.

Thanks in advance.

:-)

We have found most cruises are fully booked on departure day. The chances of an upgrade are slim. Have you looked to see how many cabins are unsold?

We were offered an upgrade cheaply to a CS on one cruise, I had enquired beforehand so maybe that is why they offered.

Worth phoning up to check on an upgrade price.

One some of our cruises we have gotten upgrades a few weeks after our final payment because the cruise had not sold very well so they dropped the price to fill the ship. The upgrades only came after I saw the price drop and I went and asked. We have done about a dozen cruises now and I have never seen any upgrade offers at port check in. As others have said, check cabin inventory now and inquire now.

It's not the location or booking rules that make a difference in this situation. In my experience, there is no way for the booking staff to make changes to what's been assigned. If here is a major problem, then it is referred to a much higher pay grade to get it put right, and the possibility of an upgrade is not considered a major problem! The best that the person at the booking desk can or will do is refer you to the Guest relations desk once on board, who will most likely tell you that the ship is sold out, just like the check-in agent will tell you.

Very very rare - so rare in fact I don't know anyone who has done this. If there are open cabins they usually upgrade those before sailing. I know because this year we booked a 15 night cruise in an inside cabin (booked only 3 months before cruise). We didn't mind as it was 15 nights and only $650 per person. Two weeks before the cruise, I logged in to my celebrity account and noticed our room number had changed. No notice, no phone call, no extra money. Of course we looked up the new room and gasp..... it was Aqua class.

Talking to others, they have had this happen as well but we all had kept our booking with Celebrity and not transferred to a Travel Agent.

My assumption is that if there are open cabins, they upgrade people before the cruise, thus leaving no options to upgrade at the dock. I wouldn't want to think about dockside upgrades as the logistics of that would be crazy. You've already checked luggage, your assigned room steward has your special requests, etc. If I were in operations, I'd forbid it unless it was some rare medical need or emergency.

You need to go to Guest relations. They will tell you that they need to wait for the ship to leave before they can upgrade. When you return they will tell you that no upgrades are available even if they are. But, at least you know that you've asked. If they happen to shock you and tell you that they have an upgrade they will require you to pay the full price difference. If you want to move out of an Inside you need to do it before you board.

You need to go to Guest relations. They will tell you that they need to wait for the ship to leave before they can upgrade. When you return they will tell you that no upgrades are available even if they are. But, at least you know that you've asked. If they happen to shock you and tell you that they have an upgrade they will require you to pay the full price difference. If you want to move out of an Inside you need to do it before you board.

I asked once when we embarked in Amsterdam for a 2 night Repositioning cruise to Southampton. I was told to go to Guest Relations. Balcony cabins were available. The cost was more than we paid for an inside room. We decided not to go ahead, 2 nights in an inside was sufficient to make us Elite for our next sailing.

We have done about a dozen cruises now and I have never seen any upgrade offers at port check in.
Edited by upwarduk

The pierside agents have no ability/facility to offer or process an upgrade/upsell. Ttheroetically one could inquire at Guest Services once onboard, but 99.9999999% of the time there will be a sign on the counter stating something to the effect that "This voyage is sold out and no upgrades are available".

Typically Celebrity do not offer paid or free upsells/upgrades, but you could inquire with your travel agent/Celebrity around 30-45 days prior to see if any higher tiered rooms have had an unexpected price drop. Celebrity may allow you to pay the differential at that point to move to a higher grade of accommodation. However if it is a school break week chances are the bookings will be strong and prices will have gone up.

Best bet - if you REALLY want a balcony pay the difference now when you know you can get exactly what you want and before prices creep up even more.