Tuscan on Silhouette - any better than in Eclipse

Ladesign

Have had 2 very bad experiences in Tuscan on Eclipse last 2 January’s. My friend from Canadia even said to the guys ‘selling’ the spec dining that we wouldn’t go to Tuscan because of previous experience. We were ‘guaranteed’ a ‘great meal and experience’

We (7) thought ‘let’s give it a go’ - it cannot be any worse ! Well it was so bad that 6 of us couldn’t stop laughing , the only good thing was the Sommelier. At the end my pal from Canadia signed his bill (reluctantly) and left in a huff. 2 minutes later along came the Maitre D enquiring about our experience- we politely told him that it was frankly appalling . He immediately refunded our charges. It was great next day teasing my pal that if he hadn’t gone off he would have got a refund.

So the question is - anyone got recent experience in Tuscan on Silhouette as I am on next weekend. I have a 4 dinner package and wondering whether to chance it . we always do QSine last night to lift the spirits a bit. Murano we absolutely love. Porch club not really our scene. So either a 2 Murano or chance Tuscan ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have had 2 very bad experiences in Tuscan on Eclipse last 2 January’s. My friend from Canadia even said to the guys ‘selling’ the spec dining that we wouldn’t go to Tuscan because of previous experience. We were ‘guaranteed’ a ‘great meal and experience’

We (7) thought ‘let’s give it a go’ - it cannot be any worse ! Well it was so bad that 6 of us couldn’t stop laughing , the only good thing was the Sommelier. At the end my pal from Canadia signed his bill (reluctantly) and left in a huff. 2 minutes later along came the Maitre D enquiring about our experience- we politely told him that it was frankly appalling . He immediately refunded our charges. It was great next day teasing my pal that if he hadn’t gone off he would have got a refund.

So the question is - anyone got recent experience in Tuscan on Silhouette as I am on next weekend. I have a 4 dinner package and wondering whether to chance it . we always do QSine last night to lift the spirits a bit. Murano we absolutely love. Porch club not really our scene. So either a 2 Murano or chance Tuscan ?

We were on Eclipse last January and last week. Didn't have a good experience at Tuscan Grill in January, food not great, sommelier nowhere to be seen. Thought we should give it a second try on our med trip last week. Hubble ordered red snapper, it was curled up at the edges, dry and tough, he sent it back and ordered short rib pasta, which was slimy textured. They were apologetic, but not worth paying the extra for that dining experience. As we had prepaid before we left, they couldn't refund us either. So, IMHO I wouldn't go there personally! We enjoyed Murano, book early in the cruise though, gets very busy. Qsine was good fun too

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My Tuscan experience over the past 2 years has steadily decreased. On the Reflection last March it was downright "mediocre" which to say if it was a regular meal in the dining room we would have given it 3 out of 5 but to pay extra and be served that in Tuscan dropped it down to a 1 out of 5. The menu has changed, how they cook many of their steaks has changed and they now charge even more for prime cuts. I can't foresee myself dining in Tuscan on ANY Celebrity ship until I start to hear good reports.

That said, the service is usually very good and the sommelier is often good... but neither can overcome the mediocre food.

My experiences of late in Tuscan haven't been very good apart from the view. I'm not sure I will even dine there next cruise.

At the end my pal from Canadia signed his bill (reluctantly) and left in a huff. 2 minutes later along came the Maitre D enquiring about our experience- we politely told him that it was frankly appalling . He immediately refunded our charges. It was great next day teasing my pal that if he hadn’t gone off he would have got a refund.

If he were truly my pal and knowing he didn't enjoy the meal either the least I could have done was to mention his name to the maitre d' so he got a refund too. Teasing him the next day? What a strange attitude.

Phil

I'm really sorry that you didn't have such a great experience in Tuscan Grille on the Eclipse. Mostly because we enjoyed dining there on the Solstice and Reflection - even lunch on a sea day on the Reflection. And we've long been talking about it and wanting to dine in Tuscan Grille on our upcoming Eclipse cruise...

May I be so blunt to ask... what was so bad about your experiences there?

My experiences of late in Tuscan haven't been very good apart from the view. I'm not sure I will even dine there next cruise.

If he were truly my pal and knowing he didn't enjoy the meal either the least I could have done was to mention his name to the maitre d' so he got a refund too. Teasing him the next day? What a strange attitude.

Phil

it was his wife’s idea - she kicked me under the table and shook her head. Suspect she sorted it later after teasing him worse than me. Maybe our sense of humour doesn’t match others -couldn’t care less. My pal thought it was funny too [emoji106]

Like you I have not had good experiences at Tuscan on Eclipse. I have found Tuscan to be very inconsistent across ships, liked It on Reflection and Constellation but not on Eclipse and Solstice, so wondering if I should give it a go in Silhouette.

Although while on Silhouette don't forget about the Lawn Clib Grill. My favorite so far on Reflection.

I'm really sorry that you didn't have such a great experience in Tuscan Grille on the Eclipse. Mostly because we enjoyed dining there on the Solstice and Reflection - even lunch on a sea day on the Reflection. And we've long been talking about it and wanting to dine in Tuscan Grille on our upcoming Eclipse cruise...

May I be so blunt to ask... what was so bad about your experiences there?

We've had fairly good experiences at the Tuscan Grille on both the Silhouette and Solstice, so we'd also love to hear what specific aspects Ladesign found appalling. Granted it wasn't anywhere nearly as good as the Murano, but the food and service were really not bad.

And, just curious, is Canadia somewhere in the UK, or a typo for Canada? :confused::D

We really don't care for the new menu is the Tuscan Grill. Many of our favorites are gone. Food was good on Silhouette but nothing special. We enjoy the views from the back of the ship and that is the highlight for us. We did get a discount but there are better choices on Silhouette.

This is another request for specifics on what was so bad at Tuscan Grill, please. We will be on Silhoutte for our first X cruise in Dec, The specialty restaurants are SO much more expensive than those on RCI, so we are expecting a very good experience. Perhaps we should only go if we can get at least 30% off. When I look at the Lawn Club grill, I don't see anything except the steak that looks great. A salad bar is available in the buffet as are sides and desserts. So what is so good about Lawn Club? We cook outside at home. Would rather someone else do the cooking!

We've had fairly good experiences at the Tuscan Grille on both the Silhouette and Solstice, so we'd also love to hear what specific aspects Ladesign found appalling. Granted it wasn't anywhere nearly as good as the Murano, but the food and service were really not bad.

And, just curious, is Canadia somewhere in the UK, or a typo for Canada? :confused::D

The service was very bad - waiter kept apologising. as a result food arrived over cooked , some cold. I am not a great cook but don’t serve pasta on one plate with some rock hard and some mushy. My pal had his linguine ( or similar ) cut into lengths varying between 10 & 25 mm.

Canadia is where Canadians are from - just north of Trumpton . me originally from Moosejaw) .

If I hailed from Canada I would be a Canadan [emoji12].

ie from America = American

from Canadia = Canadian

as the meerkats say - ’simples’

Just facetimed Canadia - my pals wife sorted things out on the way out of Tuscan wiv Maitre D - they got a freebie in Qsine on last night of boat trip - she only told him tonight nearly 8 months on - priceless

When they refund without a real grumble says it all . In the UK they would say it was like Fawlty Towers - so bad it was hilarious.

Still a bit curious...

With a near constant crew rotations onboard and on/off the vessel, and getting a seat in a different section of the restaurant each time... how can the experience be consistently poor?

Did you book and accept a table expecting a certain dish that was not on the posted menu?

(Sorry for being so direct, I just try to get an idea of what to expect when we board next month)

Experienced Tuscan Grill on Equinox and Silhouette in the last 6 months. Both the food and experience was significantly better on the Silhouette and we ordered similar meals - mostly steaks and sides of pasta and others.

On Equinox, we were overwhelmed with different staff asking us questions about the food, the wine, the view, etc. It was actually borderline annoying as we kept getting interrupted. The food was bland and the steaks were overcooked. The fish entree was not appealing at all. Our table of four ordered several sides to share and didn't finish any of them. That's quite telling.

On Silhouette, the steaks were cooked perfectly as ordered - medium rare - and the sides were well seasoned and not mushy. We actually wished we'd ordered two of the lobster pasta dish to share. The recommended wine was lovely as was the view. The service was attentive but not overwhelming.

It did seem that the menu choices were reduced from the time we went some years ago. But still plenty of choices for one evening.

Experienced Tuscan Grill on Equinox and Silhouette in the last 6 months. Both the food and experience was significantly better on the Silhouette and we ordered similar meals - mostly steaks and sides of pasta and others.

On Equinox, we were overwhelmed with different staff asking us questions about the food, the wine, the view, etc. It was actually borderline annoying as we kept getting interrupted. The food was bland and the steaks were overcooked. The fish entree was not appealing at all. Our table of four ordered several sides to share and didn't finish any of them. That's quite telling.

On Silhouette, the steaks were cooked perfectly as ordered - medium rare - and the sides were well seasoned and not mushy. We actually wished we'd ordered two of the lobster pasta dish to share. The recommended wine was lovely as was the view. The service was attentive but not overwhelming.

It did seem that the menu choices were reduced from the time we went some years ago. But still plenty of choices for one evening.

I understand ;) We're still hoping for the best :) Anyways, we'll be on a cruise and won't be coming or cleaning ourselves :D

Still a bit curious...

With a near constant crew rotations onboard and on/off the vessel, and getting a seat in a different section of the restaurant each time... how can the experience be consistently poor?

Did you book and accept a table expecting a certain dish that was not on the posted menu?

(Sorry for being so direct, I just try to get an idea of what to expect when we board next month)

First paragraph- Celebrity are the only one’s can answer that question.

2nd Paragraph. How dare the poster make that assumption - we ordered from the menu, how else does one place an order in a Restaurant.

As I said , first experience - really bad . Go back with a ‘ guarantee’ and it really could not have been worse had they tried it . We had a great night laughing about how bad it was . I got serious stick for even agreeing to the venue and my pal from Canadia got some serious ribbing for quite a few days after.

Probs should feel guilty about the refund - as a comedy we could have been expected to pay I suppose [emoji848]

2nd Paragraph. How dare the poster make that assumption - we ordered from the menu, how else does one place an order in a Restaurant.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies. I should have read the post another time over before posting.

That said I do value your opinions and input as only through the experiences of fellow cruisers may I learn what to expect onboard :)

Please accept my heartfelt apologies. I should have read the post another time over before posting.

That said I do value your opinions and input as only through the experiences of fellow cruisers may I learn what to expect onboard :)

apologies if I was a tad harsh - should have checked the geographics [emoji12]

This is another request for specifics on what was so bad at Tuscan Grill, please

IMHO

Dumbing down of the menu and removing menu favourites (shrimp/scallops gone, lobster pasta gone, NY Strip added to additional cost menu).

The remaining cuts of meat are not as tender or as flavourful (Reflection 03/2017, Silhouette 07/2016).

What was once a "must do" for me has been relegated to a "if I need a change and get 30% off" item.

We had a good steak on the Millenium last May in Tuscan, but the filet we had in BLU a few later was as good if not better.

We also have found that the food is almost as good or just as good in Blu as in the specialty restaurants. We generally no longer go to the speciality restaurants unless there is at least a 30% discount available.

The service was very bad - waiter kept apologising. as a result food arrived over cooked , some cold. I am not a great cook but don’t serve pasta on one plate with some rock hard and some mushy. My pal had his linguine ( or similar ) cut into lengths varying between 10 & 25 mm.

Canadia is where Canadians are from - just north of Trumpton . me originally from Moosejaw) .

If I hailed from Canada I would be a Canadan [emoji12].

ie from America = American

from Canadia = Canadian

as the meerkats say - ’simples’

Haha....I love your logic...makes perfect sense! I'll have to try it out on my compatriots and see their reaction to "Canadia."

And I admire your mind frame. Most people, including myself, would be quite upset to end up with an unpleasant experience after paying a hefty upcharge. You were very lucky to have been refunded the full amount.

We have found the food in Blu to be good but a step below the Specialty Restaurants. On a couple of nights, we do not care for the menu in Blu and dine elsewhere.

As for Tuscan Grill, many of our favorites have been removed. We have found that there are other options that we would rather pay a premium. We went to Murano twice and to the Lawn Club Grill.