Balls on the Queen Mary 2 !!!

PrincessPete

Hi all

I see that on our forthcoming Transatlantic two of the formal nights are the Black and White Ball and the Royal Ascot Ball.

The choice of clothes are, of course, obvious for the Black and White Ball but can anyone help with what people usually wear for the Royal Ascot Ball, please?

As an entirely unrelated question, can anyone also please help with advising what time Queen's Grill passengers can normally embark at New York for an eastbound Transatlantic - and is the sailing still usually 4.00pm?

Many thanks and kind regards.

Peter and Beverley

There is no obligation to "dress" for the Ascot Ball, but a hat for ladies always goes down well. They do have a hat making/decorating session onboard if you don't want to take anything special.

I have only done a round trip and not embarked at NY so can'thelp with that sorry, but as a QG guest you will be able to embark quite early. Possibly around midday????

Hi all

I see that on our forthcoming Transatlantic two of the formal nights are the Black and White Ball and the Royal Ascot Ball.

The choice of clothes are, of course, obvious for the Black and White Ball but can anyone help with what people usually wear for the Royal Ascot Ball, please?

As an entirely unrelated question, can anyone also please help with advising what time Queen's Grill passengers can normally embark at New York for an eastbound Transatlantic - and is the sailing still usually 4.00pm?

Peter and Beverley

It's been few years since my last QM2 trip.

Check in [baggage check and paperwork] were available at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal at 11 AM when we arrived.

We were finished with paperwork, and went to the main waiting room by 11:30. There was an enclosed side area fitted as a lounge [comfy chairs and a buffet] for Grills passengers - but it seemed to be empty.

In the main waiting room, we only had a 10 minute wait before boarding [we were prepared to wait until our scheduled early afternoon boarding time, so that was a pleasant surprise]

Hi all

Peter and Beverley

About 6-8 weeks prior to your journey, the Voyage Personaliser for your trip on cunard.com will be updated with E-Ticket information. Included will be your requested Arrival Time at the Pier. (Or, if you are not internet-conversant, Cunard's main customer service telephone number should produce this information for your booking.) Presumably, Cunard does not want all 2,000-plus passengers showing up at exactly the same time (or too early, before the ship has been cleaned from its arrival earlier in the day). So Cunard's guidance on when you should arrive will no doubt keep the process moving smoothly, rather than just showing up at some random time in the morning.

Peter and Beverly. It has been my custom to leave my hotel about check out time at 11:00 am and by the time you taxi to the Red Hook terminal in Brooklyn it will be 11:30 to 11:45. You can go right in, check in, go to the Grills waiting area and you should be boarding shortly, if the boarding has not already commenced. Time to check out the ship, have a pre-luncheon cocktail in the Queens Grill Lounge and then go accross at 1:00 to 1:30 to the Queens Grill for lunch.

• 3 months later...

Even when themed nights are announced in your Voyage Personaliser these can change once onboard.

There's not a black and white ball every week - maybe once a fortnight and not always a masquerade ball either. I tend to take a few accessories that can be used if necessary. On many of the themes people do not participate and those that do to the full extent tend to go to the Queens Room at 10am for a bit of a parade etc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really? What changes? The themes? The number of formal/informal nights? How often does this happen?

I don't know how often. I remember buying a mask in Venice ready for the scheduled Masquerade Ball and was a little disappointed when it became a Neptune Ball (which was a bit of a strange theme anyway), not a great deal but wouldn't go to great lengths to pack for a specific theme.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

On our transatlantic crossing on QM2 from New York to Southampton (17th to 24th May 2018), one of the formal nights is shown as a: 'Royal Cunard Ball'.

I'm clear on Roaring Twenties, Black and White and standard formal nights, but I'm not sure what's different on a Royal Cunard Ball from a normal formal night. Is it just a bit more OTT?

The Ball takes place on the day after the Royal Wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan, so maybe it's related to that?

Any help or guidance gratefully received - thanks a lot

Jo

On our transatlantic crossing on QM2 from New York to Southampton (17th to 24th May 2018), one of the formal nights is shown as a: 'Royal Cunard Ball'.

I'm clear on Roaring Twenties, Black and White and standard formal nights, but I'm not sure what's different on a Royal Cunard Ball from a normal formal night. Is it just a bit more OTT?

The Ball takes place on the day after the Royal Wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan, so maybe it's related to that?

Any help or guidance gratefully received - thanks a lot

Jo

We also have a "Royal Cunard Ball" scheduled for the second evening of our June 10, 2018 QM2 eastbound crossing instead of the usual Black & White Ball. Another poster mentioned there is one scheduled on the May 12, 2018 QV British Isles cruise in addition to a Black & White Ball on another evening. This does appear to be something new and I don't have a description of what that theme might entail. The only details I can find about the various themes describe the "Black & White Ball" and the "Cunard Ball" as being equivalent. No description provided of a "Royal Cunard Ball". Perhaps someone on a recent voyage where one of those may have been held can fill us in about it.

Regards, John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your responses. I decided to email Cunard directly and ask for their guidance on what to wear for a Royal Cunard Ball and this was their reply:

Thank you for your email.

Please see the description for the Royal Cunard Ball, this also falls under the theme 'Black & White or Cunard Ball'

Theme Description:

A Cunard tradition and the first Royal Event of the voyage. Includes the classic “Officers Gavotte” dance.

Attire Suggestions:

Formal Wear - Gentlemen - Tuxedo, Ladies - Evening Gown. Appropriate black and white gowns if you wish and accessories but not compulsory to be black & white.

I hope this information has now helped answer your enquiry.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Officers Gavotte dance - has anyone seen this?

Jo