Conquest Late Debarkation Notice?

Fern Crest

Just got an email saying the cruise prior to mine (the one underway right now), will be experiencing late debarkation, and we should arrive an hour later than planned, and bring only one suitcase if possible.

I checked if it was a genuine Carnival email, and it is. Is this standard operating procedure and they are trying to lessen the load (so to speak) at the port? Or is this something else, like engine trouble or something else that lets them predict they will be late to disembark?

Edited by Fern Crest

It could be a matter of smart navigation around some bad weather. It could be a berthing problem at the port due to late departure of previous boat. I would not worry about an hour delay. One suitcase is a smarter way to travel anyhow as it makes your movements more flexible as you only need to herd one bag.

Since Carnival went to staggered check-in ("Arrival Appointments") and people learned they will actually make you wait outside until your check-in time, there's no longer the need for Carnival to indiscriminantly send out mass "don't show up early" emails like they used to do.

There's likely a specific reason they expect delayed boarding, possibly a 90-day crew inspection where (I believe) the entire crew has to have their passports/visas/immigration paperwork reviewed by CBP.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Since Carnival went to staggered check-in ("Arrival Appointments") and people learned they will actually make you wait outside until your check-in time, there's no longer the need for Carnival to indiscriminantly send out mass "don't show up early" emails like they used to do.

There's likely a specific reason they expect delayed boarding, possibly a 90-day crew inspection where (I believe) the entire crew has to have their passports/visas/immigration paperwork reviewed by CBP.

This is what I'm guessing.

Probably the answer

Here's the email. Odd that it wasn't sent to everyone on the upcoming cruise.

It's probably the weather, or that 90 day cruise employee paper certification that was mentioned.

header_img_logo.png

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL CONQUEST

Dear Carnival Guest,

Your cruise is right around the corner and we want to provide you with important information to help expedite your embarkation experience.

We expect the disembarkation process from the previous cruise to run later than usual. Therefore, please add one hour to your Arrival Appointment and plan to come at the new time. Guests who arrive outside of their Arrival Appointment can expect longer wait times in line.

While we have you, just a few reminders to get you off to a great start:

• If you haven't done so already, please visit us at www.carnival.com/OnlineCheckin to complete your Online Check-in and select your Arrival Appointment now.
  • To help you pack, we suggest you limit your luggage to a maximum of one bag, per person.

• Guests are not allowed to bring bottled beverages, i.e., water, sodas and other non-alcoholic drinks on board. Please review our beverage policy located in our FAQs at help.carnival.com.

• To enter the terminal, present your boarding pass and a government-issued picture ID (applicable to all guests 16 years and older), citizenship documents (including any necessary visas) and completed health questionnaire.

• If you are a Diamond, Platinum guest or have purchased Faster to the Fun, you may proceed to your stateroom as soon as you board.

• Staterooms are available from 1:30 PM for all other guests. Guests who are scheduled to arrive before this time usually check their bags curbside so they can be free to enjoy lunch, which will be served on Lido Deck until 3:15 PM.

• Checked luggage service is only available until 2 hours before the ship's published departure time. Guests arriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board.

• In preparation for departure, all guests must be checked-in and on board the ship no later than 60 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will not be permitted to sail.

We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard for a FUN and memorable cruise vacation.

Sincerely,

Denese+Waiters+Signature.jpg

Denese Waiters

Sr. Director, Guest Services - Contact Centers

As far as I could tell, there was no delay when we boarded the Conquest on the 26th. We showed up at 11:15, and basically walked through the terminal, checkin and onto the ship.

I have no clue what the letter is supposed to do.

One theory we came up with was that they were getting new crew that day, and paperwork might take longer than normal. It might also explain why the fire drill ran really long, and the pretend fire spread, and the location for crew to meet was repeated. New crew wouldn't necessarily go to the right place, and that would cause them to need more instruction.

Just my theory, but I like it. ;)

As far as I could tell, there was no delay when we boarded the Conquest on the 26th. We showed up at 11:15, and basically walked through the terminal, checkin and onto the ship.

One theory we came up with was that they were getting new crew that day, and paperwork might take longer than normal. It might also explain why the fire drill ran really long, and the pretend fire spread, and the location for crew to meet was repeated. New crew wouldn't necessarily go to the right place, and that would cause them to need more instruction.

I got the same one for the cruise before yours and it wasn't delayed at all. If they keep sending these letters for every cruise, they are going to have people ignore them just like the ones they used to send before they started staggered check in. You can only cry wolf so many times before people won't believe you.

Are you saying that there was a crew fire and boat drill on your embarkation day? If so, that means a USCG inspection, which can last all day. Even without new crew, if the inspectors are not satisfied with the conduct of the drill, they can have it repeated, and repeated, and repeated until it is done to their satisfaction. The longer the crew is detained doing the drill, the less time they have for the normal turn-around duties of loading food, booze, stores, fuel, luggage, and cleaning the cabins. It is pretty typical for the cruise line to send out a delay notice when a USCG drill is scheduled, but I'm surprised that the inspection wasn't mentioned, as it usually is.