Sushi on Eclipse

scarletlady

We used sushi on 5 as part of our booked dinner package on both the reflection & Equinox on past cruises,

We also found the food quality & selection to be /good/great, both for a sushi lover like my GF & a non raw fish eater like me [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I do not know if it is on the plan, we only had veggie sushi and miso soup, we rather enjoyed a lot. Ate there several times at lunch while on Millie.

bon voyage

Thank you. I will be trying it out as I love sushi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used sushi on 5 as part of our booked dinner package on both the reflection & Equinox on past cruises,

We also found the food quality & selection to be /good/great, both for a sushi lover like my GF & a non raw fish eater like me [emoji39]

Sounds good and I don't mind paying using cabin credit. Thank you for replying.

While I do not know if it is on the plan, we only had veggie sushi and miso soup, we rather enjoyed a lot. Ate there several times at lunch while on Millie.

bon voyage

Thank you, I will be trying on my cruise in September.

It is only my opinion but by all means try it , it is always empty so getting a table is easy, I think it's space could be better used,me and my wife really couldn't see what the fuss was With this sushi as we found it quite tasteless

It is only my opinion but by all means try it , it is always empty so getting a table is easy, I think it's space could be better used,me and my wife really couldn't see what the fuss was With this sushi as we found it quite tasteless

Last time I was on Eclipse it was a burger bar/grill. That wasn't used much then.

Each to their own tastes but I love raw fish sushi.

Last time I was on Eclipse it was a burger bar/grill. That wasn't used much then.

That area was never a burger bar/grill. It was Bistro on 5 when Eclipse first began sailing (featuring crepes, paninis and some additional fare) and last year was converted from Bistro on 5 to Sushi on 5.

We tried this on the Reflection last year, and while I love sushi, I found the rice to be bland and mushy. By all means give it a try (could have been that ship or maybe things have improved and food is a very subjective thing), but I will not be going back when we get on the Equinox next week.

Yes, that's right It was called Bistro and you could buy burgers. I was on Eclipse May2016

The menu is more than just sushi. You have to pay for the food but items are individually priced, unlike the other speciality restaurants where the meal is a fixed price. We chatted with one waiter at Sushi on 5; he said the portions were large and they were happy for people to share.

The menu is more than just sushi. You have to pay for the food but items are individually priced, unlike the other speciality restaurants where the meal is a fixed price. We chatted with one waiter at Sushi on 5; he said the portions were large and they were happy for people to share.

Thank you for this information.

When we were on Eclipse last time I went to a talk by the head chef about cooking the perfect fish, and he also answered questions about other aspects of food preparation and mentioned sushi. He said that they always use fish that has been frozen and defrosted for sushi, the reason being that fish sometimes carry parasites which would be killed by the freezing process. This sounds like a good idea to me - except that maybe that's why the sushi is a bit tasteless, as some people have reported, after having been frozen.

When we were on Eclipse last time I went to a talk by the head chef about cooking the perfect fish, and he also answered questions about other aspects of food preparation and mentioned sushi. He said that they always use fish that has been frozen and defrosted for sushi, the reason being that fish sometimes carry parasites which would be killed by the freezing process. This sounds like a good idea to me - except that maybe that's why the sushi is a bit tasteless, as some people have reported, after having been frozen.

That's interesting to hear

Actually nearly all raw fish served in the US has been frozen at some point (by law tuna is the only fish permitted to be served in US restaurants that has never been frozen - but even that is often frozen at some point). Some restaurants do occasionally serve truly fresh (i.e. never frozen) fish raw despite the governmental regulations, but that is extremely rare. So long as the fish is good quality, is properly frozen (flash-frozen - freezing in a regular freezer is too slow a process and allows ice crystals to form), properly stored, properly defrosted and properly prepared then the quality does not suffer much.

Personally, my experience at Sushi on 5 was that I found the fish to be too poor quality to be served as sashimi, but I enjoyed some of the rolls. The fish definitely needed sauce and other ingredients to mask the taste - the fish was not good enough to shine on it's own, but was good-enough for rolls.