Laundry on a 25 day Eclipse B2B

Ken the cruiser

Sorry for another laundry thread. We've searched other CC X laundry threads, but are still in need of some experienced advice. We're trying to figure out a laundry strategy for our upcoming B2B Eclipse cruise (10 day Canary Island cruise followed by a TA back to Miami). Since we have no plans to do laundry on this combined 25 day B2B, we're trying to figure out:

1. How often does X offer their $49.95 laundry bag special on a cruise? For example what is the likelihood they will offer it on the 10 Canary Island cruise which precedes the TA? How many times will they offer it on the 15 day TA?

2. Roughly how many articles of clothing can you stuff in a bag if you roll them up tightly and are the laundry bags tough as we have heard they are made of paper? For example, roughly how many blouses, polo shirts and pants can you fit in one? 1 of each, 2 of each, 3 of each? We figure it's cheaper just to bring all the socks we need since paying $3 each to wash them is just stupid.

Here's what one CC person in another thread estimated the "per piece" costs would be. Are these estimates pretty close as we couldn't find the actual price list anywhere on the X website or in a variety of X "laundry" threads here on CC?

Undergarments -- $3 each

Socks-- $3 each pair

Short sleeve shirt -- $6 each

Pants -- $7 each

Dress -- $11 each

We've only been on one X cruise other than the Xpedition and since it was only 7 days, we had no need to do this research. However, since this adventure will be for a total of 25 days, we figured we'd better start coming up with our clothes packing strategy as we have no desire to do laundry in our bathroom sink.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I am fairly sure X will have the offer on every cruise, though not having been on EVERY cruise I could be mistaken and loyalty gives us a couple of free bags so I don't take note of offers along those lines.

You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in one of the bags though obviously a pair of jeans takes up more space than underwear. I always take some duct tape which I use amongst other things to tape around the top of the bag which provides a little more "shove" room.

Whatever you do don't send any delicates or favourite items. Count items before you put them in as the form requests this info.

I often put our laundry into one of those plastic laundry bags hotels provide and then into the paper bag. Easier to,get items I without ripping the paper bag. We also use the dry cleaning service especially for things I worry about shrinking amd want pressed, such as pants. The cost for,the dry cleaning is about the same as home, at least where we live.

I'm sure you're already planning on packing strategically, and not bringing a completely new outfit for each dinner or for each day. I always wear the same bottoms (slacks, skirt, etc.) many times with a change of tops and accessories. I don't bring tee shirts (I'm talking nice short sleeve shirts, not tourist tees) that have 'sayings' on them, so that I can wear them at night with a skirt or under a jacket and then during the day. The "tees" I bring are good short sleeve solid colors. They also don't scream "tourist." I bring a lot of knits that can literally be rolled up and washed easily in the sink and dried on a hanger overnight. Amazing how a simple solid colored "tee" can be dressed up with a scarf and jewelry. Again, look into the "traveler" tees that can rinse out in a flash.

The bag is paper but you can ask for a cloth bag. You can fit a lot of items there. I wouldn't bring new socks for every day. Look into the lightweight wool type travel socks that wick moisture and are sold in places like Cabela's. You can wash those out easily and they dry quickly. Same with your underwear, no need to bring 25 pair - just hand wash. I use the provided shower gel.

Minimize your shoes. Last cruise of 14 nights I wore the same pair of black dressy ballet flats every night - with slacks, skirts, even a very dressy long skirt. No one cares about the shoes. First cruise that we took in 2001 I actually brought a couple pair of shoes that I literally only wore with one dinner outfit once. Crazy!

I tend to color scheme a trip. Sometimes it's black, red, gray, white predominantly so things mix match. On Caribbean cruises I tend to go white, turquoise, aqua, green, light blue -- and it's amazing how many day and evening things coordinate.

Before we were elite and elite+ we paid to have a few things washed or dry cleaned but delicates we have always done a minute in the sink before bed. The free laundry perk is one we love.

I'll be following my "rules" next summer when we do 15 nights on Azamara preceded by a week on land. There are people who pack for a month in a carry on. I wouldn't go that far myself but I definitely pack much smarter and more strategically than I used to.

Editing: I just reread your post. You have no desire to do laundry in your sink. I get that. I certainly wouldn't do jeans or big items, but underwear and the type of socks I mentioned - that's just a minute in the sink every couple three days, not exactly "a day of laundry" and will save you a ton of space. Have a great time on that B2B. We have yet to do a B2B but we have taken long cruises with land portions and we never have more than our 26" cases and a carry on (each). As far as how many pieces you can fit in the bag, no way to say. Your golf shorts may take up more space than someone else's depending on size and material. Dry fit material will condense more. A little knit top will take up less space than a size XXL cotton polo.

Edited by ClaudiaB

As mentioned, there is no guarantee that a stuff the bag offer will occur. Doing the B2B with the TA keep an eye out for a possible laundry special for B2B cruisers. Doesn't happen all the time but have had a laundry offer on one 1 B2B.

Keep in mind that if a stuff the bag is offered. it is wash & fold. Garments are washed in hot water followed by high heat dryer. We personally never put blouses, polo shirts or pants. DH put a pair if Dockers in once they came back shrunk (length)& very wrinkled. We use wash and fold for jeans, work-out clothes, DH under garments, and knock around t-shirts.

Sometimes B2B cruisers get a free bag of laundry if they ask. It's the least they can do. Unlike other cruise lines that give B2B cruise discounts, Celebrity doesn't give a break for the B2B. Doing a B2B on Celebrity can be a disruption in your cruise experience. Talk to the concierge and request some free laundry. I am elite plus and get lots of free laundry coupons. Even then, I do not send out some items. I rinse some things in the cabin sink and let them air dry. Hairdryer can be used if you need them dried sooner. Depending upon weather where you sail, you may or may not wear socks. Warm places, sandals will do. I often take long trips. I do NOT pack an outfit for each day. Plan on wearing items several times. Stick to a color scheme. Solids are easy to mix and match. Dark clothing works better. It doesn't show stains as much as lighter hues. Before you stuff them into a suitcase, lay everything out on your bed. Can you mix tops and bottoms? If something only goes with one item, leave it home. Bring clothing that washes and dries quickly (nylon best choice). Avoid items that require pressing. If you have heavy clothing items that will take many days to dry, send them to the laundry. Good luck.

...Unlike other cruise lines that give B2B cruise discounts, Celebrity doesn't give a break for the B2B...

I'm presuming that you are referring to a B2B cruise discount on laundry. Just in case you are not - Celebrity does give a $50 price reduction per person per cruise on a B2B. Not always automatic. Sometimes you have to ask for it.

Pay for the extra suitcase and bring your stuff. I never quite get the worrying about getting the suitcase to the ship. Almost all our trips are for three weeks and I never have to repeat clothing. Laundry is for undies and my husbands tees.

Does anyone else find it a little disturbing that people are washing their undies in the sink where you're washing your face and brushing your teeth?:eek:

We've only been on one X cruise other than the Xpedition and since it was only 7 days, we had no need to do this research. However, since this adventure will be for a total of 25 days, we figured we'd better start coming up with our clothes packing strategy as we have no desire to do laundry in our bathroom sink.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

We certainly understand as we feel the same way and also have never had any desire to do laundry in our bathroom sink.

That is why we leave the delicate stuff that needs to be hand washed behind at home and only pack clothing that we are willing to send out, either to the laundry or for dry cleaning.

From our years of land touring, when we first started cruising we continued to follow the old traveler's rule of packing old underwear and socks to wear one last time and then throw away.

But that is much easier to do with women's clothing than men's, as far as packing space goes.

With today's non-wrinkle fabrics and stores that specialize in travel clothing, there is very little need for ironing.

We really have had very few problems with the laundry service on Celebrity ships.

If you have a problem with the laundry, pressing or dry cleaning service and let your stateroom attendant know about it, he/she gets the Assistant Head Housekeeper, who will take the problem items back and have them redone correctly.

If you are in a suite, your butler will take care of it for you.

When we first started cruising with Celebrity, we just figured the cost of the laundry as part of the cost of the cruise.

It was easier to accept if we just figured the total cost of the cruise as being $200 or $300 more, because paying $200 - $300 for laundry service seemed outrageous.

For newcomers, that per-piece laundry pricing can get expensive very quickly.

However, after you cruise with Celebrity for a while, as you advance in their loyalty program you get more free laundry, really a very nice perk.

You can also get free laundry if you book a high level suite, but somehow I don't think that the people who can afford to book those expensive suites are the ones who really need to be concerned about the price of laundry. clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

Pay for the extra suitcase and bring your stuff. I never quite get the worrying about getting the suitcase to the ship. Almost all our trips are for three weeks and I never have to repeat clothing. Laundry is for undies and my husbands tees.

Does anyone else find it a little disturbing that people are washing their undies in the sink where you're washing your face and brushing your teeth?:eek:

Great advice re extra suitcase if you live half the year in Europe and the other half in the US. If not unless you are flying business that extra suitcase could be expensive on the outward trip from Alabama....

I think most of us who do a little sink washing rinse out the sink afterwards well and we also respect the thorough job the room attendants do.

We are lucky now that we have Captains Club status that gives free laundry and we usually cruise suites where laundry is a perk...we do have memories of sink washing, however...we used to budget an amount for a couple of 'bag washes' and top up with sink washes....

Even in the PH this year the blouse I needed to wash after an encounter with red wine received the sink treatment! Could have involved the butler but didn't need to!

Agree with all those who say choose your clothes wisely....light weight T's and polo's so much easier to rinse out.

Fleckle, never had the urge to travel with 'wear and bin' undies! It is a great idea and makes so much sense but I just don't think I could pack old undies! Every cruise we take involves a trip to M&S first - a U.K. Shop whose quality of 'smalls' for men and women is highly respected!

Edited by chemmo

We are just able to squeeze 20 tee shirts, golf shirts and cargo shorts into a laundry bag. They aren't very strong, so as has been said reinforce with duct tape. Did 23 day Panama Canal sailing few years back and bought four new 6 packs of boxers for trip. Didn't weigh much or take up a lot of space.

Thanks again everyone. From all of your thoughts we are developing a strategy where we will take advantage of the laundry specials when they happen and will bring two large suit cases loaded with clothes, all of which will be light weight and wrinkle-free. We figure if we can get 2-3 special laundry deals and budget about $200 for laundry, we should be just fine.

BTW once we finish this B2B we will be Elite status thanks to an upgrade from OV to the RS we got for a total of $750 on the 10 day Galapagos cruise we did a couple of years ago that netted us 180 Captains Club points. That's why we're in a C1 on this B2B to get those extra points as there is definitely a big jump in perks when you get to Elite.

Ken: We receive bags of free laundry so I don't pay much attention to how often the $49.95 laundry "special" is offered. But several years ago I was curious and added up how much it would have cost us for a bag of laundry which had just been returned to us had we paid the per item price. I don't remember exactly how many items were in that bag but probably about 25 or so. It would have cost us about $45 - $47 had we paid the itemized price. So I am not so sure that the the $49.95 laundry "special" is any cost savings over the itemized price.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but does X have an Unlimited Laundry Package? I don't ever recall seeing it on their ships. We had unlimited laundry (NOT dry cleaning) on a recent HAL Westerdam cruise...$9 per day so we paid $90 on the 10-day cruise. Best money we ever spent. And it was great to come back from an excursion and put your sweaty clothes in the bag and get them back the next day.

Count me in for one that does hand wash in the sink and shower. We travel with one large suitcase and one carry on a piece. Let's face it, airline travel isn't as easy, flexible, or relaxing as it used to be. What to bring is dictated by itinerary. We were on a 13 night Baltic cruise after spending 2.5 days in the U.K. So we packed for warm, cool, wet, and gym. A little of each so we could layer.

The ships laundry is great for socks, t shirts, and cottons. My husband sent out 2 bags. The light SPF, wicking, non wrinkle travel, and polyester/spandex fabrics, not so much.

Celebrity discourages hand washing by not providing a clothesline in the bathroom. I brought my own after reading CC posts, but there was no place to safely hang it. So our unmentionables were hung around the cabin on wire hangers. Lightweight pants and gym clothes were hung on the balcony chairs (secured by clothes pins) when in port.

I would do the same even if I had free laundry. Many fabrics are simply not suitable for high heat drying. I just wish Celebrity would accept the hand washing reality and provide a clothesline ( and more hangers).

Let me see if I am getting this right.

1. I am going on a 21 day b2b, the Silhouette does NOT have a clothes line

2. There may or may not be a special for a bag of laundry

3. The price of the special bag of laundry is $49.95:eek::eek: Seriously????

What's a girl to do! Someone stated they did not like the idea of people washing in the sink but I see no choice here. I also believe that the sink would be thoroughly cleaned by me and then by the cabin steward after I washed our clothing.