NCL Star Venice Eastern Med, which side of the ship has better views?

Lou2204

We are sailing from Venice in aug 2018, and booked a cabin on starboard, thinking it will have the better views of the coastline etc.

But is this true? It sails from Venice southbound, so I'm thinking maybe its better to be on port side...?

Anybody got an idea? Does it make a difference?

Better as in having a better view of the coastline, and a better view when sailing away. I don't know how close this ship sails to the coast and whether you can see anything at all, but I figure if you are on starboard, you would be facing the water, and on port side facing the land? As my dear hb pointed out ' but it also sails back the same way', and yes he does have a good point, but it looks as if it would sail closer to land going South.

(Btw I like your forum name, it makes me feel a bit less maniacal now, asking this detailed question 1 year prior to sailing :'):'))

Port is certainly better for views of Venice as you sail away.

Other than that, it depends on the exact ports to an extent. You don't generally sail close enough to the land to see much. Sometimes you can just see something in the distance. Certainly not anything to see to make it worth specifically selecting a room location.

As for the other ports, I can't immediately think of any where the cabin location will matter much.

We just got off the ship. The views out of Venice are amazing. You definitely see more out of the port (left?) side of the ship. When you are going south towards Greece, you are closer to the shore and can see a lot. The only time we really saw stuff out of the right side of the ship was a little leaving Venice (saw the island off the coast, believe it is Lido) and then after we left Split, Croatia you could see the coastline.

Wait, I just checked your signature, so I know you're going in Oct. wow, you're a very experienced cruiser... i noticed you just sailed with the Star, did you like the ship?

Hi Lou2204,

We haven't sailed on the Star yet. We will this December. In fact, we are very new to Norwegian and have only sailed once (NCL Epic) with them. We did have a fantastic time on that first cruise and decided to try them again. It turns out we booked the same ship (Star) twice. This December back to the Mexican Riviera and next year sailing along the Adriatic. If we love the Star in December, we may even go as far as to book the Star one more time for the sailing right after Venice 7 day to make it a B2B cruise ending in Civitavecchia (Rome).

I will try my best to let you know what we thought of the ship.

I hope you have a great trip as well.

Kevin

Ah yes, now I see that the next one is in December. Wow I'm envious of the many cruises planned, we just got bitten by the bug quite recently, so many places still to see and try! I hope you will like the Star.

Is RCCL your favorite?

On departure, you will see Venice proper better from the port side for sure but, you can stand on deck and see that as well (and you can go to the other side to see that too). We went to the deck as it was a great day and you can see so much more.

Having said that, after departure neither side makes a difference as the trip out of Venice is only an hour long on your 7, 10 or more day trip.

Thanks all for the advice. I always wondered whether one side of the ship would be better than the other, but of course it will depend on the route. And yes, standing on deck is usually more festive when departing.

I still did change the location and we are now port side on this occasion.

Thanks!

Hi Kevin, can't wait to see how like the Star!! You're taking the same trip from Venice as we do, I notice! October should be lovely there, so much more quiet than August, when we go. But we are fixed to the kids school holidays, so we don't have the option. Great itinerary, I think, can't wait to see split , Kotor and Dubrovnik.

Best regards,

Lou