Tipping an Uber driver?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:52 PM.
Columbus,Ohio
5,537 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Hopefully, this is the right place to post this question. If you take an Uber, either from the airport to the port, or to a hotel, do you tip the driver? I've looked on Google for an answer, but found differing answers. According to one web site, the tip is included, and it's not necessary to offer a tip. Another web site says that a tip is not included, and is not necessary, but is appreciated. So, if you opt to offer a tip, how much is an appropriate amount? One web site suggested 20% of the fare. For our upcoming cruise, we'll be taking an Uber from the airport to the hotel. This will be our first time using Uber. Any helpful information regarding tipping would be appreciated. Thank-you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Conquest May 2016
Carnival Breeze May 2015
Carnival Liberty May 2013
Carnival Liberty May 2012
Carnival Sensation Feb. 2008
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2007
RCCL Explorer of the Seas March 2002
RCCL Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2000
Carnival Imagination Sept. 1999
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Feb. 1999
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 1997
New Cumberland,PA, USA
26,094 Posts
Joined May 2000
Rather than simply offer an opinion is here the official word from Uber:

"While Uber does not require riders to offer drivers a cash tip, you are welcome to do so. Should you choose to tip, your driver is welcome to accept or decline. Please note that the trip fare charged to your payment account does not include a gratuity. Where available, uberTAXI is an exception."

Unlike some cruiser lines that "require" tipping (which means it is not actually tipping) Uber simply leaves it up to the rider.

Hank
Columbus,Ohio
5,537 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Hlitner
Rather than simply offer an opinion is here the official word from Uber:

"While Uber does not require riders to offer drivers a cash tip, you are welcome to do so. Should you choose to tip, your driver is welcome to accept or decline. Please note that the trip fare charged to your payment account does not include a gratuity. Where available, uberTAXI is an exception."

Unlike some cruiser lines that "require" tipping (which means it is not actually tipping) Uber simply leaves it up to the rider.

Hank
Thanks. I saw that information posted on one of the web sites I found. But as I said, I also found a conflicting web site that said the tip WAS included in the fare. I have a feeling that tipping, and how much, is at the discretion of the passenger.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze May 2015
1,614 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Tipping is at your discretion. Not tipping "may" harm your rider rating, this tends to depend on the market. I prefer lyft for the ability to tip within the app vs having to have cash on hand for tips with über.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Julie

1,137 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
I tend to tip because i think it is the right thing to do, especially if they get out and assist with the bags. Occasionally I won't tip on a short trip where I have no bags and the weather isn't bad. It would help if you gave more information about port, whether taking Uber or UberX, number of people, number of bags and expected distance before recommending a specific tip amount.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn Sojourn - Caribbean - October 2013 - Review with Photos
Seabourn Odyssey - Black Sea - June 2014
Seabourn Odyssey - Indonesia - Gems of the Java Sea - November 2014
NCL Spirit - Grand Mediterranean - August 2015 - Review with Photos
NCL Jade - Western Caribbean - December 2015
NCL Sky - Bahamas - May 2016
I come from a land down under
20,821 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
I was once told, "You don't tip the owner" the uber driver is the owner.

But hey we haven't had a tipping thread for like five minutes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

I come from a land down under
20,821 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
What I find hilarious is that if I see someone post something like

"I'm from a non tipping culture and find the whole thing confusing"

As sure as night follows day abuse will rain down, but 99% of threads asking about tipping as started by Americans.

And then you hear "when in Rome...."

But again it's obvious most Americans don't know what to do.

Crazy.

Just crazy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Columbus,Ohio
5,537 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by nolatravelgirl
I tend to tip because i think it is the right thing to do, especially if they get out and assist with the bags. Occasionally I won't tip on a short trip where I have no bags and the weather isn't bad. It would help if you gave more information about port, whether taking Uber or UberX, number of people, number of bags and expected distance before recommending a specific tip amount.
We're flying into FLL, and are staying in a hotel in Miami the night before our cruise. There will be just me and my wife, with four bags. We'll most likely use UberX. I don't know the exact mileage from the FLL aiport to downtown Miami.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze May 2015
Bellingham WA
499 Posts
Joined May 2013
I usually use Lyft. When you go to pay, there are some pre-set tip amounts. I believe $1, $2 and $5. Since most of my trips are like 45 minutes, I always tip $5. My drivers have always been great.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

3/12/17 - Regal Princess - Western Carib
12/1/2016 - Crown Princess - LA to Ensenada
9/18/2016 - Ruby Princess - SEA to VAN
9/14/2016 - Island Princess - Van to SF
5/20/2016 -Crown Princess - Coastal
5/7/2016 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
2/7/2016 - Regal Princess - Western Carib
12/15/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
09/13/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
05/13/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
04/29/2015 Ruby Princess - Alaska
05/2014 - HAL - Coastal
05/15/2013 NCL Jewel - Coastal
2011 - Sapphire Princess - Coastal
2010 - Sapphire Princess - Coastal
2009 - Golden Princess - Coastal
2007 - Golden Princess(?) - Coastal
12/2002 - RCL Vision of the Seas - Mexico
1997 - Carnival Ecstacy - Mexico
2/1993 - Carnival - Mexico
4/1984 - Carnival - Mexico
6/1983 - NLC - East Carib
1,137 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by beachbum53
We're flying into FLL, and are staying in a hotel in Miami the night before our cruise. There will be just me and my wife, with four bags. We'll most likely use UberX. I don't know the exact mileage from the FLL aiport to downtown Miami.
The UberX fare should be between $35-$40. I would tip between $5 and $10 depending on if they drove safely, had a clean car and helped with the bags.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn Sojourn - Caribbean - October 2013 - Review with Photos
Seabourn Odyssey - Black Sea - June 2014
Seabourn Odyssey - Indonesia - Gems of the Java Sea - November 2014
NCL Spirit - Grand Mediterranean - August 2015 - Review with Photos
NCL Jade - Western Caribbean - December 2015
NCL Sky - Bahamas - May 2016
Michigan
2,391 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
The confusion comes because you can't tip on the UBER app and that throws the cashless conception off. As noted above, tips are not included BUT handling your luggage is a tipped service, so tip.
135 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by beachbum53

You can get a fare estimate any time from the Uber app or from the website.

Neal
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Canada
32 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by Elaine5715
The confusion comes because you can't tip on the UBER app and that throws the cashless conception off. As noted above, tips are not included BUT handling your luggage is a tipped service, so tip.
OMG! I didn't know. We are not cheap people and usually tip everyone. We were told that Uber was a non tipping service because the drivers aren't working for tips, they are working for fares. They keep 80% of the fares collected. (The driver told us that) And yes, the fact that it is a cashless transaction adds to the confusion. I feel shame! I think Uber should indicate something on their site.
Oak Park, CA
5,590 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
I have only used them twice. Both times were short distances. We got off the ship at Santa Barbara and went to the zoo. Then return trip. We had a wheel chair and 4 people. On the way I think we had to wait "almost" 3 minutes and on the return I called on the way out and the guy was there before we completely left the zoo. I think I tipped between $3 and $5.

The trip was around 2 miles.

I tip because of what the guy does. Did he show up on time? Was his car clean? Was he personable? Etc.! What did I get from the driver? If he picked me up late, didn't say a word and dropped us off - my tip would have been zero. I paid for the service, he gave me the service, nothing more, nothing less. No tip needed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Grand Princess - Alaska - 8/17 -- Crown Princess - California Coastal - 4/16 -- Star Princess - Coastal Vancouver - 11/15 -- Ocean Princess - Western Mediterranean - 10/10 -- Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 3/10 -- Island Princess - Coastal 5/09 -- Sapphire Princess - New Zealand/Australia 3/08 -- Sapphire Princess - Coastal 5/07 -- Tahitian Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii 7/06 -- Island Princess - Coastal/Alaska 5/06 -- Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean 9/04 -- Sun Princess - Coastal - 4/04 -- Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 4/01 -- Carnival - Caribbean - 11/00 -- Royal Caribbean - Caribbean 7/99 -- Grand Princess - Caribbean - 11/98 -- Pacific Princess - Mediterranean - 11/97 -- Sun Princess - Western Caribbean - 12/95 -- Regal Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/94 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 5/93 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 4/93 -- Fair Princess - Mexico - 12/92 -- Regal Princess - Alaska - 5/92 -- Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 8/91 -- Fairsky - Western Caribbean - 4/87 -- Fairwind - Eastern Caribbean - 4/84
Michigan
2,391 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by LizzGo
OMG! I didn't know. We are not cheap people and usually tip everyone. We were told that Uber was a non tipping service because the drivers aren't working for tips, they are working for fares. They keep 80% of the fares collected. (The driver told us that) And yes, the fact that it is a cashless transaction adds to the confusion. I feel shame! I think Uber should indicate something on their site.
UBER doesn't because LYFT does and LYFT allows tipping on the app. Remember the vast majority of UBER rides do not involve handling luggage. The UBERTaxi option supposedly allows tipping which makes sense since UBERTAXI usually can pick up at airports which has people with luggage (and luggage handling is customly tipped.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/t...ping.html?_r=0
This is a nice article that captures the confusion UBER perpetuates themselves around tips.
Michigan
2,391 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Actually, it is 48% pretax
Northern California
1,251 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
I feel the same way! I am a tipper, but had not realized that I should be tipping an Uber like I do a taxi!

I am grateful to the OP for bringing this topic to light!!

And it is nice to know you can add tip to Lyft. I know many drivers are both Lyft and Uber drivers.

I agree, the tip issue should be more clear and Uber should share that detail better.