Passport Clarification Needed..

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:53 AM.
Beer City, USA
6,278 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by spikester
well, as of Jan 23rd you will need a passport to enter the US when entering by air.

Personally, I think you should get a passport. Not all countries will accept your birthcertificate either.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
All cruise ports in the Caribbean accept BC and photo ID, or they would not have ships stopping there... Who cares what is required to get into Beirut, I am not going there, and no, they will not let me in with my BC.

Please see my post above, if you are a US citizen, you will NOT be denied entry back into the US if you have an emergency and need to fly - no matter what country you are coming in from, no matter when in the future as of the current laws. You can expedite your entry by making arrangements in advance, SOME airlines will require you to do this before you board a plane, others will not.
Delaware County, PA
3,551 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
we got passports in 1999 for our first trip to Europe. Now we use them for ALL travel - foreign and domestic. IT makes everything a breeze. We did go to the Bahamas once before that (long before 9/11) and using birth certificates was a huge to-do. LOVE LOVE LOVE my passport. Wish we got stamps on cruises, though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bernie

"so many cruises, so little vacation time"
Carnival Breeze -July 2017
Anthem of the Seas - March 2017
Carnival Pride - February 2016
Norwegian Breakaway - March 2015
Carnival Legend - Panama Canal Crossing - August 2014 - aft wrap
Carnival Freedom - October 2013 - aft wrap
Carnival Liberty - April 2013
Carnival Valor - October 2012 - aft wrap
Carnival Destiny - February 2012
Carnival Pride - Baltimore to Bermuda - September 2011 - Aft Wrap
Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean - May 2011 - Aft Wrap #8433
Carnival Dream - Exotic Western - September 2010 Aft Wrap #9472
Carnival Pride from Baltimore - Aft Wrap #7347 - May 2009,
Carnival Glory Western Caribbean aft wrap 8448 - September 2008
Norwegian Jewel (Southern Caribbean) - February 2008 - cabin 11636 -
Carnival Triumph (Eastern Caribbean) - September 2007 - Our first AFT WRAPAROUND -cabin 8433
Carnival Glory(Western Caribbean) - February 2007 - our first cat 11 - cabin 7248 -
Voyager of the Seas (Caribbean from NJ) - September 2005
Diamond Princess(Mexican Riviera) - September 2004
Grand Princess(Western Caribbean) - March 2003
Carnival Pride(Eastern Caribbean) - June 2002
Carnival Victory(Canada) - June 2001
WI.
437 Posts
Joined May 2002
We just got our passports at the end of November.
We received them in 4 weeks.
Now we're good to go, and don't have to worry about our Birth Certificates, and drivers licenses!

We will definitely use them again. We are planning on going to Cancun next March, for our daughters 18th birthday.

JUST DO IT!!!

We are sailing on the Triumph, June 16th, 2007!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL VICTORY-JUNE 2002
CARNIVAL VALOR-MAY 2005
CARNIVAL TRIUMPH-JUNE 2007
CARNIVAL GLORY-MAY 2009
CARNIVAL DREAM-APRIL 2011
CARNIVAL LIBERTY-MAY 3013
CARNIVAL VALOR-APRIL 2014
Edwardsville IL
280 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
As of this winter, a passport is required, ever for travel to Canada. Now as a practical matter, it is very difficult to keep out a citizen who has all the other paperwork in order, but they've been saying "passports will be required by January '07" for about three years now.

Go to the local courthouse, clerk of the court's office, have your SS card, your driver's licence and a "passport photo" from Walgreens in your possession and $10 {i think it is] in your wallet, fill out the form and mail it in right there. Allow 8-10 weeks for delivery.

And don't smile in the photo. The guvmint hates happy citizens.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Legend - May '08
Carnival Glory - May '07
Carnival Miracle - May '06
Carnival Elation - May '05
Carnival Sensation - Aug '04
Beer City, USA
6,278 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
...and don't misunderstand me, I have a passport, have always had a passport, need it for work and play, I have lived in Europe for several years, traveled all over - had to get extra pages when I was in Europe because of all the stinking government visas etc. I highly recommend getting one.

I just don't like people spreading misinformation that a US citizen will be denied entry into the US without a passport if flying, that is absolutely NOT true. Again, if you are in a hurry, or the airline requires it you will need to be faxed a permission letter from the State Dept. if not, you will just be detained until your citizenship can be validated.

The US citizen, who did not violate foreign laws, trapped abroad is a load of BS!!!
Rockwall TX
5,069 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by Guienevere_Arianette
What happens, worst case scenario, if you miss the ship and have to fly to your next port? You are not flying anywhere without your passport!

And what if someone gets ill and has to leave the ship early to fly home? Nope, not without a passport!

And finally, what if someone at home gets ill or, God forbid, dies? You need to get off the ship in a hurry and get home? Better have that passport.
This is why I finally broke down and applied for them, too scary to think of what could happen in an emergency without them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising, Kerry

Carnival Dream 3/6/16
Carnival Triumph 10/12/13 - Platinum cruise!
Carnival Magic 10/14/12 and 3/9/15
NCL Spirit 3/13/11
RC Voyager 3/16/08
Carnival Conquest 5/28/06 and 3/8/09
RC Rhapsody 11/20/05 and 6/17/07
Carnival Ecstasy 5/12/05, 9/28/06, 3/15/07 and 10/6/07
Carnival Celebration 9/28/02 and 8/9/04
right outside of Memphis, TN
371 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by swiftmodel
Hi! Everyone! I am new to the board and a first time cruiser.(hopefully i will be a repeat cruiser- hubby is not so sure about the whole cruise thing) We are going on a cruise soon and we are wondering who all will be using just there birth certificate and drivers license since it is not mandantory that you have a passport yet?

I will be cruising soon in April this year and I'm gonna hold off until later in the year to get my passport. I'm getting it later this year because I know eventually we will need it and its just a safe thing to have. But for my April cruise, I will just use my BC and DL.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

• Carnival Holiday (August 2003) Graduation Cruise, First Cruise
  • Carnival Sensation (Sept 2005)-xld due to Hurricane Katrina
  • Carnival Ecstasy (May 2006)-Family & Friends
  • Carnival Valor (April 2007)-Me & Hubby
  • Carnival Fascination (Dec 2007)-Girlfriends Cruise
  • Carnival Glory (May 2008)-Me & Hubby
  • Crown Princess (Jan 2009)-Me & Hubby
Central Ohio
16,195 Posts
Joined May 2003
Have never traveled outside the U.S. (except twice to Canada) over the past 30 years without a passport and don't plan to leave this country without one on my person.

Got my first passport in 1968 when I flew to Berlin, Germany to join my husband who was stationed with the U.S. Army. Learned then that a passport is the way to travel outside the U.S.

Made a trip to Canada in 1974 without my passport with no problem. Took my next trip out of the country in 1996 to Europe and re-applied for a passport since my original had expired. Have kept my passport updated and current ever since.

It's so much quicker and easier to just plop my passport on the counter at the airline's or cruise ship check in than to fiddle with paper's showing proof of identity. Like the famikiar commercial says, ``won't leave home without it.''

Dianne
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USASA - We were never there. That's our story and we're sticking to it.
Rhode Island
5,801 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Greenizz41
Hi and welcome. While you don't have to have passport at this time, you are taking a risk. If something happens while on your cruise (illness of someone back home or ANY reason you may have to fly back for) you will not be able to get back into the states as you are required to have a passport to enter. It's really up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I have had one since my first cruise 7 years ago just because of visting other countries you never know what could happen. I hope you and your hubby enjoy your cruise!
This is just not true...you will be able to get back to the states. You don't have to stay on an island forever (though some might like that idea.) While I agree traveling with a passport is best, you can return without one.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c...c_2225.html#12

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card?
Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.
For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I Love The Patriots!
Super Bowl Champions
2001, 2003, 2004

Carnival Fascination 09/2001
Carnival Sensation 10/2003
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 02/2004
Carnival Victory 09/2005
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 01/2006
Carnival Triumph 02/2007
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 10/2007
Carnival Spirit 02/2008
RCCL Independence of the Seas Pre-Inaugural 04/2008
Carnival Destiny 02/2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 10/2009
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 01/2010
NCL Spirit - Boston to Bermuda 09/2010
Carnival Miracle 01/2011
Carnival Glory 09/2011 Halifax and Saint John
RCCL Voyager of the Seas 01/2012 New Orleans to Western Caribbean
NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda 09/2012
Carnival Ecstasy - Bahamas and Key West 02/2013
Carnival Glory - Boston to Canada 6/30/2013
NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda 10/2013
Allure Of The Seas - Western Carib 1/2014
NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda 10/2014
NCL Breakaway - NYC 2 nt cruise to nowhere 01/2015
HAL Veendam Boston to Bermuda 6/2015
NCL Escape Eastern Carib. 1/2016
Carnival Pride 7/2016 Baltimore to Bahamas

Well behaved women rarely make history.
North Louisiana
7,142 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
We have an appointment at the post office to get our passports tomorrow. My friend and I cruise in 2 1/2 months. I hope that allows plenty of time to get the passport in.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~ Jan ~ 131 days at sea, and many more to come!
9/3/06 Conquest; 11/26/06 Conquest; 3/24/07 Fantasy; 10/13/07 Glory; 2/9/08 Ecstasy; 6/15/08 Conquest; 10/20/08 Miracle; 3/22/09 Conquest; 4/18/09 Ecstasy; 9/27/09 Conquest; 3/1/10 Triumph; 5/8/10 Triumph; 10/2/10 Triumph; 5/8/11 Conquest; 9/1/11 Triumph; 11/27/11 Magic; 4/22/12 Magic Western, 4/21/13 Magic, 6/2/14 Triumph, 9/28/14 Magic, 2/28/15 Magic, 4/9/16 Valor
Centennial, CO
1,152 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Go to the local courthouse, clerk of the court's office, have your SS card, your driver's licence and a "passport photo" from Walgreens in your possession and $10 {i think it is] in your wallet, fill out the form and mail it in right there. Allow 8-10 weeks for delivery.

This is from the US sight about the fees for passports.

Passport Fees

March 8, 2005
Routine Services (Form DS-11)
Non-Refundable
Age 16 and older: The passport application fee is $67. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97 .
Under Age 16: The passport application fee is $52. The execution fee is $30. The total is $82 .
The passport application fee includes the $12.00 Security Surcharge, which became effective March 8, 2005.
Methods of Payment -
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
06/08/2009 CCL Paradise U84
12-09-06 Carnival LIberty 7326
8-25-05 Carnival Liberty EURO-6312
5-24-03 Carnival Pride 6226
5-13-2001 Carnival Destiny 9205
10-10-98 Imagination E-9
Michigan
173 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Just my 2 cents. My family, including children, use passports for any out of the country travel as well as any airport travel. Works for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Born4Travel:

Edwardsville IL
280 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
This is from the US sight about the fees for passports.

Passport Fees

March 8, 2005
Routine Services (Form DS-11)
Non-Refundable
Age 16 and older: The passport application fee is $67. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97 .
Under Age 16: The passport application fee is $52. The execution fee is $30. The total is $82 .
The passport application fee includes the $12.00 Security Surcharge, which became effective March 8, 2005.
Methods of Payment -

YIKES!!

I paid nowhere near that for mine 6 years ago.

Leave it to the feds to pass a law making something mandatory and then raising the rates.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Legend - May '08
Carnival Glory - May '07
Carnival Miracle - May '06
Carnival Elation - May '05
Carnival Sensation - Aug '04
Bay Village, Ohio (Cleveland)
1,125 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by mrdood
...and don't misunderstand me, I have a passport, have always had a passport, need it for work and play, I have lived in Europe for several years, traveled all over - had to get extra pages when I was in Europe because of all the stinking government visas etc. I highly recommend getting one.

I just don't like people spreading misinformation that a US citizen will be denied entry into the US without a passport if flying, that is absolutely NOT true. Again, if you are in a hurry, or the airline requires it you will need to be faxed a permission letter from the State Dept. if not, you will just be detained until your citizenship can be validated.

The US citizen, who did not violate foreign laws, trapped abroad is a load of BS!!!
You're absolutely right, but I don't think that anyone is claiming that you would become a "man/woman without a country" if you tried to return to the US by air without a passport, as long as you're a US citizen. However, I suspect that it could be a major hassle, involving many phone calls and discussions with beaurocrats and airline ticket agents, who may not really know what the law really is (they've just been told that no one gets on a US bound plane without a passport).

So, yes, you could return home, eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple days to contact the State Dept., convince them that you really are a citizen and get (and probably pay dearly for) an expedited replacement passport or waiver. And while the website says that waivers can be granted in the case of an emergency, I suspect that staying too long at Margheritaville or Carlos and Charlies' does not really constitute an unavoidable emergency in the eyes of the State Department.

I, for one, would just as soon avoid the potential hassle and use a passport.

Besides, I've heard that the fees, which are already pretty high, are going up (possibly doubling) later this year. Avoid the rush and the increased cost by getting one now.

On our next cruise in April, since we're in this odd interim period in which a birth certificate still works for a normal cruise return, I'm going to take both. If I lose my passport in a foreign port, I can still use my BC to get home. If I get stranded in a foreign port, I will have my PP to fly home with no hassle.

Paul Noble
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul & Linda Noble

1994 - Premier's Oceanic aka "The Big Red Boat"
1999 - Carnival Paradise (non-smoking period)
2004 - Carnival Glory
2005 - HAL Veendam
2006 - HAL Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera
2007 - HAL Zuiderdam
2008 - Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera
2009 - MSC Orchestra
2013 - Celebrity Solstice - Alaska
2014 - HAL Zuiderdam - Panama Canal
Ontario, Canada
18,502 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I know for us Canucks.. those that procrastinated in getting their passports are now waiting in 5hr plus lines just to get into the passport office.. god only knows how long the turn around time is to receive them..

Too each their own.. being a Canadian we really have no choice in the matter if we want to cruise.. most have to fly or drive upteen hours to get to a port.. besides the eastern and western (where passports will not be required)

I would say if you plan on vacationing yearly invest the money now in a passport.. for US Citizens it works out to approximately 10 bucks per year.. hey atleast your passports are valid for 10yrs.. ours up North are only valid for 5yrs and are approximately the same price!!!(quietly praying for the govt to change that soon)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Victory 03/06, Conquest 10/06, Legend 03/07, Freedom 01/08, Legend 10/08, Destiny B2B 04/09, Triumph 12/09, Splendor 04/10, Valor 09/10
Ontario, Canada
18,502 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Darn new upgrades
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Victory 03/06, Conquest 10/06, Legend 03/07, Freedom 01/08, Legend 10/08, Destiny B2B 04/09, Triumph 12/09, Splendor 04/10, Valor 09/10
23,077 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
While you are deciding whether or not to get a passport consider this scenario that was recently posted on another board.

A couple misses their cruise out of Miami due to flight delays. They had to fly to the next port of Jamaica to catch their ship. As of Jan 23 a passport is required to fly to the Caribbean so if they didn't have one after that date they wouldn't have been able to catch up with the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Liberty Travel-Flight Centre USA
Beer City, USA
6,278 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by noblepa
You're absolutely right, but I don't think that anyone is claiming that you would become a "man/woman without a country" if you tried to return to the US by air without a passport, as long as you're a US citizen. However, I suspect that it could be a major hassle, involving many phone calls and discussions with beaurocrats and airline ticket agents, who may not really know what the law really is (they've just been told that no one gets on a US bound plane without a passport).
Not true, one phone call, no delay, no hassle, I KNOW from personal experience from Germany... State dept. faxed the airline direct....
16,912 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by rwilymz
YIKES!!

I paid nowhere near that for mine 6 years ago.

Leave it to the feds to pass a law making something mandatory and then raising the rates.
Interesting because that is exactly what I paid for mine 9 years ago. I just found the canceled check.