Newish Midtown hotel recommendation...

markeb

My wife and I were in Manhattan for a short visit this weekend, and stayed for the first time at the Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel, 35th Street just west of 7th Avenue. The hotel is about a year and a half old, and hadn't been showing up on my "Fifth Avenue Shopping" centered Marriott searches, but this time it showed up and at a good rate, and we decided to try it.

For cruisers arriving by train to Penn Station: The hotel is a block north of Penn Station. If you can drag your bags to the cab line, you can pretty much drag them to 35th. The hotel really caters to business travelers during the week, but on weekends you can probably find a decent (but still Manhattan) rate. Rooms are modern (some unfinished concrete, including the ceiling, for instance), but reasonable size. The big bonus is the hotel has a very nice in house restaurant and bar (which was VERY busy on Thursday and Friday) that can be loud, but had a nice selection of sandwiches, burgers, flatbreads, etc., that wouldn't require you to head out if beat from the train or a flight plus train.

Folks are always looking for hotel recommendations in Manhattan. I think we were in the low $200's with a AAA rate in a full service hotel. The Penn Station area is not my favorite part of town, but we recommend hotels in the area all the time, and this was a very nice one.

That area is a busy area and not sure I would call it a "comfortable" area.

That's our one concern as well. We visit Manhattan enough to be able to deal with it. But we routinely recommend the La Quinta right around the corner, the handful of Residence Inn/Holiday Inn Express, etc., in the area. This is a nicer place in the same general neighborhood.

That's our one concern as well. We visit Manhattan enough to be able to deal with it. But we routinely recommend the La Quinta right around the corner, the handful of Residence Inn/Holiday Inn Express, etc., in the area. This is a nicer place in the same general neighborhood.

Thanks for the new recommendation. I'm adding it to my list of places to check out for others. How bad can the area be? It's a half block from the northwest corner of Macy's.

I'm booked in the La Quinta on Jan 27 at a killer senior rate as part of my precruise plan for sailing Anthem. We were tourists at the EOS last month and I made a point of walking by the hotel on 32nd St. I was very pleased with its location near busy Herald Square PATH, and subway as well as Amtrak since I'm training in from Boston for this trip.

Thanks for the new recommendation. I'm adding it to my list of places to check out for others. How bad can the area be? It's a half block from the northwest corner of Macy's.

You know, it kind of is what it is. 35th towards 8th Avenue was "interesting" (as in a significant number of homeless on the sidewalk, and a fair number of panhandlers). I'd probably head up 7th Avenue at night and cut over to 8th or 9th for restaurants up closer to 44th or so (clear of of the Port Authority Bus Terminal), especially at night, and especially if you're not used to Manhattan. We're planning to stay there again at Thanksgiving, and will almost certainly cab or Uber to Le Bernadin, where we might walk from Midtown East, but that's as much because it is a little further and we'd rather not deal with Times Square. We'll figure this out as we go...

It never ceases to blow my mind that presumably well-traveled tourists choose to stay in the mid-town west or Times Square area.

Where do you stay in Manhattan?

There is a clear logic to my choice of La Quinta for next Jan. I'm coming in on Amtrak and need a plan B to cover myself in case of a snow event. I know I can walk from NY Penn Station to the hotel and from the hotel to PATH to go to Hoboken and on to Cape Liberty on the light rail. I have a PATH senior pass, so it costs me $1 to Hoboken and $1.10 to Bayonne. Cab or Uber into the port should be under $10. For my date I found a hotel base rate under $100.

In a snowstorm I can get to within a half block of the hotel by riding the #1, 2, 3 subway to Times Square and transferring to the N, Q, R, W subway back to 34th St. I should also be able to get to Cape Liberty in some way or another without being on the roads. My tourist objective this trip is to see the 911 memorial area, which is a subway trip downtown on the R train.

It never ceases to blow my mind that presumably well-traveled tourists choose to stay in the mid-town west or Times Square area.

We always stay in this area , have done it last 20 years , walking distance to most of the things we love Broadway plays ( we normally see 4 or 5 ) some of our favorite restaurants and bars, live music , central park etc etc , Last 7 years we have stayed at Michelangelo which is a small elegant hotel on 51st and 7th ( it is not cheap, we normally get a king suite)

Where would you stay? I admit that I really like the neighborhood around Midtown East, but the hotels are better elsewhere. And, one Friday afternoon trying to find a cab that will actually take you cross town to Penn Station (even though legally required to) highlights the benefit of being able to walk to a hotel, with bags, close to Penn Station.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of Times Square either, although that's where the theaters are if you're in town for a show.

Where do you stay in Manhattan?

There is a clear logic to my choice of La Quinta for next Jan. I'm coming in on Amtrak and need a plan B to cover myself in case of a snow event. I know I can walk from NY Penn Station to the hotel and from the hotel to PATH to go to Hoboken and on to Cape Liberty on the light rail. I have a PATH senior pass, so it costs me $1 to Hoboken and $1.10 to Bayonne. Cab or Uber into the port should be under $10. For my date I found a hotel base rate under $100.

In a snowstorm I can get to within a half block of the hotel by riding the #1, 2, 3 subway to Times Square and transferring to the N, Q, R, W subway back to 34th St. I should also be able to get to Cape Liberty in some way or another without being on the roads. My tourist objective this trip is to see the 911 memorial area, which is a subway trip downtown on the R train.

I stay in my apartment! ;p

I guess I assume that most people don't pick their hotel in NYC based on the rare chance of a massive snowstorm that would shut down mass transit that would interfere with the very specific plans that you have.

But I could be wrong.

Times Square is a spectacularly crowded area that has little to offer beyond theater. The Upper West Side, the east side, or downtown are all better options IF you want to stay in an area in Manhattan where New Yorkers live, eat, and drink.

Yes, I know that many New Yorkers live near Times Square (I did for ~15 years) but they typically avoid hanging out in Times Square.

NYC has a remarkably robust mass transit system including subways and busses. So while you could stay in a Times Square hotel, wade through thick crowds of tourists (walking slowly, 5 or so abreast, stopping frequently to look) and "dine" at restaurants where everyone will be a tourist, you could also stay in another area with actual good restaurants, more locals, and a fairly quick commute to the theater. And I would suggest venturing beyond Broadway theaters. Broadway vs. off-Broadway vs. off-off Broadway aren't designations based on quality but rather theater seating capacity.

Needless to say, if you are also interested in one of the high-quality museums in NYC, you will find that Times Square isn't particularly convenient.

I have seen many good off Broadway plays but you do not see Glen Close, Kevin Kline and Sara Bareilles in off Broadway ( saw all on last visit), have seen many Academy award winners on stage , touring groups on also great but again they lack the big stars

I have seen many good off Broadway plays but you do not see Glen Close, Kevin Kline and Sara Bareilles in off Broadway ( saw all on last visit), have seen many Academy award winners on stage , touring groups on also great but again they lack the big stars

Ummm, no. You are, of course, completely wrong.

You can see some "big stars" both on and off Broadway.

It might be best to leave those kinds of "observations" to people who know NYC theater.

Sometimes the "big stars" get the "worst reviews". But they sell tickets to people who don't really care what they see, they just care who they see.

Agree with Mark. Recently we've seen George Takei, Sutton Foster, Matthew Broderick, Zosia Mamet, Annette O'Toole, and Jason Sudeikis in Off Broadway shows, and that's with picking shows by the show, not the cast.

We will have to agree to disagree , I would not go out of my way to see any of the people just listed, we do check reviews , have seen Matthew Broderick a few times but would not see a show just because he was in cast. Again on last visit Glen Close had the longest standing ovation we have ever heard on Broadway, Oscar and Tony winner Kevin Kline was amazing , and Sara Bareilles voice was just great.

We will have to agree to disagree , I would not go out of my way to see any of the people just listed, we do check reviews , have seen Matthew Broderick a few times but would not see a show just because he was in cast. Again on last visit Glen Close had the longest standing ovation we have ever heard on Broadway, Oscar and Tony winner Kevin Kline was amazing , and Sara Bareilles voice was just great.

I didn't realize that you were the arbiter of who makes the list of "big stars". Clearly many New Yorkers who are regular, discerning theatergoers would disagree with some of your assessments.

I didn't realize that you were the arbiter of who makes the list of "big stars". Clearly many New Yorkers who are regular, discerning theatergoers would disagree with some of your assessments.

I think you've got a pretty big advantage living in NYC when it comes to off-Broadway. They just don't get the press out here that they're going to get in town. I could handle pretty much everyone that Nitemare mentions.

I think we've seen two shows with "name" actors. One was the opening week (long, lucky story) of Spamalot with David Hyde Pierce, Hank Azaria and Tim Curry. Funniest show I've ever seen.

The other (forgive me...) was "The Addams Family" with Brooke Shields. 'nuff said...

I think you've got a pretty big advantage living in NYC when it comes to off-Broadway. They just don't get the press out here that they're going to get in town. I could handle pretty much everyone that Nitemare mentions.

I think we've seen two shows with "name" actors. One was the opening week (long, lucky story) of Spamalot with David Hyde Pierce, Hank Azaria and Tim Curry. Funniest show I've ever seen.

The other (forgive me...) was "The Addams Family" with Brooke Shields. 'nuff said...

Oh man - I had tickets to The Addams Family and was lucky that it closed before my date. I got a full refund!

If one is truly interested in seeing some amazing theater, I recommend picking up a copy of The New Yorker (NOT New York Magazine - that's dreck). Towards the front of every issue is a list of Broadway and off-Broadway offerings with synopses and snippets from reviews.

If something catches your eye, you can search a few reviews to see what the critics think (although some critics are crazy!).

And don't forget Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM). They do some really incredible, innovative stuff and it's an easy subway ride from most parts of Manhattan.

Spamalot was one of the funniest show I have ever seen, will be seeing another show that started off broadway in Dallas next month "Hair" Dallas theater won Tony as best regional theater , also got to meet one of the creators when my brother did show in Flushing in 1980, he now runs theater in Florida and has gotten great reviews for WSJ