Pacific Jewel vs Pacific Dawn

Royalty X

We've been on the Sun and the Pearl and we're trying to figure out which P&O ship to sail on next. I know on the outside the two ships are pretty much identical. However, there are a few differences. I know the Dawn is going into drydock for 2 weeks in April (I'm assuming with 2 weeks, they'll make quite a few upgrades, maybe bring some stuff in line with the Pearl & Jewel). What are the good points and bad points of each ship? Which one would you recommend we sail on next? Thanks! :)

Edited by finetuneit

We've been on the Sun and the Pearl and we're trying to figure out which P&O ship to sail on next. I know on the outside the two ships are pretty much identical. However, there are a few differences. I know the Dawn is going into drydock for 2 weeks in April (I'm assuming with 2 weeks, they'll make quite a few upgrades, maybe bring some stuff in line with the Pearl & Jewel). What are the good points and bad points of each ship? Which one would you recommend we sail on next? Thanks! :)

For me, it's got to be Dawn.

I haven't been on the Jewel, but have read lots from pax who have. I know I love the Dawn - find her open and easy to get around. It's great to be able to walk from the MDR at the stern to the theatre at the bow without having to navigate through bars/lounges etc. There always seems to be plenty of room. And, of course, the Dome is great to relax and gaze out on the sea (until the loud music starts in the evenings). :)

• 5 years later...

we love the old pacific jewel she is a great older type ship going on pacific dawn in two weeks time so will be able to compare having said that we feel the sun princess is superior in many ways and the golden princess and diamond princess are a cut above them our most loved ships beside the golden and diamond are the voyager of the seas and exployer of the seas BUT most ships have their own things that apeal to different people cruises are what u make them to be its all up to the individual... going on majestic princess next year cannot wait to see whats she is like happy cruising every one

• 2 weeks later...

We have done both and the Dawn won hands down. Felt better, looked better, easier to get around, I feel as though the Jewel had been messed with and not for the better. If the Dawn has been docked recently I suspect it will add a few fresh changes that hopefully make it even better. Happy sailing whatever you decide. :)

I have just booked a cruise today for my Mum and I on the Dawn for a short 4 night cruise to the Whitsundays on the 29th August. It's Mum's first cruise so I'm hoping she gets bitten by the cruising bug!

I was on the Jewel last year and liked it so I'm looking forward to seeing what the Dawn has to offer!

• 2 weeks later...

We have just come off the newly refurbished Pac Dawn. It is lovely. Having done 6 trips on her before she was getting tatty and old hat. But now she is quite modern. They have added an on board app for your smart phones (go to flight mode so data free) this means you can text each other were you are and not wait and it has 'Daily whats on'. One pool has been turned into a wonderful kids water park. The new pantry style of eatery is very easy. All public areas tropical/bali style furnished light and modern. Cabins no changes but could do with it at some stage (never in them anyway!)

Pac Eden and Pac Aria have a luxurious feel as they still retain some decor from the Holland America line they were purchased from hence the roof that closes over the pool. The cabins -linens/king pillows, shower over bath, Elemis toiletries are lovely (we get ocean view obstructed cabins) Be aware that this ships ocean view cabins on deck 6 do have the promenade deck going past your window.

In a nutshell Pac Dawn a firm favourite especially if you have teenage/young kids. Aria and Eden still good for all but are smaller ships and dont have that young hip feel if thats what you want.