Obese passengers and wall-mounted toilets

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:58 AM.
Virginia
7 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
This is kind of embarrassing to ask but I'm a big girl (like over 300 pounds big) and I'm having some serious anxiety about the wall-mounted toilet in our stateroom. I've heard stories of larger people breaking them from the wall and I wanted to know if the ones on RCI Anthem of the Seas had any sort of weight limit? Anyone else my size or bigger have any experience with the wall-mounted toilets on Royal Caribbean that can put my fears to bed? I've tried to find the answer on my own including calling RCI for the answer and nothing. I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned about this. Help!!!
Maine
11,090 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Carpy the Cat
This is kind of embarrassing to ask but I'm a big girl (like over 300 pounds big) and I'm having some serious anxiety about the wall-mounted toilet in our stateroom. I've heard stories of larger people breaking them from the wall and I wanted to know if the ones on RCI Anthem of the Seas had any sort of weight limit? Anyone else my size or bigger have any experience with the wall-mounted toilets on Royal Caribbean that can put my fears to bed? I've tried to find the answer on my own including calling RCI for the answer and nothing. I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned about this. Help!!!
I would say that any stories of breaking a toilet off the bulkhead are urban legends. Naturally, the weight limit is not a readily available technical term, but I have found one for the most commonly used toilet in the cruise industry, and it is 600 lbs. There is a steel frame on the other side of the wall that the toilet is bolted to, and you would either have to shear these two bolts, or tear the welded angle iron out of the deck to tear a toilet off the bulkhead.
North West NJ
4,584 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by chengkp75
I would say that any stories of breaking a toilet off the bulkhead are urban legends. Naturally, the weight limit is not a readily available technical term, but I have found one for the most commonly used toilet in the cruise industry, and it is 600 lbs. There is a steel frame on the other side of the wall that the toilet is bolted to, and you would either have to shear these two bolts, or tear the welded angle iron out of the deck to tear a toilet off the bulkhead.
Thank you for taking the time to ease this young ladies concern.
San Diego
4,523 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
You could also consider the rental (or purchase and take with you) of an over-toilet bariatric commode chair that has the weight capacity you need. Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Guard...5CGZYVSW62SQ7J
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1986 HA Constitution: Hawaii 7 day
1988 NCL Skyward: Western Caribbean 7 day
1992 Crystal Harmony: Transcanal 15 day
1994 Golden Princess: Mexican Riviera 7 day
1995 HA Independence: Hawaii 7 day
1997 Celebrity Zenith: Transcanal 15 day
1999 Grand Princess: Mediterranian 14 day
2000 Regal Princess: Alaska Inside Passage 7 day
2000 Crystal Harmony: SF to Sydney 20 day
2001 HAL Ryndam: Cape Horn/SA 17 day
2003 HAL Statendam: Hawaii RT San Diego 15 day
2003 RCI Vision of the Seas: Mexican Riviera 7 day
2004 HAL Ryndam: Sea of Cortez 10 day
2004 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2005 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2006 Celebrity Mercury Mexican Riviera RT San Diego 10 day
2009 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2010 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2013 HAL Westerdam Alaska Inside Passage RT Seattle 7 day
2015 Hurtigruten Trollfjord RT Bergen 11 day
2017 AmaCerto Tulip Time-RT Amsterdam 7 day

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save
Florida
319 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
I think at my peak weight on any cruise was around 360. I didn't even hear a groan from the toilet I think especially if you have a HC room they have reinforcements. AND don't do as I did and run across the state room and bound in the air and land on the toilet. It hurts and don't ask me how I know!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Epic January 2017
Celebrity Constellation Dec 2015
Vision of the Seas December 2014
Brilliance of the Seas November 2014
Allure of the Seas April 2012
Celebrity Summit February 2011
- February 2012
Liberty of the Seas February 2010
Celebrity Solstice February 2009
Carnival Valor April 2008
Jewel of the Seas February 2008
Carnival Liberty February 2007
Carnival Triumph April 2006
Celebrity Horizon August 2005
Celebrity Century February 2004
- April 2007
Celebrity Millennium April 2003
Celebrity Zenith February 2002
- December 2004
- February 2006
Central Ohio
2,066 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
DH was close to 435 lbs last year when we cruised on Carnival and he had no issues. I can't image the toilets on RCCL are much different.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2016 - Carnival Sunshine (CA/NE)
2015 - Carnival Paradise
2014 - Carnival Elation
2012 - Carnival Sensation